T-Mobile G-1 Phone

kylebowers

I'd say no since it has not been released yet. When it does come out someone will have to adapt an existing software or write a new one since it has a brand new OS. However if you get the dataplan through T-Mobile you should be able to pull up the mobile cache pages straight from Geocaching.com.

I used one for geocaching during the internal beta test. The maps app showed me my current location using the GPS, and then I searched for nearby caches on Geocaching.com with the browser. I followed the Google Maps link (which opened in the maps app) to view the cache location, then displayed my own location and walked over to where the cache was hidden. After finding the cache, I went back to the browser to log the find. It was just a rest stop cache, but it was fun to play with the new toy.

An integrated geocaching app would make it a lot easier, of course.

I used one for geocaching during the internal beta test. The maps app showed me my current location using the GPS, and then I searched for nearby caches on Geocaching.com with the browser. I followed the Google Maps link (which opened in the maps app) to view the cache location, then displayed my own location and walked over to where the cache was hidden. After finding the cache, I went back to the browser to log the find. It was just a rest stop cache, but it was fun to play with the new toy.

So the unit does have an internal GPS unit? I haven't been able to find any good info on that, it is the key feature I'm interested in.

The Apple i-Phone didn't really impress me much, but this G1 has gotten my attention since it is going to support open source apps, which I'm hoping will be free. If the price is reasonable I could see myself getting one of these, unlike the i-Phone which I see as a money pit. All the other cool features appear awesome, but if it doesn't have an actual traditional GPS receiver under the hood it would discourage me from considering it further. I don't talk on the phone much, so the other functions would be more important to me, but if I'm going to have it as a phone it better get service as good as or better than my current pay-as-you-go cell.

It does have a internal GPS. I have decided to buy another Blackberry for now because I really like geonavigator. In two years when I'm due for my next phone upgrade maybe there will be a version of GV for android phones.

So the unit does have an internal GPS unit? I haven't been able to find any good info on that, it is the key feature I'm interested in.

The Apple i-Phone didn't really impress me much, but this G1 has gotten my attention since it is going to support open source apps, which I'm hoping will be free. If the price is reasonable I could see myself getting one of these, unlike the i-Phone which I see as a money pit. All the other cool features appear awesome, but if it doesn't have an actual traditional GPS receiver under the hood it would discourage me from considering it further. I don't talk on the phone much, so the other functions would be more important to me, but if I'm going to have it as a phone it better get service as good as or better than my current pay-as-you-go cell.

I’ve been looking very closely at this phone as a possible upgrade to my current cell (Razr V3). Yes, as part of the “android” package, it does have a traditional GPS receiver by default (not the cell tower triangulation). I read somewhere that it was going to be the SIRF chip, but I also read that the SIRF chipset was going to be banned from import to the USA due to patent infringement (I haven’t followed up on that rumor). I’m betting that the “open architecture” will keep the “Verizon type” money pit providers from charging for a GPS service that someone is just going to find a work around for in a few hours. I’m also interested in the Linux kernel being the foundation of the OS. I have tweaked the heck out of my Tomtom due to this “open” OS, and I see great potential for a “smart phone” that can be tailored to suit my needs as well. I almost never leave my house without at least one GPSr (doesn’t every geocacher have more than one?), so it would be great if I could combine my cell phone (which I am required to carry for work related stuff anyway), the chores now relegated to my Palm Visor or Tomtom (paperless caching), and my Vista HCx all in one unit! I don’t think I would use the smart phone as my primary cache finding tool or street navigation device, but for that random P&G while the wife is shopping, or that chance for a FTF while I’m out and about just getting stuff done, it would be great! The thing that has stopped me (ok, besides explaining the $200+ or so to the wife), is I really don’t like the physical format of the G1 that T-Mobile is offering. The “sidekick” design would probably not stand up to the rigors that my cell phone must endure. My needs necessitate something with very few (preferably none) moving parts. My cell phone is always attached to, or very near my body. Jogging/walking, bicycle, motorcycle (on and off road), and hiking take me into some pretty dusty areas. Moving parts don’t like dirt! Therefore, a touch screen with no keyboard would be perfect for me. The IPhone physical format looks really good, but I refuse to buy into the Apple line. So, I think I’ll have to wait for someone else to offer the Android OS in an “IPhone type” physical format before I pony up the upgrade bucks!

