Travel Bug Not logged Out or In of previous cache

Bernie The Geocacher

Hi there

I can't see this specifically in the Forum so apologies if it has been mentioned before.

I picked up a TB a few days ago and went to log it but it was not in the cache. I knopw that if it was in somebodies care, I would have waited to log the find. However this TB was placed on the 8th August and not mentioned since. I found it on the Isle of Wight and "Found it somewhere else than where it was logged". Can I do anything to get it placed in the cache and retrieved to get the mileage to work for the owner.

If I delete my log, could I do it that way?

Many thanks

Bernie

Edited by bernie1234

If you still have the tracking code with you you can post a note to the cache that you found it in and virtually drop the TB in the cache. Then "retrieve" the TB right out of there again. This is called "dipping". Most folks will then delete the "dip" log on the cache page.

Happens all the time.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I would just post a note something to the effect of "dropping and picking up the TB. Was in the cache, but not logged."

Try to be nice with what you write, no need to point out who didn't log it or anything like that.

*edit* deleting the 'dip' sounds like a good idea.

Edited by sportside

That's cool.

Worked out that adding a note, I could drop off the TB and then retrieve it. Added a good hundred miles to the TB now. All looks great in the logs.

Thanks for the help.

Issue resolved :D:laughing:

I would just post a note something to the effect of "dropping and picking up the TB. Was in the cache, but not logged."

Try to be nice with what you write, no need to point out who didn't log it or anything like that.

*edit* deleting the 'dip' sounds like a good idea.

You can do this. But I only would do this when it's really neccesairy (lik great distances). Otherwise just retrieve it from somewhere else.

I think it's only fair to give the bug credit for being there. It doesn't take that much effort to log it.

The thing to watch for is to not Grab it away too soon. You need to give people a few days time to catch on their logging.

I always try to "dip" bugs/coins that I find in wrong caches. Never heard it called that, but it fits.

If the cache was moved very recently, I presume that someone hasn't made the drop yet, but if it's been months or even a couple weeks, I'll do it.

By doing the dip, you're also showing that the coin visited a certain state that it may not get credit for otherwise and that can be a bummer for the owner if it was really there but doesn't get the mileage/location.

I recently dropped two bugs and forgot to write down their tracking numbers. Couldn't go back since they I dropped them while on vacation. I'd like to fix the logs if possible. I sent notes to the owners, but neither has responded. One was grabbed and the other must still be there. Is there a way to fix without the tracking numbers?

Not without the tracking numbers, sorry.

You could jump through a lot of hoops, asking owners, and past cachers if they maybe, might have, somehow recorded the numbers. Ask someone who recently picked it up, maybe, but ask yourself first if you want to do that. Then you'd have to do some postdating, and logging notes.

Edited by Eartha

I recently dropped two bugs and forgot to write down their tracking numbers. Couldn't go back since they I dropped them while on vacation. I'd like to fix the logs if possible. I sent notes to the owners, but neither has responded. One was grabbed and the other must still be there. Is there a way to fix without the tracking numbers?

What exactly are you trying to fix? Did you already log the bugs into a cache or are they/were they still showing as in your hands? If in your hands you are able to drop the bugs.

What exactly are you trying to fix? Did you already log the bugs into a cache or are they/were they still showing as in your hands? If in your hands you are able to drop the bugs.

whartonia picked up a couple travel bugs and then placed them in another cache without writing down the tracking number. There are still in the previous cache listing.

I have a related but slightly different problem. I picked up a TB that had been dropped in New York after traveling from Washington state. The previous holders didn't log the NY drop, and after several weeks and multiple messages sent via GC.com I gave up on that. I logged that I "grabbed" it from the previous holders, but then erred by not doing what I am now reading in these threads is a common practice of "dipping" it in the cache I found it in. My next log was dropping it in a cache in Vegas. Since then it has been logged out, and has been logged into Canada.

Is there a way to give this TB proper credit for visiting NY, instead of going from WA to NV as it currently appears?

To recap:

TB logged out of WA

TB dropped in NY but not logged

TB grabbed

TB *not* dipped in NY

TB dropped in NV and logged

TB logged out of NV

TB dropped in Canada and logged

I just don't know if there is a way to dip out of order. It's not a disaster if it can't be done of course, but I feel bad for messing up several thousand miles of this TBs journey by my mistake.

I have a related but slightly different problem. I picked up a TB that had been dropped in New York after traveling from Washington state. The previous holders didn't log the NY drop, and after several weeks and multiple messages sent via GC.com I gave up on that. I logged that I "grabbed" it from the previous holders, but then erred by not doing what I am now reading in these threads is a common practice of "dipping" it in the cache I found it in. My next log was dropping it in a cache in Vegas. Since then it has been logged out, and has been logged into Canada.

Is there a way to give this TB proper credit for visiting NY, instead of going from WA to NV as it currently appears?

To recap:

TB logged out of WA

TB dropped in NY but not logged

TB grabbed

TB *not* dipped in NY

TB dropped in NV and logged

TB logged out of NV

TB dropped in Canada and logged

I just don't know if there is a way to dip out of order. It's not a disaster if it can't be done of course, but I feel bad for messing up several thousand miles of this TBs journey by my mistake.

Backlogging is quite easy, but you'll need the tracking number. If you don't have it you can ask the owner for the information.

I prefer to wait until the bug is sitting a cache - Retrieve it out and post a back-dated note on the cache you want to drop it in. Just give a short explanation of what you are doing and that you will delete the note.

Drop the bug in. You can immediately delete the cache note and the bug will stay put.

Now go to the bug page and do a back-dated Retrieve.

Post a note on the cache it is really sitting in and drop the bug back in. Delete that note and go to the bug page and delete your Retrieve and Drop logs for the current cache. That way it'll show the last finder to be the one who did the drop.

Please let me know if I need to clarifly anything.