All take and no give

paul?

This is my first post – and I can tell you I am not impressed – Why is it that some people play the game by taking a geocoin or TB and drop off the same, and then others jest take and leave nothing.

I only have one cache, I started it off with a coin, it got swapped for a TB then the TB was taken with no equivalent dropped off. It looks to me like people are only interested in you cache if it contains either a coin or TB

Not impressed

Paul

Edited by paul?

This is my first post – and I can tell you I am not impressed – Why is it that some people play the game by taking a geocoin or TB and drop off the same, and then others jest take and leave nothing.

I only have one cache, I started it off with a coin, it got swapped for a TB then the TB was taken with no equivalent dropped off. It looks to me like people are only interested in you cache if it contains either a coin or TB

Not impressed

Paul

When you have been caching abit longer you will release that TB's and GC's DON'T need to be swapped for another TB or GC. They are not trade items and are sent out by their owners to be moved on. Not to sit in caches waiting until people have TB's or GC's to trade! People do not have to have replace TB or GC with another if they take one from your cache

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=94185 check this out for TB/GC rules

Edited by skibumsuk

Not impressed

Paul

When you have been caching abit longer you will release that TB's and GC's DON'T need to be swapped for another TB or GC. They are not trade items and are sent out by their owners to be moved on. Not to sit in caches waiting until people have TB's or GC's to trade! People do not have to have replace TB or GC with another if they take one from your cache

ayep.

Not impressed

Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the game. I have been to 1 meet so far and really enjoyed it so can recomend this to get loads on info about the game.

Dave

Not impressed

Paul

Welcome to the Forum, Paul -

I can understand why someone new to Geocaching might feel this way, but I can only endorse what all the others have said: TBs and geocoins are treated quite differently from other swap items you may have placed in your cache to start it off.

I don't think it's true that "people are only interested in your cache if it contains either a coin or TB". Some people like to collect the icons of the various geocoins that pass through their hands and may visit a cache if it has an unusual geocoin that they haven't seen before but I suspect that all your local cachers will visit your cache in due course (whether it contains a trackable or not) because they'll be happy enough just to get the extra smiley face ;)

MrsB

Not impressed

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm going to make you a promise. You are going feel differently about -a lot- of issues once you gain a little more experience. Let me lay the ground work for the next disappointment in store for you. For the most part, people do not "trade up" when it comes to what they will leave in a cache. I find that it is best to expect this and plan on replenishing the swag in the caches I hide.

Overall, it is my experience is that if you hide good caches, folks will leave better stuff. This and of course the logs are a pretty good barometer of how much enjoyment your caches provide.

Geocaching is a game based in honor. How people act when they are all alone and in a position of giving is one of the many life lessons available in this game. I can say that I have been both very pleasantly surprised and sorely disappointed on a pretty regular basis.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Not impressed

Paul

Welcome Paul.

There are a lot more nasty surprises around that this. I must echo what the others have said. We don't bother 'trading' geoswag very often as it is mainly 'McTrash' anyway, just there to keep family groups interested. But we will usually always take Travellers (TB or Coin), just to keep them moving.

Just wait until you have your coins get stolen by unscrupulous collectors (as opposed to scrupulous ones?) who steal nice looking coins from caches and you never see them again.

;)

Your theory about people only being interested in caches with travellers is undermined by the abundance of Nano/Micro caches. No room for travellers there yet they are still sought out by cachers.

Edited by careygang

Welcome to the forum, Paul.

As others have said, TBs and geocoins are not trade items but trackables who'se goal is to move from cache to cache.

Don't let all the scary tales of cachers not "trading up" put you off this wonderful hobby, you'll get to have some great adventures, discover places you never knew existed, and meet some great people.

I like moving geocoins and TBs and collecting the icons, but for me the "swag" in caches has very little interest, I enjoy hunting the caches and getting out into the great outdoors. ;)

Cache events are a great way of meeting local cachers and getting answers to any questions you may have.

Welcome to the forum, Paul.

As others have said, TBs and geocoins are not trade items but trackables who'se goal is to move from cache to cache.

Don't let all the scary tales of cachers not "trading up" put you off this wonderful hobby, you'll get to have some great adventures, discover places you never knew existed, and meet some great people.

I like moving geocoins and TBs and collecting the icons, but for me the "swag" in caches has very little interest, I enjoy hunting the caches and getting out into the great outdoors. :)

Cache events are a great way of meeting local cachers and getting answers to any questions you may have.

Thank-you for this comment, I really should have put a caveat in there when I issued the "trading up" warning although it was on topic.

Paul..What should have proceeded that warning is that Geocaching is a GREAT activity and there's many things besides the swag you find; secret places, amazing funny stories of the hunt, great community events, ingenious cache hunts, a network of like minded individuals all over the world and so on..

However, I think to enjoy all this in the beginning, you have to enter into it with realistic expectations. Geocaching will never be about the stuff you find in a cache. If you place too much importance on some of the trading habits of other cachers, same thing.

Edited by Team GeoBlast