Can't "find" cache listing on 60CS

jimnade

After downloading over 500 cache waypoints, the only way I can select a particular one is to scroll down the list...beep, beep and more beeps. I am hoping someone can tell me how to "select" one and have it appear, rather than scrolling down the list of GCxxxx's. We are using a Garmin Map 60CS. Thank you in advance for any reply.

Jimnade

Edited by jimnade

After downloading over 500 cache waypoints, the only way I can select a particular one is to scroll down the list...beep, beep and more beeps. I am hoping someone can tell me how to "select" one and have it appear, rather than scrolling down the list of GCxxxx's. We are using a Garmin Map 60CS. Thank you in advance for any reply.

Jimnade

When you have the list of waypoints displayed, press the Menu button. You can then select from various ways of finding waypoints (by nearest, by icon, by name, etc).

Jimnade

When you have the list of waypoints displayed, press the Menu button. You can then select from various ways of finding waypoints (by nearest, by icon, by name, etc).

Prime-Thanks for the quick response.

Okay...I have GPS in hand. With all of my geocache waypoints listed, I press "Menu". Then, I press "Find by Name". Now, I select "H" (to display all the cache names on my GPS that begin with "H"...I press "enter" and my list now is displaying the caches that begin with "Q" and then "R". While entering these letters, just now, I went back and started with "A". It seems; "A", "B", and "C" will display all caches beginning with those letters. However, once I enter "D" and letters beyond it jumps ahead many letters. As I stated, if I enter "H" it will display the "Q" and "R" grouping.

Any ideas? Maybe it is a software problem? It wasn't until I replied to your response that I realized at least A, B, and C were taking me to their caches.

Again, I appreciate any input.

Rookie, Jim

Jimnade

Okay...I have GPS in hand. With all of my geocache waypoints listed, I press "Menu". Then, I press "Find by Name". Now, I select "H" (to display all the cache names on my GPS that begin with "H"...I press "enter" and my list now is displaying the caches that begin with "Q" and then "R". While entering these letters, just now, I went back and started with "A". It seems; "A", "B", and "C" will display all caches beginning with those letters. However, once I enter "D" and letters beyond it jumps ahead many letters. As I stated, if I enter "H" it will display the "Q" and "R" grouping.

Any ideas? Maybe it is a software problem? It wasn't until I replied to your response that I realized at least A, B, and C were taking me to their caches.

Rookie, Jim

You probably don't have any waypoints that start with that letter.

Jimnade

Rookie, Jim

You probably don't have any waypoints that start with that letter.

I do...a bit ago I thought the same. So...I checked, and rechecked to make sure. Thank you for the input. I will keep prodding forward, maybe something will spark a thought. Who knows? Jim

The search isn't alphabetical. It is global. When you hit H, it should show all caches that contain an H, not just those that start with H. As you spell out more of the cache name, the list should narrow.

No, not necessarily. There are two alpha searchs - by name, which is global and starts with the first letter in the name, and "nearest containing", which looks for a specific letter combination anywhere in the name, but only in the nearest waypoints.