Should I g paperless?

swfirefly

Should you go paperless? YES!! Especially if you already have a PDA available to try it on.

Load Cachemate to the PDA for a free trial & download some pocket queries into it. It WILL make life easier, but initially there is a bit of learning curve so that might not be apparent ;)

Give it a try & let us know if you have any Q's

Gee. only if you want to get into the world of geocaching...You must know if you are serious about playing this game....If you are and want to get the most fun for your buck$....1st. Premium Membership, GSAK for you PC ( Geo Swiss Army Knife), Cachemate for you PDA and for the most part you are ready to go Caching...As with any top notch Game/Sport there is a learning curve....I found that I enjoyed the "learning Curve" just about as much as using GSAK, Cachemate, etc....If you think you are new to this game and would like more questions answered...check out my "profile page" There maybe some thing there that may be of help. I repeat maybe... Good Luck

I once used a Palm and Cachemate and YES, it makes caching *so* much easier!

but now that I have an Oregon 400t, its _EVEN_ easier! I upload one (or two) pocket queries and I'm done. always have 500-100 caches ready to go in one device with full descriptions, logs and hints! I couldn't ever imagine going back to the 'old way' of caching!

I once used a Palm and Cachemate and YES, it makes caching *so* much easier!

but now that I have an Oregon 400t, its _EVEN_ easier! I upload one (or two) pocket queries and I'm done. always have 500-100 caches ready to go in one device with full descriptions, logs and hints! I couldn't ever imagine going back to the 'old way' of caching!

Go for it!

I use a Zire 72, and it is wonderful. What model do you have?

I also have a Zire 72. I haven't seen in since I moved in February, but I know its here somewhere.

The Zire72 is great! It can hold thousands of geocache pages, and it sorts through them very quickly due to the fast microprocessor. Load Cachemate and you're all set. I sometimes use the built in voice recorder to make voice memos in the field. I've also found the built in camera adequate for web postings. It also substitutes as an Ipod, and it can hold hours of music or podcasts on 1G SD cards.

I also copy GOOGLEMAP screenshots to it as a backup to the paper pages I take along. Paper??? Yes, I still find it very helpful to have a printout of the GOOGLEMAP page showing all the caches in an area. It is a lot easier to look at an overall map of the area showing all geocaches than trying to zoom out on the little GPSr screen. And if you zoom in twice on the Z72, it has all the detail of the printed copy.

Here is an example of South-east Mackinac Island. (I saved the image with the GSAK screen copy command)

1027200831320.png

Go for it!

I use a Zire 72, and it is wonderful. What model do you have?

I also have a Zire 72. I haven't seen in since I moved in February, but I know its here somewhere.

The Zire72 is great! It can hold thousands of geocache pages, and it sorts through them very quickly due to the fast microprocessor. Load Cachemate and you're all set. I sometimes use the built in voice recorder to make voice memos in the field. I've also found the built in camera adequate for web postings. It also substitutes as an Ipod, and it can hold hours of music or podcasts on 1G SD cards.

I also copy GOOGLEMAP screenshots to it as a backup to the paper pages I take along. Paper??? Yes, I still find it very helpful to have a printout of the GOOGLEMAP page showing all the caches in an area. It is a lot easier to look at an overall map of the area showing all geocaches than trying to zoom out on the little GPSr screen. And if you zoom in twice on the Z72, it has all the detail of the printed copy.

Here is an example of South-east Mackinac Island. (I saved the image with the GSAK screen copy command)

So you can actually see that map of Mackinac on your Palm? That's pretty cool. I'm amazed at how many are on the island too. I've heard there were lots but seeing all the smilies there puts it into perspective.

So you can actually see that map of Mackinac on your Palm? That's pretty cool. I'm amazed at how many are on the island too. I've heard there were lots but seeing all the smilies there puts it into perspective.

Yes, but as I mentioned, you have to zoom it twice. Then, everything will appear with the same size and resolution as the original but you'll have to scroll the screen around to see everything.

To see the entire map of the island at this resolution would take several screenshots. My example shows the southeast section. You could also take a screenshot of the ENTIRE ISLAND but it would be too small and crowded to be of much help.

1027200850515.png

Edited by michigansnorkelers

Absolutely it is worth it to go paperless if you have the ability to do so. I bought an inexpensive Palm Zire22 after a few months of caching. Loaded it with Cachemate and away I went. It makes things so much easier! This spring, I went on a photography trip to Utah and did a bunch of caching along the way. I was easily able to load 500 cache pages before I left and had access to them throughout the trip. I can't imagine having had to print out all of those possible caches. By all means, put that old PDA to good use - go paperless.

PS: I also print out a screen capture of google maps for an area I am planning to visit. One or two maps are my only concessions to not going "totally" paperless.

I guess I am afraid that I will have trouble with getting GSAK and Cachemate to work. :)

I found the d Palm Zire 72 and downloaded cachemate onto it. I also got GSAK working and got a few PQs. The only problem is that I cannot get the PQs to upload onto my Palm. :) Any hints from anyone? I may have to check out Wildthing's profile afterall.