Surveyors on Vacation

Okiebryan

Check this out. I think you benchmark hunter types might find this very interesting.

Thanks for posting this great story. It would have been great to be involved in that find.

An excerpt from the story:

"
On October 17, 2008, a group of surveyors and other interested people consisting of

Rex Heiden, David Hoffart, Erik Hubl, Kurt Luebke, Jerry Penry and Gene Thomsen

determined to find triangulation station “Ward” and see if a discrepancy actually existed

on the ground.
"

Do you know if any of these people were geocaching.com members?

An excerpt from the story:

"
On October 17, 2008, a group of surveyors and other interested people consisting of

Rex Heiden, David Hoffart, Erik Hubl, Kurt Luebke, Jerry Penry and Gene Thomsen

determined to find triangulation station “Ward” and see if a discrepancy actually existed

on the ground.
"

Do you know if any of these people were geocaching.com members?

Kurt posts here occasionally.

Patty

I left from work on October 16 with Fort Wayne, Indiana being my destination; but I had to make a few stops along the journey. I can't believe that I made the forums before I was able to even log any adventures.

I returned last night and logged 3945 miles on my Ford Expedition(luckily the fuel costs went down), stopped at one new Initial Point in the Black Hills, found 12 state boundary monuments, 2 1880's Missouri River Commission monuments, a few other monuments in 12 different states, one new Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery monument and as you have read I met up with a group in Nebraska for a very fulfilling Missouri River Commission mystery solving.

I had a great trip, saw some fall colors, made new friends and got to see some historical and geographically exciting monuments.

I had to put this trip on hold two other times due to my heavy workload and now I will have to try to find the time to log my visits. I was lucky enough to follow one snow storm in Eastern Montana and miss another in Nebraska. I had great weather and perfect conditions.

Kurt

I can't believe that I made the forums before I was able to even log any adventures.

And not just the forums, Kurt. Over the weekend, I sent the article to Gary Thompson, the head of NCGS. He responded that it is great to find a stone like that!

-Paul-

I can't believe that I made the forums before I was able to even log any adventures.

And not just the forums, Kurt. Over the weekend, I sent the article to Gary Thompson, the head of NCGS. He responded that it is great to find a stone like that!

-Paul-

Thanks Paul,

These kind of recoveries are very exciting.

For any of you who enjoyed reading Jerry's description of this recovery, you might want to consider buying his book: Nebraska's Early Geodetic Survey's

It may be about Nebraska control survey's, but Jerry does an excellent job of writing about the history and techniques of the Missouri River Commission, the USGS and the US Coast and Geodetic Survey organizations. The book is very reasonable and has some really great photos of various types of survey monuments, most of which pertain to all parts of the US.

Kurt