Best way to get info onto GPS unit

msuman

I just got into it as well. I had a pretty high-end TomTom and iPhone which were worthless for the task at hand. I bought a Garmin etrex venture hc as a entry level unit, and it's made it so much easier. I use the iPhone geocaching app so I can do the geocaching paperless. Overall, it's been pretty easy with those two things.

If all you want to do is get the coordinates on the gps, "Send to Garmin" will do the trick.

If you also want all the cache page info, including the last few logs, then you will need some way to get it into a PDA or some other sotrage device (iPod, the gps as a POI, etc). For that, you will need some sort of program that can decode the PQ you can get as a premium member.

If you want to be able to sort the caches in a database, filter out ones you don't care to hunt that day, mark others with the solved coords for puzzles, etc, you will need GSAK. It is a powerful tool for customizing your cache information.

If you have GSAK, you can use it to send the information to your gps and a PDA.

I use the gps, a PDA, GSAK and Cachemate and it lets me get together all the cache info I need for hundreds or caches and be on my way out the door in minutes.

I think I will try out using my Ipod, if I dont really like that I will upgrade to using a PDA.

If you do get a PDA, you don't really need to get an expensive or elaborate one. I use an old Palm IIIxe and my husband uses as Zire 31. They work just fine for caching and are inexpensive enough to replace without tears if we dash them on the ground while caching.

I think I will try out using my Ipod, if I dont really like that I will upgrade to using a PDA.

I tried loading info into my iPod for the first time yesterday, I like it a lot better than all the writing I was doing. Now I just have to go load all the other caches I plan to do...

Did you use Cache Magnet? I tried to download and install it last night but I was having trouble getting it to install.

I tried loading info into my iPod for the first time yesterday, I like it a lot better than all the writing I was doing. Now I just have to go load all the other caches I plan to do...

Did you use Cache Magnet? I tried to download and install it last night but I was having trouble getting it to install.

Yes I did. I didn't have any problems running or installing it...

One warning, when you load new cache files to the iPod, it deletes the old. Make sure you still have the Gpx files you want. I had to download them over again so i could restore them...