What GPSr would you buy with your bonus check?

themann00

So I'm getting a decent bonus check- and want to upgrade from my eTrex Venture. Great GPSr by the way.

I am looking at possibly either the Colorado 400t, or Oregon 400t. I've read reviews- seen some videos. Both look like they are great units. I was looking to see what some "real" people had to say though. Perhaps anyone that has used both for more than a day? How well does the Oregon stand up to the rough world, and how well does it transition to my car for every-day nav? Why would you get a Colorado over an Oregon? Is there a GPSr I am leaving out, and should seriously consider? Leave price out of this argument, unless the price saved for one GPSr will get me something else Geocaching related that I absolutely must have. If I don't spend it for geocaching, I will probably use what is left over for an iPod or something. My bonus will just barely cover the cost of an Oregon.

So I'm getting a decent bonus check- and want to upgrade from my eTrex Venture. Great GPSr by the way.

I am looking at possibly either the Colorado 400t, or Oregon 400t. I've read reviews- seen some videos. Both look like they are great units. I was looking to see what some "real" people had to say though. Perhaps anyone that has used both for more than a day? How well does the Oregon stand up to the rough world, and how well does it transition to my car for every-day nav? Why would you get a Colorado over an Oregon? Is there a GPSr I am leaving out, and should seriously consider? Leave price out of this argument, unless the price saved for one GPSr will get me something else Geocaching related that I absolutely must have. If I don't spend it for geocaching, I will probably use what is left over for an iPod or something. My bonus will just barely cover the cost of an Oregon.

DeLorme Earthmate PN-40. About the same price point as an Oregon 400t, smaller screen, but if you get the $30/yr All-You-Can-Eat imagery subcription, it becomes basically a handheld Google Earth. But even without the imagery, it comes with full topo and street-level maps from the factory, and can do auto-routing right out of the box, but with high-res arial imagery on top of the map, it's just way cooler! I'm trying to sell my PN-20 and buy a PN-40 right now, actually.

I've had both the Colorado 400t and the Oregon 400t and I will admit I thought the idea of a touchscreen was ridiculous at first. The Oregon is build very well and the touchscreen is *so* much better than that rock-n-roller wheel. It easier and faster to navigate through menus. I use my Oregon in my vehicle with City Nav maps all the time and its great! Between the two, I'd recommend the Oregon.

DeLorme Earthmate PN-40. About the same price point as an Oregon 400t, smaller screen, but if you get the $30/yr All-You-Can-Eat imagery subcription, it becomes basically a handheld Google Earth. But even without the imagery, it comes with full topo and street-level maps from the factory, and can do auto-routing right out of the box, but with high-res arial imagery on top of the map, it's just way cooler! I'm trying to sell my PN-20 and buy a PN-40 right now, actually.

Just to clarify: The Earthmate PN-40 is selling for $399.95 (+$29.95 for MapLibrary, if desired) and the Oregon 400t retails for $599.95 on REI.com right now. I would chance to say that a difference of $200 definitely puts these devices in different price points. ($200 will be enough to get you an iPod too, mann... :D )

-Brian

60CS or CSx with Topo NT 2008 or 2009 if availavle. If you want to use the 60 CSx to auto-navigate to the cache via roads, you need Garnim City Navigator North America NT. I generally use a Garmin 2610 to navigate to the cache via raods then use the 60CSx for off road to the cache. BUT, I recently toured parts of Arizona and New Mexico on a motorcycle and used the 60CSx for Nav and Topo/Caches. It really worked very well and I will be using it in the upcoming weeks in the UK and France so if you want one device that is mature and can do it all, reliably, I'd recommend the Garmin 60CS or CSx.

I might suggest just to be fair, that you try the 60CSx and PN-40 and even the Oregon before you decide on one or the other. The PN-20, although having a lot of potential, is really not proven and is extremely slow, I have had one since day one and 100 caches + with it. To me, the PN-40 ads indicate what the PN-20 should have been rather than let all of us PN-20 ownes do the field testing for DeLorme. That said, Garmin is doing the same thing with the Colorado and Oregon. Again, I would try all three or at least the 60CSx and PN-40 (not released for shipment yet) or the Oregon and the PN-40, before making you final decision.

Just to clarify: The Earthmate PN-40 is selling for $399.95 (+$29.95 for MapLibrary, if desired) and the Oregon 400t retails for $599.95 on REI.com right now.

-Brian

Perhaps he was referring to the PN-40 Special Edition bundle that has 8GB of internal memory? It's $540 from DeLorme's website exclusively.

I wouldn't pay it since you could get a 32GB SD card for less, but some folks will.

a big advantage to the Garmins is the ability to download the GPX files directly from the cache page into your GPSr without going through the TOPO map software. (This from a DeLorme owner!) :o;) Now if only DeLorme would let me trade up for a PN-40! I want that compass and altimeter!

Edited by KJcachers