Oregon 400t reviews/opinons also I-phone

daryl20

I am sure there is a brightness adjustment somewhere on it but I have read several complaints about the screen being difficult to see in sunlight. I was very close to getting the 400t. I am sure you'll enjoy it. I-phones might be able to bare bones geocache but I wouldn't depend on it. I would always prefer purpose built, quality toools over one tool trying to be several. I am a career mechanic/machinist and no quality tool has ever done several things well. Maybe Apple will make me a phone/multimeter!

Yes...the screen on an Oregon is a bit dim...but I still enjoy using it. I hear many people using it with the backlight set to full...personally, I have the backlight set to 50% and it is bright enough for me. Honestly, I don't think the screen is really much different then the screen on any other peice of technology...just have to get used to it.

I have used it on a couple occassions and really do like how the unit is working...

I have the iPhone app for geocaching. The list of caches on the go is amazing. The GPS in the iphone seems to drain my battery pretty quick, so have a car charger handy. I haven't actually started caching yet, as I just got my eTrex Venture HC in the mail today, as my TomTom GO 510 + iPhone were not helping me find any of the caches I was visiting. But when I would try with the iPhone versus the TomTom, they gave me conflicting info, so I can't attest to its actual accuracy yet. I'll keep you posted!

I splurged for this top line model but have no idea how it compares to other models. Seems that the screen is not too bright. Is that normal for all gps? Now I hear you can use your i-phone to geocache. Does that work well??

I have the vista hcx and have used the oregon. The oregon's features are excellent but the screen is imho quite dim when compared to the non-touchscreen units. Apparently this is just the level of technology with the touchscreens and making them rugged. So, it is a balance. If you like the oregon, then my advice is don't look at any other units screens since you will then notice the difference. Otherwise, I think you have a great unit (especially when they work out all the hw/sw bugs with updates)

I just bought a Garmin Oregon 400t and just love it. Nothing bad for me to say about except being able to delete geocaches once they have been found manually. Other than that........nothing but great things to say about mine. I even had a 40% off coupon I recieved from an event to use at BestBuy which made the deal even better. ;):D:D