Most visited cache?

Danie Viljoen

I used GSAK to extract a filter of all the SA caches, and the cache with the most "Found" logs turns out to be GCMYYZ Table Top Trove in the Western Cape - 184 finds!

To set the filter, I went to Search...Filter and then selected the "Logs" tab. Then I went to the Log Type section and selected the "Found It" option.

Please remember that a pocket query only contains the last 10 or 15 logs. So to use the above method you well have needed to be getting pocket quires from geocaching's conception. To get all the logs of a cache you need to download each GPX individually from the cache pages, which you have at some point done with GCMYYZ Table Top Trove. Please don’t get me wrong, (GCMYYZ Table Top Trove) might be the cache with the most finds. I just don’t have all the relevant info to confirm that.

Hi iNokia - you have a valid point!

However, there is a macro called "AddLogs.gsk" that will populate each cache listing in GSAK with all the missing logs - it accesses the GC site to do so. The only hassle with this method is that you have to run the macro on each cache line individually in GSAK!

Maybe, when I have nothing else to do, I will do just that!

I update all the caches on a weekly basis, so I should not need to run the macro thereafter.

OK, you can called me obsessed, but I've actually just finished updating all 3572 caches in my GSAK database with the AddLogs.gsk makro! Took me ages, but now it's done!!!

I then ran the FoundLogsCount.gsk makro to count all the Found logs for each cache in my database, and the top 10 caches, in terms of finds are as follows:

1. GCMYYZ Table Top Trove - 188 finds

2. GC3055 Smuts House, Irene - 184 finds

3. GC43FA Historical Series Harbour entrance - 163 finds

4. GC9CC4 Signal Hill - 161 finds

5. GCAF35 Sea Point Historical 1 - 126 finds

6. GCA538 Sea Point Contact - 123 finds

7. GCWK3K TF16 180° Sea - 122 finds

8. GC13FB Pretoria-East 001: - 118 finds

9. GC114RH Cape Town TB Hotel - 116 finds

10. GCP64K Konsentrasiekampkerkhof - 113 finds

GlobalRat, I've been doing a bit of checking on the number of caches in my database, as well as on the GC site itself, and I can't see how you get to the 4,000 odd caches in SA?

My database of 3572 caches includes event caches and archived caches. When I do a search of all SA caches, using the "Hide and Seek a Cache" function, I get 3118 caches listed.

Edited by Blackjack Bailey

GlobalRat, I've been doing a bit of checking on the number of caches in my database, as well as on the GC site itself, and I can't see how you get to the 4,000 odd caches in SA?

My database of 3572 caches includes event caches and archived caches. When I do a search of all SA caches, using the "Hide and Seek a Cache" function, I get 3118 caches listed.

BB, you would not have caches that were archived prior to creating your GSAK database as PQ's do not send data of archived caches. Unless you had found some of these long archived caches, you would be quite unaware of them.

E.g. most people would not have the first ever cache in SA on their databases, GCZA01 or a cache like Borat

Similarly if you have update PQ's running on say a Tuesday and a Friday, if a cache were published on a Wednesday and then archived before your PQ on Friday generates, you would never receive it unless you downloaded it manually.

So, the total figure of caches that have been listed is around the 3950 mark.

Don't rest Blackjack, you have only answered the first half of the question. Now we all wait with bated breath to find out which cache is found the most frequently....(that sounds like an....easy.....thing to work out..........)

Mmmm - how does one define frequency of finds per cache? My definition is the number of finds divided by the number of days between the date of the cache listing and the date of the last find.

Based on that definition, here is my top 10 most frequently found cache (give or take a few days outdated caches). I have excluded event caches from the list.

1. GC137CQ Reservoir - 3.50 finds per day

2. GC17RMF Rose Garden - 3.33 finds per day

3. GC1F149 Down by the river - 2.67 finds per day

4. GC1F146 Tree with a view - 2.67 finds per day

5. GC17RNK Old Diamond Mine - 2.67 finds per day

6. GC17RN4 Island View - 2.00 finds per day

7. GC1HN8E Halloween 2008 - 1.50 finds per day

8. GC17BKJ Termite House - 1.50 finds per day

9. GC1EY96 Mill Point View - 1.40 finds per day

10. GC1GZKH Of Grave Concern - 1.29 finds per day

Edited by Blackjack Bailey

Something I found quite interesting.

I have been getting a list of all the caches in the UK. Some of more extream PQ's I created are only 5 days apart to get to the maximum of less then 500 caches per PQ. Most PQ created for 2008 are 8 to 10 days apart. That means 500 caches are hidden every 10 days in the whole of the UK. (Andy would be very very buzy - haha) but of course they have more reviewers there.

Yes BB your formula is good but in the real world out there a new cache can have 4 cachers on the first day and will be on top of the list but a year later you are lucky if you have 2 hits in one month.(With this method only new caches will be on the top 10 list).

Maybe if you can do your formula only on caches that is maybe older than one month?

Maybe if you can do your formula only on caches that is maybe older than one month?

Good point!

I have now filtered my database to exclude any caches placed since 30 September 2008, so the top most frequently found caches are as follows (not very different to my first list):

2. GC17RMF Rose Garden - 3.33 finds per day

3. GC1F149 Down by the river - 2.67 finds per day

4. GC1F146 Tree with a view - 2.67 finds per day

5. GC17RNK Old Diamond Mine - 2.67 finds per day

6. GC17RN4 Island View - 2.00 finds per day

7. GC17BKJ Termite House - 1.50 finds per day

8. GC1EY96 Mill Point View - 1.40 finds per day

9. GC1BZZ9 Little Egypt - 1.14 finds per day

10. GCYF8F Rock with a View - 1.00 find per day

Something not right.

If I look at the logs for this cache, there are a total of 7 logs.

Published the 28th of May 2007,

first found 26 May 2007, and archived 8 November 2007,

This with my (rough) calculations would be:

Days from May to November: 166 Days

Divided by the 7 finds,

Would be one find every 23 days.

Or .041 caches per day.

Also been looking at trying to find the highest cache find. Only way I think is to go through each cache via the web site to look at the amount of finds.

Mr DamhuisClan - you have clearly not read my posts properly! :blink:

In post #20, I stated that my definition as follows: "My definition is the number of finds divided by the number of days between the date of the cache listing and the date of the last find."

Also been looking at trying to find the highest cache find. Only way I think is to go through each cache via the web site to look at the amount of finds.

Read post #8 for the answer! Makro called FoundLogsCount.gsk.

Hmm ... You are correct, that I did not read it properly!

I do think, (and maybe we getting into semantics here), that is not a completely fair way to measure cache finds, as this was an event cache, and from the logs very short lived (if you look at the logs).

But, yes I suppose you had defined it, and those were the results from the definition.

I specifically excluded Event caches from my calculations, so I was surprised when you mentioned that this cache was an event cache. I checked it out and it is a traditional cache, but was placed at the time of an event, so most of the finds were logged at the time of the event, and then it went AWOL soon afterwards.

Not sure how to exclude this type of cache from my calculations...

Maybe the easiest is to get the top 10, look at the descriptions, and then remove them from list if they were part of an event cache.

One would need to find a formula, which would make it fair to all caches for the "highest visit frequency".

How about visits per month? This would allow a very old cache the same chance as a new cache.