Coral reef - acceptable as an Eartcache?

Carbon Hunter

Hi - I know coral reefs are actually living organisms - but they end in Calcium rich depostis that could end up as limestones.

Any other ideas on how I could incorporate them into an Earthcache?

I have an area that is devoid of earthcaches - and I thought that this may be a novel cache to get going.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Hi - I know coral reefs are actually living organisms - but they end in Calcium rich depostis that could end up as limestones.

Any other ideas on how I could incorporate them into an Earthcache?

I have an area that is devoid of earthcaches - and I thought that this may be a novel cache to get going.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

I think this would make a phenomenal EarthCache. Because coral reefs are so sensitive to changes, they are a very good proxy for the health of the oceans. They depend on the right balance of water temperature, salinity, nutrients, sunlight, hydraulic energy, water depth, etc. An amazing thing that a reef is capable of is that it is one of the few environments that can keep up and thrive with sea level rise. Conversely, they don't deal well with sea level fall, because once they are exposed, the carbonate factory is shut down. As you state, the accumulation of body fossils of organisms that passed away can result in limestone (and perhaps subsequently dolostone). The organic matter that decomposes from dead plants and animals can be a good source for hydrocarbons. Also, because reefs are a build-up of intertwined skeletal remains, the resulting deposit can have tremendous porosity, which can make it a terrific reservoir rock for oil and gas exploration. The only concern I might have for this type of EarthCache is that the attention attracted by setting up an EarthCache may result in additional damage to such a sensitive environment. Perhaps a requirement could be to only go on guided tours in which visitors can be monitored to ensure they don't do anything that may damage the reef? PM me if you would like me to direct you towards literature on modern or ancient reefs.

To all who replied and PM'd - thanks. With a change in "theme" I got my coral EarthCache approved by Geoaware. See GC1HGB4. Thanks to all - Geoaware included. If all goes well I should have a few more in for approval nextweek when my research is done - "singing" sand dunes and the Inland Sea of Qatar are but 2 that are due next week! :o

Happy EarthCaching everyone.