PQ's down?

VWDave

I received all my regularly scheduled queries today, and haven't seen any other general PQ complaints recently.

If the problem persists, please submit a support ticket to Groundspeak, and/or bump one of the PQ threads over in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum, where one of the developers will see it.

I tried creating one for the first time today and nothing seemed to happen so I assume it's not working for me either. But then I have no idea what I'm doing so I could have done it wrong I guess.

Check your PQ page to see if it ran. While you are there, click on the preview icon and see what the results are.

Edit for spelling

Edited by WeightMan

Well, I found my problem... never agreed to the terms and conditions :santa: Went to PQs tonight, there is the link. Just ran one, took 30 seconds to get...

Turns out I did the same thing. Duh :) But I tried setting it up again and it still didn't work. Off to find some sort of detailed instructions cuz I just ain't gettin it.

So where do you go to agree to the terms and conditions? I don't think I am having the same problem. My PQ's are all there and viewable. I was ablt to run My Finds yesterday just fine but this morning I set a PQ to run and now, 7 hours later it still has not. The last time I ran this particular PQ was 4 days ago so that is not an issue. Is there some other criteria that sets when a PQ gets run? Usually it takes less than 5 minutes.

OK Got a problem with PQ's at the moment, everytime I submit a query to run by checking the day of the week that the server says it is, when I submit the query all I get is a message saying the query has been modified, I am sure I used to get a message saying it has been generated, when I go back to my PQ page the tick is still there.

No email comes through at all :)

Am I being dumb or something?

Please help

Regards

Sniffer

Maybe the PQ server is backlogged again? My PQs set to run on Thursday ran on Friday morning and my Friday PQ's are just coming through now (Saturday morning).... these are all PQs that haven't been run for 2-3 days, so it's not like they're being delayed because they are being run every day.

I have one PQ that runs Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat, and it last ran on Wed as of 6:50PM CST Sat. I also have other PQ's that run once a week, a total of 20 of them that run on various days Sun - Fri, and they all ran this past week.

From past observations, I have noticed that PQ's that run more than once a week seem to get lower priority than those which are only run once a week, or only "as needed". My one that runs several times a week gets later in the day almost every day, and when it gets to about 7:00PM is when I seem to see other people start to complain about not getting their PQ's.

New PQ's are running right away for me. It's the scheduled ones that are coming in late.

As an update for me, as of about an hour ago, the last 3 of the 4 than normally run on Sunday morning arrived. These 4 PQ's normally arrive around 7am CST, but today the first arrived a little after 8am, and the last 3 all arrived about 7pm... I have a PQ that runs both Fri & Sat, and I only got one of them and it came in real late on Sat (around midnight CST).

Well, yesterday, I sent an email to GC.com's contact info listing.. and about an hour later (2) of my PQ's had been delivered to my email address.

However... Today, (Sunday 11-9-2008 - about 5pm CST) I ran 5 of my queries.. of those, only (2) have made it.. and the other (3) still show to be in queue for processing (as of 12:12am CST on 11-10-2008)

One trick of getting your PQs to run is not run the same PQ more than once a week. If you need more than once a week then make a copy for that other day. I've got 7 identical PQs, one each runs on one day a week--these are to update a website and highlights the new caches in the state.

One thing I do also is for datasets I want more than once a week is run a full dataset once and then the others run only differentials. You don't really need a full dataset more than once a week if you're keeping an offline database. The full datasets help weed out the archived caches and the differentials help decrease the server load. ...and you're running separate PQs so they will be higher in the queue. I run my full dataset earlier in the week and then the differential later. If I don't get the differential it's not nearly as big of a deal as I've got only 3 day stale data versus 7--or none.

That said, the above is no guarantee. I've got single-day PQs that have been running very late in the day.

CR's advice is good - I also don't run any query more often than once per week, and even then, they are arriving later and later in the day. My last Sunday PQ arrived around 10 pm last night.

So, my other new rule of thumb is to always make sure I have the data I need for a roadtrip no later than two days prior to departure. That allows me time to organize the data, output map files, etc. It also builds in a safety margin in case an essential query does not arrive. In those cases I can make a copy and run it the next day, still before hitting the road.

One trick of getting your PQs to run is not run the same PQ more than once a week. If you need more than once a week then make a copy for that other day. I've got 7 identical PQs, one each runs on one day a week--these are to update a website and highlights the new caches in the state.

One thing I do also is for datasets I want more than once a week is run a full dataset once and then the others run only differentials. You don't really need a full dataset more than once a week if you're keeping an offline database. The full datasets help weed out the archived caches and the differentials help decrease the server load. ...and you're running separate PQs so they will be higher in the queue. I run my full dataset earlier in the week and then the differential later. If I don't get the differential it's not nearly as big of a deal as I've got only 3 day stale data versus 7--or none.

That said, the above is no guarantee. I've got single-day PQs that have been running very late in the day.

Hey CR,

Can you explain your "differential" PQ with respect to what criteria you use?

Currently, I run 9 PQ's based on Date Placed. I am in a cache dense area and it take 9 PQ's to get a reasonable distance from my house.

8 of the PQ's are run twice per week. The 9th PQ, which covers caches placed since October 1, runs daily but as 7 different PQ's per your suggestion above.

I am curious if there is some sort of "differential" I can run to keep the other 8 current and eliminate the need to run twice per week.

I have noticed that my 7 separate daily's are running later and later all the time.

Thanks

T

When I say "differential" I mean "caches updated in the last 7 days." It's not really a true differential as the archived caches aren't included, but it's close enough.

These are pretty much identical to the full PQ except for the date cut-offs. I've found that I really need a number cutoff around 350-400 caches to produce the overhead for busy weekends like holidays weekends. You're still cutting the number of PQs in about half.

When I say "differential" I mean "caches updated in the last 7 days." It's not really a true differential as the archived caches aren't included, but it's close enough.

These are pretty much identical to the full PQ except for the date cut-offs. I've found that I really need a number cutoff around 350-400 caches to produce the overhead for busy weekends like holidays weekends. You're still cutting the number of PQs in about half.

I just ran a test using "updated" and it looks like "posted a note" does not trigger the "updated" flag. In fact it looks like I only got caches "found" in the last 7 days.

Does anyone know what "updated" means as opposed to "found"?

I just ran a test using "updated" and it looks like "posted a note" does not trigger the "updated" flag. In fact it looks like I only got caches "found" in the last 7 days.

Does anyone know what "updated" means as opposed to "found"?

There's a thread about getting the last logs written and not last logs by date. Don't know if that's what's going on. Could be it was silently changed. Don't know. Used to be any change to the cache or any log.

Well, yesterday, I sent an email to GC.com's contact info listing.. and about an hour later (2) of my PQ's had been delivered to my email address.

However... Today, (Sunday 11-9-2008 - about 5pm CST) I ran 5 of my queries.. of those, only (2) have made it.. and the other (3) still show to be in queue for processing (as of 12:12am CST on 11-10-2008)

Today (Tuesday) there is no reaction. I tried to start my PQs (2) but nothing happend. No mail and no info at the website.

I would like to update my OziCE with the actual caches in my region :):)

happy hunting

Udo

I'm still only getting maybe 1 PQ a week. Ran 3:08pm yesterday and still nothing. This has been going on for weeks now.

Is there a known problem or what?

If they are showing has having run but your not getting them this most likely isn't a PQ issue but an email issue.

What email provider are you using?