Please sent this to garmin

splashy

I'm a garmin gps user from the beginning, that means I was a long time happy customer.

And I really wonder , what the hell are you doing today.

You make nice gps'es, but many of the last years models suffer big and minor bugs, this I can understand, because the complexity and use is so big you can't foresee all the problems.

What I don't understand, is why the followup models have most op the old (resolved) problems again plus new problems.

Even worse is your so called 'helpdesk', basically all they do is replying after about a week or 2 with a computer generated answer, saying they received the message, they will look after it and if we have other questions we are free to ask, I NEVER saw in all the gps groups and fora worldwide somebody who had a right answer on their question.

I cannot understand if there are hundereds of issues with colorado, oregon, zumo, nuvi, why don't you solve them and stop the release of new models for couple of month.

Not to mention your so called mappudate to 2009, this involves a complete change of your computer because the needed new mapsource 6.14 needs a fast computer and is overwriting the old mapsource, putting in trouble the major part of the users, because for many of them there's no way back, because you have to be in computers to know how to restore the old situation.

As yo know your automakers are almost dead because of arrogance and not willing to change I think it's 1 to 12 for you, because there must be a company in the world who want's to listen to their clients and happy to have them.

Not to mention your so called mappudate to 2009, this involves a complete change of your computer because the needed new mapsource 6.14 needs a fast computer and is overwriting the old mapsource, putting in trouble the major part of the users, because for many of them there's no way back, because you have to be in computers to know how to restore the old situation.

Well, I do not know about the other comments as my Garmin is working wonders.

But the new mapsource is a creep indeed.

It is slower, but a bit more beautiful visually.

But it will not use my OpenStreetMap of the Netherlands, not even after a restore of the OSM map..

So I installed the old version again, you need to do that twice to make it work (no idea why).

It is always worthwile to keep the old download if a new version is giving issues.

No need to be a computer geek to do this though.

;)

Ahem . . . speaks for itself.

For the 'normal' user the Oregon is a fantastic Gps basicly everything works fine, the touchscreen is veryyyy easy to use compared to buttons and as good as the 60 series might be, it's a end of life generation, buy a new(er) generation Garmin Gps.

...there must be a company in the world who want's to listen to their clients and happy to have them.

There is a company like that, it's name is DeLorme. They have a presence on these boards (Team DeLorme), and they will respond to posts and answer questions, and they also have their own forum on their website, and those are two things that garmin doesn't seem to have at all. And DeLorme seems to take people feedback to heart, as the main complaints people had about the PN-20 seem to have all been resolved with the upcoming PN-40. In fact, I'm selling my PN-20 so I can buy a PN-40, although I am going to hang on to the Garmin Legend HCx I have, it's a good little unit. But for the money I'm spending, I didn't even look to Garmin, too many unresolved issues that they seem to never know anything about.

Don't the forum rules and guidelines require that we treat others (including Garmin) with respect?

I'd think so. Maybe they should just submit their issue to Garmin and see what response they get.

If he submitted the problems he had to me (if I worked for Garmin), I would send him some cheesy form letter too.

See below. I agree.

Ahem . . . speaks for itself.

How can you tell? Splashy is a Troll.

The sentence structure just felt like a European with broken English. Of course I could be wrong. Why do you say he's a troll?

No caches hidden or found. It's a sock puppet lacking the nads to reveal their true profile specifically created to stir the pot. As for the European feel of the OP, "retard" is a teenage American slang. Further, if you look at their previous posts, they have correct grammar and spelling.

Edited by TotemLake

Hey, I really like my garmin units, however I'd like to see someone put up a decent argument if I say that the evidence that I can point to regarding the non implementation of the software built into the Colorado does indeed make Garmin look like utter morons.

What I'm referring to specifically is an 'option' button without obvious options. What's that all about then? Is it stupidity, laziness or perhaps a deliberate attempt to annoy. Who knows.

I can understand the name calling in Garmin's case. It's more a matter of utter frustration and anyway I think we've already lost.

I can't see Garmin putting in the graphic tide station screen on the Colorado that is even on their lower range etrex like the Venture HC, nor can I see them suddenly adding useful options to the options button, like 'stop navigation' on the map page. I also cannot see them implementing other useful features that have been standard on their cheaper gpsr's like the unit automatically switching to a close up corner view when on the trip computer page... etc

I don't think Garmin give a dadgum. Name calling won't help, but it couldn't make it worse. All the example outlined above are completely separate from the teething hardware issues and other dodgy software issues.

Edited by gallet

You're given a chunk of Swiss Cheese, a jar of peanut butter, and a toothpick.

Your job is to fill as much of cavities as you can.

Where do you start, where do you finish, and how long will it take? . . . Too long!

