GeoKs' First Personal Geocoin

GeoKs

Woohoo! We're excited to announce our first personal geocoin "Highwood Pass". Several versions have been minted, but our main trading edition is the "Canadian edition" in antique silver with an antique copper benchmark:

2972263658_50f13fd261.jpg2971420443_6f5d06f416.jpg

45 mm across

4.8 mm thick

The minting process required three 3D dies: one for the front, one for the back and a separate one for the benchmark. "Trackable at geocaching.com" is stamped on the edge of the coin and it will have a custom icon on gc.com.

Our Canadian edition (qty = 125) is available for trade only. Please contact us via e-mail if you're interested in trading, preferably for your own personal geocoin. These coins are currently in transit from Victoria to Calgary. Once we have a chance to see the other finishes up close we'll post further details.

A special Landsharkz edition (qty = 100), satin nickel with a polished nickel benchmark is available here.

Thanks to Helen & Chris at Landsharkz for helping us through the design and minting process. We couldn't have done it without you!!

THE STORY BEHIND THIS COIN:

At 2206 meters (7170 feet), Highwood Pass is the highest point in Canada that can be reached by paved roadway. Many of our favourite hikes in the Canadian Rockies start at the Highwood Pass Day Use parking lot or nearby parking areas and so far we've hidden over a dozen geocaches on the mountains shown in 3D relief on the front of the geocoin. The meadow adjacent to GC1GG69 Pocaterra Cirque is Mrs. GeoKs' favourite spot in the whole world.

We've been hiking with our kids for 5 years now, and always try to be prepared for any eventuality. Even so, there have been a couple of times we've been caught without all the necessary gear, so in addition to full rain gear, tuques and gloves for everyone, we now consider all the items shown on the reverse of the coin to be essential geohiking equipment: a good multi-tool, our backpacks with trekking poles, comfortable Gortex-lined hiking books, our camera (this one is our oldest GeoKid's Canon G9), bear spray and an air horn (to scare any bears away), a good first aid kit, our GPSr, and lots of water and food to keep our GeoKids fueled up while on the trail.

The benchmark in the centre of the coin represents the Canada Geodetic Survey marker closest to the summit of Highwood Pass. The marker was installed in the 1950s, but an attempt by the Canadian Geological Survey to confirm its location in the 1980s was unsuccessful. This past summer we tried to locate the marker, without success; we plan to try again next year.

Thanks to everyone who requested a trade. Any trade where we've finalized terms was either mailed Sunday or will be in the mail tomorrow.

While our main interest is in trades for other personal geocoins, we will also consider offers to trade for coins on our seeking list on geocoincollection.net (see link below).

See post #1 for our main trading version - the Canadian edition.

We also have a 3-coin set available for trade, antique silver with polished nickel, antique copper and antique bronze benchmarks. 25 sets minted. We'll consider trades for multiple coins or VHTF coins.

3003081973_f17d95f7a5.jpg

3003917764_087e7de42c.jpg

3003081843_731369463e.jpg

And finally, we have 2 versions in antique bronze, which I guess you could call LEs as only 25 of each were minted. One has a black nickel benchmark and the other an antique silver benchmark. We'll consider trades of LE or HTF coins.

3003081755_13d581ddfb.jpg

3003081663_5c17110a51.jpg

Please contact us by e-mail if you're interested in trading. And thanks for all the positive comments!!

Geoks.gif

Thank you GeoKs for this beautiful geocoin you give me as surprise, i just show it to my parents and they keep looking at the coin, they were impressed, just like me :anibad:

thank you thank you for your generous gift <_< , you did a great job making this personal geocoin :blink::mad:

Edited by Geo.Error

If only there was some way we could meet face-to-face to trade personals.... are you ever in Calgary :lol::):lol:

I know, I know...we had to miss WWFM IV :D

How about Pizza & Beer night on the 27th? Or A Cacher's Christmas Dec 21?

BTW, I managed to trade for the original silver geobone the other day!! :lol::lol:

If only there was some way we could meet face-to-face to trade personals.... are you ever in Calgary :lol::):lol:

I know, I know...we had to miss WWFM IV :D

How about Pizza & Beer night on the 27th? Or A Cacher's Christmas Dec 21?

BTW, I managed to trade for the original silver geobone the other day!! :lol::lol:

Wow! Lucky you - *I* can't even get those any more! (although, this summer I completely lucked-out and found three of them in the bottom of my filing cabinet).

Your new coin is great and I'm sure we'll find some place to meet. I'm pretty reclusive lately - so hopefully I can get to an event sometime soon.

Love the use of a brass cap in your design.