For the Fun of It

yougogirl64

Well of course I do it for the fun of it. With the exception of work I try to make everything fun. I wouldn't do crazy things like walk around in the woods at night or stand in a parking lot pretending my GPS is a phone if it wasn't fun. Of course that doesn't mean that I don't log my finds, but if there was no way to log them I'd still geocache. I wake up every day hoping something new is published or that I'll have a chance to find an existing one. :D

I assume that we all just cache for the fun of it.

Exactly. What else would people do it for? The money? The dental plan? Forced to by their parents? (I guess there's probably a few of that last one).

There's a Dental Plan??? :D

We're in it for the fun, but log our Finds and DNF's. They tell the story of our fun.

You should log your finds, not so much because it's essential to the fun, but because it's a nice courtesy to the owner. Logs let the owner know that their cache is still serviceable and good to hunt. The same applies to other hunters who might glance at the logs first.

Besides, when I don't get any find logs, I start to get kind of depressed. :D

FWIW.

I think of my online log as my way of thanking the owner for placing the cache. (Generally the more I like a cache, the more I am inclined to write). Logging online isn't just about the numbers, it's also about sharing your experience.

If you want to avoid the numbers aspect altogether you could post a note instead of a find, or post a find and delete it so that at least the owner get's an email, or send a personal note to the owner.

I am in it for the McToys. I am certain that when the economy collapses in the near future McToys will become the new currency. I am stocking up while everyone else is giving them away. Shhh don't let anyone else know.

Seriously, I am a rookie at geocaching and got into it because my father-in-law wanted to do it with the grandkids. My oldest son is only 4 but has fun on the "treasure hunts". I am the only one that logs our finds on the net though. My FIL has no interest in the online portion of geocaching. To him its a way to get his grandkids to go hiking with him. I enjoy posting logs and reading others experiences with the cache.

We geocache because it is fun.

I log all our finds and dnfs and keep track in a spreadsheet that I have maintained for 7 years. I like seeing our progress and milestones.

I enjoy logging on line and the statistical benefits of doing so. I set goals for century marks, DeLorme Challenges, County Challenges and more.

One goal I have really been enjoying is changing the colors of the counties we cache in on the It's Not About The Numbers state maps. Colors change as the cache finds increase. I post these maps at the bottom of our profile page and look at them frequently when organizing caching trips... and also just for the fun of seeing the progress.

I guess the question being asked is really "Who doesn't like logging?" Is that right?

Not me. Writing my logs, found or not found, is a big part of the fun for me. I like writing them, I like to think the hider and others enjoy reading them, and I like reviewing them years later.

I agree. Writing the logs is a big part of the fun. Sometimes I just sit at home and write 'Found' logs for caches in Germany that I've never even looked for. :rolleyes:

I guess the question being asked is really "Who doesn't like logging?" Is that right?

Not me. Writing my logs, found or not found, is a big part of the fun for me. I like writing them, I like to think the hider and others enjoy reading them, and I like reviewing them years later.

I agree. Writing the logs is a big part of the fun. Sometimes I just sit at home and write 'Found' logs for caches in Germany that I've never even looked for. :rolleyes:

;)

:)

icon_twak.gif

Yes, it clearly is. Some of the early posts were off target, and I was afraid we'd have angst, allegations of mythical geo-meanies who try to take away other people's fun, etc... But it seems to be on track now. ;)

Same here. I found 13 caches last Sunday (most of them in the same park with 3+ miles of hiking), and I couldn't wait to get home and log them. I always feel like that when I go out for a whole day of caching, it might actually be the funnest part for me. Assuming there's a beer next to me, I suppose. :rolleyes: Yep, and reviewing them much later is lots of fun too.

I'm with you there, WhiteUrkel. Although logging isn't THE most fun part of caching for me, it ranks right up there :rolleyes:

I love walking through the woods with my GPSr in hand, enjoying the solitude and the birds chirping in the trees .......and that guy over to the left who is flashing me???!?!? icon_chewie2.gif

EEEWWWWW!!!

icon_gtfo.gif

Edited by Kohavis

I always log my finds because that's part of the fun, my geocaching account is a record in words, pictures and co-ordinates of my adventures over the past 2 years.

I know of someone with over 200 finds who has only logged one cache online. I guess logging online and having an account with a number next to it holds no interest for some people.

