Caches up for adoption

Africard

It is with great exitement and a huge dose of sadness too that we announce that we will be leaving Newcastle for greener pastures.

As I have not been able to attend to my caches properly and even less time to seek out the numerous new ones in my area, and will not be able to do so in the near future, I have decided to put my remaining caches up for adoption - any (local) cachers willing to take the responsibility, please contact me...

I also have a brand new (opened but never used) Garmin Garmap 60CSX for sale - it requires a copy of Garmap as I bought it in the USA - serious offers will be considered.

I had a look at your caches. I found 3 of the 4 that is still alive. The only one I still need to find is the one on top of Amajuba.

Ok, this is not funny. If I adopt the caches will it be displayed as owner caches with finds on them, I would not like to see own cache finds. Most cachers will not be able to understand this one.

If all agree then I will adopt the following. I am close by and can get to them quickly.

NebrascaheZA,

Amajuba Plateau,

Baboon rock,

Hildrop view.

No Wazat, you can not have it all. You have plenty on your plate.

I hope all is well. Are you leaving as in leaving for a different place in South Africa or are you going away outside this country? I am starting to feel very lonely with everybody leaving.

Gerhard

If I adopt the caches will it be displayed as owner caches with finds on them, I would not like to see own cache finds. Most cachers will not be able to understand this one.

Gerhard

You do not need to worry about that. When you adopt a cache it will show on your own profile as being one of your caches and you will receive mails from all logs to the caches just the same as you do from your own caches right now. On the cache page the cache will continue to show the previous owner, Africard, as being the owner unless you, as the new owner, edits the listing to say otherwise.

I adopted 2 caches from a cacher who left the country here and all I did was add in brackets next to the original owner's name "(adopted by cincol)". At least this way the next cachers know that I am the new owner of the adopted caches.

In your case, you have already found the caches ligitimately and have now been honourable in adopting orphaned caches. Not a problem at all and it certainly does not mean that you are logging your "own" caches at all.

Congratulations on your new caches! ;)

cincol

Cincol,

Thanks for clearing this issue. The cache owner must now decide what he wants to do. One question that remains in my mind is – Is it not better to archive the cache and then to replace it with a new one at the same spot. At least it is a clean start and it does offer a FTF for those that want to hunt them? To me it is easier then to adopt the cache. Just an innocent question.

Thanks for your well wishes on the new ones. We are trying but “WOW” locations are really scares in this area. At least some guys are now active in Piet Retief again. Yes, they are robbing me of the FTF’s at a constant pace, but it keeps the competition level high and interesting. I am still planning to hunt them then someone is logging a find. From now on I will do the hits in the middle of the night. :santa::)

Gerhard

Haa haaa .... Great stuff Gerhard, you are welcome to them. Now get out and fix the leaking one at Baboon rock... It did well for a while when i replaced the original container with a 2 l Icecream container.... This was my first find and I even did maintenance on it... right away LOL.

I can actually see Hilldrop from where I stay right now and the cache location is visible if I walk a little down the road. So if any this would be OK for me to adopt.

But the big one I am looking at is the archived one at Moorfield... which at the moment is not accessible as the new owners of the farm are not allowing the public on the property anymore.... I am in negotiations with someone from a farm in the area to arrange that we can retrieve the cache but it is not boding too well... The question is can I claim a find on an archived cache that may still be there... or Alf have you already retrieved it.

As regards the FTF's in the MP region.... I see them come and thing here we go, then bam I loose out.... I feel your pain Gerhard... lol.

:D

If I can give my 2 cents worth:

I personally feel that if the caches are properly placed, then they should stand the test of time, irrespective if the person moves on or for that matter even leaves the game.

What would be the point if every time a cacher leaves the area, there would be the need to get the caches adopted.

It also causes the situation that when adopting a cache you add to your responsiblities without increasing the pool of caches in the area.

A cacher could also always help maintain any cache. My suggestion would be for the owner to keep them and one day if they do go missing or need repair, let someone help out or maybe its time for them to be archived.

Ah yes, they were American cents.

:laughing:

I agree... but this is just a way of passing ownership to someone who is active. Most times people get to a cache and may not have a spare one handy to maintain it. So they contact the owner who is not all that active anymore and what happens... they think "OK I must have a look at it but whenever I get a chance". We all know that this chance seldom comes along.

Oh by the way Noddy I think you need to do maintenance at Llandaff Oratory. The new log sheet that Rhino had put in was soaking wet. I have replaced this with a new one but it would seem that the container needs a better seal.

So if you happen to get up the mountain.... lol. Tusk02 and I chatted to Geraldine at the Oratory Tea Garden and she had completely forgotten about the cache when the item was moved so check on the updated co-ords that Rhino gave as it is gonna be it's new position now.

I personally think that a cache must have an owner or someone that looks after it. We all know that baboons are active, veldt fires will happen, a cache can be muggled, it can get wet, etc. Someone must be able to correct these problems.

It is really not fun to visit a cache, find a problem with it, keep it on your watch list and then noticed that the owner is gone. The next step will come when the “FishEagle” finds it and he swoop down it – cache container is still there but no active listing. :rolleyes:

Just recently I visited a cache in the western province to discover later that the cache is archived. I arrived at the spot and discover pieces of the cache all over the place. Some wild animal got to it. It took me a while to collect all the pieces and garbage. Later at home I discovered that the owner stopped geocaching about two years ago and left it on its own.

Ok, Wazat I will visit Newcastle next weekend and I fix the one at Baboon rock. Is the tonteldoos cache on Amajuba still ok? When was your last maintenance check? :)

Gerhard

Many moons ago when Geocaching was still in it's infancy, we placed caches far and wide, not really considering things like maintenance. I would like to give some of my caches up for adoption, as they are really out of my way. If there are no takers, I will archive them rather, and let other cachers in the area place new ones.

Danie Theron Memorial is one of them, and my series at Botshabelo.

PM me if anyone is interested.

Thanks.