getting my .mp and .img files into Mapsource

I spent the last few days searching for maps, and found a free map I want to put in MapSource to upload to my (incoming) Legend Hcx. The files are here http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.ph...=Ohio&cat=4

I unzipped the files I think I need, which come as 08036996.mp (150,809 KB) and 00001295.img (3,440 KB). Seems easy, right?

I loaded MapSource and it opens no problem. I want to view these downloads, but I don't see .mp and/or .img listed as supported formats for files I'd be able to open. There is no "import" function. The help feature is not helpful. I've googled it to death to no avail. I assume I am missing something very basic, but I can't figure out what it is.

I'm pretty good with GIS products (ArcInfo, and MIPS), so I know my way around GPS issues. It's embarrasing to not be able to figure this out quickly. Help!

IMG files are supposed to go on your GPS.

When you buy an SD card with maps on them that's for your GPS only, not your computer.

Those free maps for your GPS should somehow also come with something you can use on your computer, but doing so might permit future copyright violations if other people could figure out how to do that.

Don't know what an mp file is so can's answer that.

One of those maps you point to is mine. I also have some more OH maps at mapcenter including a state trail map. You can go to http://webpages.charter.net/jbensman/Maps.htm that has the files and instrucitons to load and use them. But do not follow the insturction to use the newest version of Mapsource. Use 6.13.7 I have not figured out what I have to do to make them work in the new version of Mapsource yet.

One of those maps you point to is mine. I also have some more OH maps at mapcenter including a state trail map. You can go to http://webpages.charter.net/jbensman/Maps.htm that has the files and instrucitons to load and use them. But do not follow the insturction to use the newest version of Mapsource. Use 6.13.7 I have not figured out what I have to do to make them work in the new version of Mapsource yet.

Ack, too late. Time to uninstall Mapsource and try again I guess. Thanks.

I have some pretty neat georeferenced (by me) datalayers for Zaleski State Forest that I am trying to turn into Mapsource viewable layers next. One thing at a time though...

Do as Red90 says...use MapSetToolKit along with cGPSMapper. I made a video that plays in Windows Media Player showing how to use MapSetToolKit to install the 00001295.img file you are working with. BTW it works in the latest version of Mapsource.

Install img into Mapsource Video

Awesome video. Unfortunately, after installing the cGPS mapper application my Mapsource software no longer works. It gives a message that "mytopos" file is incorrect and to reload the Mapsource software. I reloaded, and it's an endless loop of a messed up "mytopos" file. I deleted everything and I'll try again in a few days when I have more time...

Reloading Mapsource won't fix the problem.

I "assume" you have installed version 6.14.1 This does not like some home made maps. Your best bet is to put the older version 6.13.7 back on, http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/msourc...Source_6137.exe

To fix the problem now, you need to delete the "mytopos" registry entry from the registry. Mapsettoolkit can do this for you.

I installed 6.13.7 and got the exact same error message. "There is a problem with the Product My Topos installation. Please reinstall Product My Topos and start MapSource again."

So it's not the version (in this case)...

use mapsettoolkit to uninstall the mapset mytopos

click on the mapset and select uninstall. Then restart mapsource

You rock Myotis. Worked like a charm!

Now I've learned that the maps you (myotis) made do not cover Zaleski State Forest, my area of interest. Now it's time to learn to make my own I guess.

I have the trail maps, a park boundary vector file I made myself in MIPS, high resolution aerial photos cropped to the area, high resolution scans of the USGS topos etc etc. I have two weeks...

Edited by Patapsco Mike