Blackberry, Geocaching and GSAK

GSAK doesn't run on any PDA that I'm aware of. It runs on your computer.

You can get CacheBerry to use on your BlackBerry.

Thanks. I'll check it out. BTW I've been using GSAK on my Palm Tungsten T3 for several years,works great, I use it as an app resident on my computer but I load the info on my T# for use in the field and it works great.

I use Geocache Navigator on my BlackBerry. Love it. I still use a regular GPS most of of the time, but it works great when I don't have the GPS or find myself somewhere where I haven't loaded any caches.

The cool thing is that it connects directly to GC.com to download the latest cache info. When you view a cache, you're viewing it live from the GC site and don't need to deal with downloading GPX files and sending them to the BlackBerry. At work and have to drive 150 miles unexpectedly? No biggie, just fire up the BB, and it'll look for caches nearby.

The downside is that it needs acces to your cell carriers data system, and it uses a lot of bandwidth, so you need some kind of data plan, which costs extra. Plus, if you go outside your service area, you lose the ability to download and view any caches. This is possible if you cache in remote areas.

When you find a cache, you "mark as found" and then when at home, log into GC.com, and it shows you a list of all the caches you found, in order, for the day. You then go to the cache, it marks it found with the correct date and all you do is enter your log. Fast & easy.

Coords are very accurate (as good as my 60CSx) most of the time. It's just a little bit slower to update. When you start to walk, it may not realize it for a second before it changes the distance to the cache.

http://www.geocachenavigator.com/

Edited by Skippermark

Geocache Navigator is also NOT supported by Verizon Wireless much to my dismay! I will end up trying Cacheberry when I get the Blackberry as I can't really change my service.....yet.

Very true, and I believe that the GPS is locked and unusable on Verizon Wireless phones unless you've subscribed to their navigation program.

One thing to consider: Do you want to have your primary business tool out with you caching? I have an I-phone, but still use my old Palm Pilot with CacheMate for caching, so that the phone can stay in the truck more often than not.

This is a good point. I use my BB as a backup when I don't have a regular GPS with me, but I wouldn't want to use it as my main caching device. I don't know how well it would hold up being dropped, banged, getting wet and all the other things that can happen while caching.

Geocache Navigator is also NOT supported by Verizon Wireless much to my dismay! I will end up trying Cacheberry when I get the Blackberry as I can't really change my service.....yet.

This is true - however there is a work around! I have Verizon and I got something called a Freedom 2000 (also known as a GPS puck). It's a bluetooth GPS receiver that works with the Blackberry and GC Navigator and I didn't have to purchase Verizon's GPS access. There are a few glitches but it works pretty well for the most part and it is comparable to my Etrex Vista HCsx. I have been using them both in the field and I find that one compliments the other in helping me to zero in on a cache. It's also great having access to cache info that I might not have brought along with me or as a backup when I don't have my GPS. The GPS puck fits on my key chain which I always have with me and I always have the BB too.

This is true - however there is a work around! I have Verizon and I got something called a Freedom 2000 (also known as a GPS puck). It's a bluetooth GPS receiver that works with the Blackberry and GC Navigator and I didn't have to purchase Verizon's GPS access. There are a few glitches but it works pretty well for the most part and it is comparable to my Etrex Vista HCsx. I have been using them both in the field and I find that one compliments the other in helping me to zero in on a cache. It's also great having access to cache info that I might not have brought along with me or as a backup when I don't have my GPS. The GPS puck fits on my key chain which I always have with me and I always have the BB too.

cool work around. Which Blackberry are you using? If I don't need the top of the line then the money I save can pay for the puck. Also, what did you mean by having to purchase Verizon's GPS access? Are you talking VZ Navigator (which actually uses cell towers for triangulating your position) or can you pay them to turn on the GPS function in your Blackberry?

Edited by KJcachers

cool work around. Which Blackberry are you using? If I don't need the top of the line then the money I save can pay for the puck. Also, what did you mean by having to purchase Verizon's GPS access? Are you talking VZ Navigator (which actually uses cell towers for triangulating your position) or can you pay them to turn on the GPS function in your Blackberry?

I don't have Verizon, so I can't say this with 100% certainty, but I believe VZ Navigator will use a GPS if the phone has one built in and is not limited to just tower triangulation. I do have a BB Pearl 8130, but it's with Sprint. My GPS is not locked and I didn't have to pay the ransom to be able to use it.

Like another poster here, I use CacheBerry. This means that I have to go through the work of getting the GPX files on to my phone (if you have OS 4.5 you can email them unzipped to the phone and save them to the SD card). You can also refresh your information about a specific cache by going to the cache's web page and selecting the button to "Download GPX". It will then load directly into CacheBerry and you'll have the latest/greatest information about that cache. When you find a cache, there's a memo section you can go to and flag it as found and also add any additional information. Currently, there's no way in the app to put in that memo field that you didn't find the cache, but I typically just flag it as found and then type "DNF" into the memo field. There's an email feature that will send you an email with all the caches you've marked as found along with a link to that cache's page and whatever you put in the memo field. I typically send myself that email at the end of the day then just click on all the links and log my find.

I considered getting Geocache Navigator, but didn't really like the subscription on top of my geocaching.com subscription. If I need to, I can connect with my laptop to the Internet using the BB as a modem and run a PQ if I'm in an unexpected area. CacheBerry is not free software (unfortunately) and to get the most out of it it's also helpful to have GSAK (also unfortunately not free), but it's not really required. Both of those programs have a free trial (which IIRC Geocache Navigator didn't) so during the trial I got accustomed to doing things with those programs. I still haven't gotten around to purchasing GSAK, but those nag screens are getting quite annoying!!!

I too do not use Verizon, but I think that the GPS is "locked" and won't work with other applications until you sign up for their VZ Navigator. Then either the program or Verizon unlocks the GPS, letting it work.

I use AT&T and my GPS is unlocked and works with any program that needs access to the GPS.

Edit to add that I love Geocache Navigator but think the subscription (I pay yearly) is a little steep, especially in light of the iPhone app that sells for under $10.00, and I think includes free upgrades.

Edited by Skippermark

There is a group of us working on a new GPS app for the blackberry, call BlackStar. We don't have our own website or anything yet, so there is no OTA install. You would need to install using desktop manager. You can get the zip file here: BlackStar_!_3_2

Features included

- compass

- bearing arrow

- speed

- distance to waypoint

- GPX and LOC import. Limit 20 per import. more causes performance problems.

- no data charges, means it is still usable if no cell reception.

- FREE

- Work in progress. New features coming

Feel free to check it out.