An iPod can do WHAT?

Coyote's Girl

I'm so glad that you asked this! I noticed the same comments over the last 2 days or so and have been wondering the same thing. I have an iPod mini and it would be nice if it would serve another purpose.

Check out CacheMagnet. I used it to send the full cache description pages to my ipod and then was totally paperless.

I've since bought a Colorado, but will still use the pages on cachemagnet loaded ipod when planning a trip or just read through some descriptions while listening to music

You don't even need cache magnet. I have a iPod Classic, I use a macro for GSAK to load all 500 cache pages into the notes section of the ipod as I load the waypoints into my GPS. I am sure the iPod will hold even more because it barely uses 10% of the 180GB harddrive. The cache pages display everything but pictures and I can set how many logs I want to copy over, usually the last five. The iPod indexes them alphabetically, it is very easy to navigate.

The GSAK macro stores the cache details on the iPod as contacts (in the address book). The iPod has a limit on how much text it will display for any given contact. One issue I encountered was that if the description is really long, you can't see the hint. Nevertheless, it's still a pretty good way to do paperless caching. That's particularly useful if you're caching away from home (vacation, business trip, etc).

The GSAK macro stores the cache details on the iPod as contacts (in the address book). The iPod has a limit on how much text it will display for any given contact. One issue I encountered was that if the description is really long, you can't see the hint. Nevertheless, it's still a pretty good way to do paperless caching. That's particularly useful if you're caching away from home (vacation, business trip, etc).

You must be using a different macro than me, it stores my pages in Notes and there is no limit, if the page goes beyond a certain limit it tabs to another note. Very easy and I can store full cache pages, sans pictures.

You must be using a different macro than me, it stores my pages in Notes and there is no limit, if the page goes beyond a certain limit it tabs to another note. Very easy and I can store full cache pages, sans pictures.

I'm not sure - I installed it about a year ago. My iPod is quite old too. I'm not sure of the generation, but it's only got a mono screen.

MacCaching will also export cache listings and logs to the iPods Contacts and Notes, respectively.

My ancient 2G iPod doesn't support Notes, but it's incredibly handy to be able to carry cache listings on a piece of hardware I already own and carry with me virtually everywhere already.

Do you know how to get the logs on the ipod? I am using MacCaching but only get the listings...

Thanks,

I have heard of a few apps for the Ipod Touch, and I have also heard of people modifying their older Ipods to hold cache info. You do realize that an Ipod is just a big expensive portable hard drive, with the apple logo on it, so I don't see why it couldn't hold documents.

There is no modifying required. I used GSAK last night to put cache info on my nano and it worked great.

I'm not sure - I installed it about a year ago. My iPod is quite old too. I'm not sure of the generation, but it's only got a mono screen.

Ah that's the difference old iPods don't have Notes. I have a 160GB Classic with color

I asked this question a while back, after I got my iPod, and here's the answer I got. It's not terribly difficult. I went back to paper, though, because the battery life on the iPod just isn't long enough for daylong caching trips.

Hmmm my battery easily lasts over a three day weekend.

I went back to paper, though, because the battery life on the iPod just isn't long enough for daylong caching trips.

Sounds like it's time for a new battery, unless you're also playing music the entire time.

MacCaching will also export cache listings and logs to the iPods Contacts and Notes, respectively.

My ancient 2G iPod doesn't support Notes, but it's incredibly handy to be able to carry cache listings on a piece of hardware I already own and carry with me virtually everywhere already.

Do you know how to get the logs on the ipod? I am using MacCaching but only get the listings...

Thanks,

If you have an iPod that supports notes (as mentioned, older ones like mine do not) when you go to "export", in MacCaching there is a checkbox in the dialog that chooses "Logs to iPod Notes" or something similar.

With mine, I export cache listings to iPod (VCF), and as others have noted, extremely long descriptions (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, ISQ) will be cut off. Usually before they even GET to saying what the cache type is. Forget about the hint.