GC Google Maps not showing waypoints

supertbone

I have noticed that for the past week that the GC Google Map does not repopulate with waypoints when you enter an address in to the "Zoom to address" field. The map for the new address shows up, but the waypoints don't. I have seen this in both IE 7 and FF 3.

When I did this in IE 7 I got the following error:

Line: 362

Char: 34

Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

Code: 0

URL: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx

I have noticed that for the past week that the GC Google Map does not repopulate with waypoints when you enter an address in to the "Zoom to address" field. The map for the new address shows up, but the waypoints don't. I have seen this in both IE 7 and FF 3.

When I did this in IE 7 I got the following error:

Line: 362

Char: 34

Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

Code: 0

URL: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx

I've got the same problem; the map is shown, but followed by the message "requesting geocaches", after a second then "parsing geocaches".

Im using an Apple MacBook with MacOS X 10.5.5 with Mozilla Firefox 3.03, the same result with Safari 3.1.2.

The problem exists for a week or so.

Help!

Regards

Bernd

Edited by schrumbi

I've noticed a few quirky things with the Google Geocaching Maps too.

Issue 1. If I go to an area by using the address search and enter a city (say Hartford, CT for example) and drag around the area looking at caches and then enter a new area (say Stamford, CT for example), 70 miles away, when the map recenters on Stamford, it won't load caches in that area or gets stuck with the parsing geocaces message.

The only solution that works is to refresh (F5) the page, which takes me to the startup lake map and then enter Stamford, CT from there. I find that it'll work in Stamford, CT if I drag my way from Hartford to Stamford. It'll continually reload the page and update caches as the map recenters, but once I try to enter (through the search box) an area that's not shown in the map, it'll take me there but won't show any caches.

This happens with all cities anywhere in the country. I'm just using Hartford & Stamford as examples.

Issue 2. Sometimes, it gets goofy and doesn't know where to go. Yesterday, I entered Newport, RI, but it took me to somewhere different. I was entering the correct info because the auto-form thing showed it correctly. It took 4 tries before it went to the right location. The other day I tried to enter Westchester, NY, and it kept putting me in Waco, TX.

Issue 3. And lastly, sometimes when I drag the map, it does some kind of a "super scroll" where I can be in Hartford, CT and drag the map 3 inches, which would normally move it a couple towns over, but it zooms 100 miles away, up into MA or down to NY.

This happens with Vista and XP when using both FF 3.03 and IE7 (whatever the latest version is that the Windows Update would have given me).

Edit to say that issues 2 & 3 are random, but issue 1 happens all the time.

Edited by Skippermark

It's the same with maps in germany.

Some hours ago, it still worked but now there's no chance to have the caches shown in a certain area.

Only the "map it" button in a user's account works and zooming in and out works as well. But once I want to zoom to another adress, e.g. another city in germany, this error appears (I am using firefox 3.0.3)

[edit]

after that error occured, the "grabbing and moving" of the map with the mouse cursor isn't possible any more. The map moves much faster than the mouse cursor. That's why I assume a connection with the google maps.

greetinx from germany

Edited by Seve

I thought the problem was a new hardware spam and internet controlling device at work, but I discovered that the problem also exists at home. When looking at google maps for nearby geocaches, I see no hits for the current cache or any other. I've tried different geocaches that I know have just a few or a lot around them. Same issue. See no items on the maps.

Very disappointing since I'm trying to plan for geocaching in a couple other states. Hope it gets fixed ASAP.

IE 6.0 & 7.0.

I am having the same issue. I've tried it on two seperate systems with both IE and firefox.

Sometimes when I grab the map, i find that it is moving further than I am dragging it (ie, move the cursor 1", the map moves 2"s).

One system is Vista Home Premium. The other is XP. I typically use firefox (currently 3.0.3) but i've had issues in IE as well.

We are getting this same problem, too. I have tried IE6, IE7, Firefox2, firefox3 and Google Chrome and the same thing happens on all of them. I also updated my Java and Flash player but it has made no difference. This is very annoying. If you look at the history, this problem first manifested itself over a year ago. Why hasn't it been fixed?

Very fed up Solesearchers :blink:

We are getting this same problem, too. I have tried IE6, IE7, Firefox2, firefox3 and Google Chrome and the same thing happens on all of them. I also updated my Java and Flash player but it has made no difference. This is very annoying. If you look at the history, this problem first manifested itself over a year ago. Why hasn't it been fixed?

Very fed up Solesearchers :laughing:

It is annoying. I reported it two weeks ago tomorrow and I have seen the problem longer than that. Groundspeak has yet to acknowledge the issue.

You are not alone with his "parsing geocaches" problem.

There is also the same topic in a "german speaking" thread.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...rsing+geocaches

The reason for this problem is definitely not the user pc or mac, just as the webbrowser that used.

I've mailed to Groundspeak for help.

The answer from Groundspeak today was:

---

Axel,

I've finally been able to replicate this issue and filed a bug report with our development team. It's in their hands now. Unfortunately, I don't know when it'll be resolved.

Regards,

Eric

Groundspeak, Inc.

Ticket Details

===================

Ticket ID: ZXV-191862

---

Let's see what happens.

Regards from Germany,

Axel

Beware, technical speak ahead :unsure:

Google v2 api has an error in it. I've pushed out a new page that references the 2.x API (Latest and Greatest) version until I can track down where the error is in their code and report it.

Let me know if you're seeing the error still as I can't no longer reproduce it using 2.x

-Raine

I just started getting this error a couple of days ago. I've tried Win XP Home Ed using IE7 and FireFox3. From my Account Details page I click the Map It link. From there I enter a new city, state and it shows the correct map, but the caches from my home location still show up as an overlay. I've noticed this problem when using the search feature. When I drag the map to the next town over it usually works as it's supposed to but not always. I also get the parsing error every now and then, but not consistently.

Hi

Yes the error is still there. Anytime I use Zoom to Address, the caches are no longer being updated. tested in FF3 and IE7...

Vladimir

It has been happening a while now, but it is intermittent.

we do have the problem on a Mac Powerbook G4 (PPC) with safari and firefox.

On a Macbook Pro we also have the problem in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine running XP with IE7, or a Parallels virtual machine running Win2k with IE

On the MacBook Pro it sometimes works... weird.