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L
I almost never leave my house without at least one GPSr (doesn’t every geocacher have more than one?),
FWIW, I didn't own a GPSr for almost a year after starting geocaching. I found more than 300 caches before buying a GPSr, and I still find many local caches without one.
so it would be great if I could combine my cell phone (which I am required to carry for work related stuff anyway), the chores now relegated to my Palm Visor or Tomtom (paperless caching), and my Vista HCx all in one unit!
I no longer carry my old cell phone. I still carry my Palm PDA, but I can see an Android device replacing my Palm PDA soon.

I don't see an Android device replacing a GPSr (especially one with a high-sensitivity receiver like the Vista HCx). It's like the camera that's built into the G1: It's convenient because I have it with me whenever I have the phone with me, but I carry my Nikon when I'm planning to take photos.

I’ve been looking very closely at this phone as a possible upgrade to my current cell (Razr V3). Yes, as part of the “android” package, it does have a traditional GPS receiver by default (not the cell tower triangulation). I read somewhere that it was going to be the SIRF chip, but I also read that the SIRF chipset was going to be banned from import to the USA due to patent infringement (I haven’t followed up on that rumor).

I just found the article here.

As a gadget freak - not only do I have an eTrex legend, a couple of 60-series, a Colorado, Oregon, and Nuvi 880 - but I also have an iPhone (first gen), and as of yesterday - a new G1.

Do I think the G1 will replace a "real" GPSr? Absolutely not. But, as noted above - for those 'caches of opportunity' - it's definitely nice to have the capability.

As much as I like the UI on the iPhone, I've got some big pet peeves about it, that never seem to get addressed in firmware upgrades. I had jailbroken mine, so that I could install apps before the App Store existed - but there wasn't anything really compelling there (even the Geocaching app lacks appeal without an integrated GPS receiver).

In the first day, I've installed a dozen or more apps - including two that I found immediately interesting:

Orienteer: While the G1 has an integrated GPSr, as demonstrated by showing "My Location" on Google Maps - there's no 'out of the box' way to view GPS data. This app solves that problem - by exposing both the GPS data, and electronic compass - which was a feature I didn't even realize it had. Now, at least I can view Lat/Lon, and then go plug these values into geocaching.com, and find out what caches are nearby.

GPSTracker: This is a bit big-brotherish for my tastes - but still quite novel. The device uploads your position to a web site, overlayed on a map - so you can, for example, track your travels (or your device, if it's not with you). The disclaimers are hilarious: You can't slip you phone into your teenager's backpack to see what they're up to while you're away at work. [:yikes:]

I'm anxiously awaiting the first actual geocaching application for the device. Any java coders here willing to take a crack at it? Who knows - perhaps Jeremy and crew might actually consider porting the geocaching app developed for the iPhone?

I'm anxiously awaiting the first actual geocaching application for the device. Any java coders here willing to take a crack at it? Who knows - perhaps Jeremy and crew might actually consider porting the geocaching app developed for the iPhone?

A Wherigo port would be nice (and shouldn't be to difficult). That would 1-up the iPhone.

There is a geobrowse application that my other half downloaded on the G1 a couple of days ago. We've not used it caching as of yet but will give it a try in the near future.

I discovered Geobrowse a couple of days ago, myself. I haven't used it in any real-world caching situations yet, just some simulated interactions from my front porch. It works, as advertised, taking you to the geocaching.com map page showing all the nearby caches. Since I was near home - all the nearby caches were either found, or my own - and, unfortunately, working the web page UI is a bit cumbersome (checking boxes, controlling the zoom slider).

Still - it's a great first step. I'm off to check out plans for Ben's app, and make any feature requests I can think of. At this point, between the Colorado and Oregon - I rarely need to use a phone to consult any online resources - though I DO still use the Blackberry to log FTFs from the field. But lots of the features I would have wanted (e.g. CacheMate-type functionality) has been negated by the new Garmin platforms with their paperless caching features - combined with some GSAK macros to 'close the loop' for end-to-end paperless processing.

A few days into it, and still loving the G1: No "Buyers Remorse" like I had about 30 minutes after buying the (first gen) iPhone. Of course, I got past that, a bit, once I discovered the joys of jailbreak + Installer. :) By biggest current complaint with the G1 has got to be battery life: Enable WiFi, Bluetooth, GPSr, and 3G -- and the device doesn't survive more than a few hours of use. Gonna have to learn some new power management skills...