I always log my finds because that's part of the fun, my geocaching account is a record in words, pictures and co-ordinates of my adventures over the past 2 years.

I know of someone with over 200 finds who has only logged one cache online. I guess logging online and having an account with a number next to it holds no interest for some people.

That's good for them. But like sataraid1 said, it is important because it helps the CO know when the cache may need maintenance. A good "Found It" with no mention of the cache condition tells him that all is well. Maybe not so important with a cache that gets a find every day, but there are plenty out there that may get a log entry once a month or less.

.....(snip).....Maybe not so important with a cache that gets a find every day, but there are plenty out there that may get a log entry once a month or less.

I totally enjoy finding a cache that hasn't been found for quite a while, and reporting, through a "found it" log, that the hide is in great shape. It save the CO the worry about hiking or boating out to check on something that is really OK.

I cache for the fun of it.

I hide caches for the fun of it.

The actual hiding of the cache only lasts for a very short time. What continues to be fun is reading the logs of the people who have hunted for my caches.

That's the biggest reason I can think of for logging my finds (or DNFs) online. If I enjoy reading others' logs, so must other cache owners.

I assume that we all just cache for the fun of it.

Exactly. What else would people do it for? The money? The dental plan? Forced to by their parents? (I guess there's probably a few of that last one).

There's a Dental Plan??? ;)

I keep telling people not to talk about Platinum membership benefits. :rolleyes:

I was curious to find out is anybody else out there just for the fun of it? We don't always record our finds, we just like to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors. Our blue Legend has proved to be a really good entry level unit, easy to use and generally gets us within 10-20 feet.

We are to have fun while doing this? :rolleyes::);)

Yes, I have fun, I enjoy the thrill of finding the cache. Taking in the scenery and fresh air is a plus for me.

You should log your finds, not so much because it's essential to the fun, but because it's a nice courtesy to the owner. Logs let the owner know that their cache is still serviceable and good to hunt. The same applies to other hunters who might glance at the logs first.

Besides, when I don't get any find logs, I start to get kind of depressed. ;)

FWIW.

You should log those finds because YOUR MOTHER SAID SO!!!!

THERE!

Mother Chuckwagon :):rolleyes::D

What!?! This is supposed to be fun?!? I must be going about this all wrong... :rolleyes:

Well after all, there ARE those who get their kicks bein' chained up suspended by their wrists & gettin' bullwhipped....so why not?

We all have our bears to be crossed.

Bu-u-u-u-ut, you know...... Mushtang's got his Benjamins

Tozain's got his Barca-Lounger

Kohav's got his solitude & birds chirping their merry melodies

& Urkel gets his gigglez logging.

For me, it's all about the single-word "TFTC" logs .... I live for those!

And when I'm blessed with the occasional "Found it!" .... why, I pure have to lay down awhile to get over the excitement.

~*

While Sue and I and most of our geo-friends engage in geocaching for the fun of it, I do know several pro geocachers, that is, people who a professional geocachers and who support themselves by doing so. In fact, this thread and my disclosure above have inspired me to start a thread on pro geocaching, that is, the small number of geocachers (under three hundred, by my count) who support themselves by geocaching.

Getting my graduate degree from GeocachingU and having Platinum Membership bestowed upon me has changed my life.

I used to cache for fun, but being paid per cache has made the game stressful.

Once I could meet cachers on the trail, join up with them and hunt the cache together, but now with so much money at stake I cannot allow them to beat me to the cache.

I never thought shooting people would be this stressful, but with my income at stake I have learned to live with it.

It is a consolation to remember that GEOCACHING DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CHINLDREN though I am sure that they hate to lose adults foolish enough to who actually pay a membership fee.

TAR, I feel your pain, and, coincidentally, your reply would also be perfect for the new thread which I have just started here, called How Many Pro Geocachers are Among Us?, And How Do You/They Earn a Living via Professional Geocaching? Please feel to use that thread to discuss your angst as a pro geoacher, rather than taking this current "fun" thread too far off topic!

Although there are a bunch of members of TEAM NIGHTWATCH, there are only three of us that regularly log our finds, everybody else just comes along for the enjoyment of our wonderful company :) and I guess to enjoy nature as well.

I like to log my finds mainly because it gives me something to do when I'm bored at work.... tehehehe

Edited by ccwrestlechik105