You're surrounded by hungry mice, all hankerin' ta gobble it up!

Think they're(mice) gonna notice if ya miss a hole or two? . . . You betcha!

Think they're callin' ya names 'cause yer not workin' fast enough? . . . You betcha!

Garmin's not stupid, they're probably doin' what they can with the tools they have.

It's just that the same storm that blurred the blueprint, rusted the tools too.

I don't think they alloted enough resources for stompin' out the fires they caused

as they overworked their power climbin' the grade. Give 'em some time, Garmin's

Rome isn't burnin' yet! 'Cause they're still stompin' on some of 'em. When they quit

stompin' is when things get outta hand.

But that Nero guy, he's sure playin' fidddle over cross the street at Maggie's house.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Well, I do not know about the other comments as my Garmin is working wonders.

But the new mapsource is a creep indeed.

It is slower, but a bit more beautiful visually.

But it will not use my OpenStreetMap of the Netherlands, not even after a restore of the OSM map..

So I installed the old version again, you need to do that twice to make it work (no idea why).

It is always worthwile to keep the old download if a new version is giving issues.

No need to be a computer geek to do this though.

:D

I don't know which OSM maps you use, but the ones I found here work fine in my mapsource 6.14.1: http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/download.html

Except for one minor issue, being an incorrect registry entry, which I guess Garmin can not be blamed for, I suspect it is an error in the OSM installer. I had to change the name of a 'folder' in the OSM regkeys to 1 in stead of 8. After that it worked just fine :laughing:

A screenshot of what I mean:

garminreg.png

This section can be found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE

When I installed OSM, this subfolder of the OSM folder was called 8, when changed to 1 (as is the case with all other garmin regkey folders) the OSM maps worked fine. Maybe this will work for you as well :ph34r:

Edited by Orion84

Just to add some more fuel to the Garmin fire.

1. They do not listen to us anymore.

2. They do not add any of our suggestion.

3. Firmware of many GPS is in beta and is very buggy. (Colorado and Nüvi)

4. Garmin did remove the possibility to downgrade Nüvi 7xx and other, and they do not tell why

5. MapSource 6.14.x is extremely slow and x-y ratio is wrong. Maps are too wide.

6. All new maps starting with CN Europe 2009 to come in a new format, not IMG, and you cannot select what folder to install. It will install on your C: drive in your private folders.

7. New GPS models comes to quick.

8. Removal of useful features from new nuvis (models vary) such as North pointer, Map Scale display, ability to turn off touch tones, ability to disable Autozoom (nuvi 3xx/6xx), etc, etc only to re-introduce these features in "new" models as "new" features. The new model with the new feature then has one of the older features removed so the cycle can go on and on. Hardware upgrade (a new unit) is the only way to get the "new" features since Garmin never adds new features to current models. To gain something new in a new nuvi always requires you to lose something (a feature, a configurable option, etc) in the process.

Edited by SergZak

I have had six diffeent Garmins over the years and up to and including the 60csx had any little real trouble.

I unfortunately bought a Colorado and all that changed-dramatically.

I will not list the problems I had with the first one and am still having with the second one as they have recieved massive comment elsewhere.

I feel to have been treated like a beta tester without any backup at all.

Being in Britain the tech guys have been brilliant but unfortunately seemed totally unaware of the problems with the Colorado. Just why they are not informed by Garmin is beyond me.

I am really fed up with Garmin and wish there was some decent competiton. No competition no reason to take any notice of the customer.

Hopefully at least in the states competiton does seem to be on the rise.

Perhaps just the stick needed to persuade Garmin to put its house in order?

I will now stick with my trusty 60csx until Garmin gets its act together or another company produces something worthwhile.

I have the feeling that this may well be along time.

At least as far as the United Kingdom is concerned.

Wow, talk about deja vu! Go back in this thread and replace "Garmin" with "Magellan", and you'll see exactly why Magellan's market share collapsed, and why Garmin's will do so likewise, if they don't take notice.

5 years ago, Magellan's customer service couldn't be beat. Firmware updates were frequent, addressed bugs and problems, added useful features, and never "removed" features. Calling Magellan was a pleasant experience, and sending a unit in to have something fixed that couldn't be addressed over the phone always resulted in fast turn around, and a few goodies tossed in for free, like a car cord or carrying case. The general opinion was that Magellan's support and customer service beat Garmin's by a mile.

Then things changed (Magellan's ownership?). Suddenly, Garmin's customer service improved dramatically and Magellan's went into the toilet. Garmin sales rocketed to the top, while Magellan's fell by the wayside.

Fast forward to today and put "Garmin" back into the posts. Anyone else see the parallels? :laughing:

Edited by 4x4van