What GPSr do you use?

Nuvi 660 in the car, eTrex Venture HC out of it. Paperless caching and proximity alerts on the Nuvi is wonderful.

I still don't think I'm willing to pay 3 times the price for a 60 CSx, but for those who say they have used both and much prefer the 60 CSx, can you tell me what makes it worth the price difference for you?

I've had good luck with my GPS units - all still work....

Garmin 12XL purchased in 98 for hunting - still works but don't use it anymore for fear memory battery will crap out.

Garmin 76 - not map 76 used for 3 years mapping bike trails.

Brunton MNS - AKA Lowrance Explorer - good reception - topo with Game Management boundaries but B&W

Garmin 76CSx - used for 20 months now - a real workhorse - hunting & geobiking

DeLorme PN20 - great maps - use it for trail mapping along with the 76CSx for last 18 months

Garmin Colorado 400t - had for 6 months w/heart rate monitor - display was not good on handlebars & only single track display caused me to sell this one.

DeLorme PN40 beta test unit - Awesome unit with color aerial imagery cheap - best all round unit for GeoBiking & Hunting - 76CSx next in line

I use a Magellan Triton 400.

I chose because it's compatible with the National Geographic TOPO maps which I already had, so I saved money by not having to buy maps. Works good for me; I've never had any other hand held, so nothing to compare it to. The only problems Ive had were due to user error.

Now you might get a kick out of this but I use a Garmin Nuvi 205, exclusively for Geocaching. Actually I am looking into getting a handheld soon, as I just got into GC this week and am having lots of fun. I am looking seriously at a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. I want a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx but am also looking at Garmin GPS 60. From these 3 what would you folks reccommend?

Edited by rdunnion

I started with a Blue Garmin Legend. (Gave to a Friend interested in geocaching)

Then had a Garmin Venture Cx. (sold when HCx models came out)

Afterwards I purchased a Garmin Legend HCx, which I still use for backup.

Now I own a Garmin Colorado 300.

Wife has:

Magellan Meridian Gold (back up unit).

Magellan Triton 1500 as a main unit.

I'd be very interested in reviving this topic. I'll probably be in the market for a dedicated GPSr some time soon and would like to hear about what other cachers use/like.

I was also looking into the new eTrex 20 due to the affordable price tag and paperless caching capabilities but since it's a fairly new unit, I don't know how it'll measure up. The GPSMAP 60 series seems to come up fairly often in "best GPSr" threads. Of course, the higher price tag on those have me balking a bit. The newer, touch screen types catch my attention from time to time but the price tag in conjunction with some complaints about the responsiveness of the touchscreen gives me pause.

I'd be very interested in reviving this topic. I'll probably be in the market for a dedicated GPSr some time soon and would like to hear about what other cachers use/like.

I was also looking into the new eTrex 20 due to the affordable price tag and paperless caching capabilities but since it's a fairly new unit, I don't know how it'll measure up. The GPSMAP 60 series seems to come up fairly often in "best GPSr" threads. Of course, the higher price tag on those have me balking a bit. The newer, touch screen types catch my attention from time to time but the price tag in conjunction with some complaints about the responsiveness of the touchscreen gives me pause.

Yea, the paperless caching is what sold me, plus the affordable price. Also they claim it receives more satellites and not bothered by tree cover. My 76 csx was the top of the line when I got a few years ago and it can't seem to get me within 40 feet of a cache. Forget it if there's tree cover.

eTrex 30 - That has been shelved until the firmware can get improved. Bought it for better paperless capabilities and smaller size. Immature firmware is really frustrating.

60csx - Back to being my primary device. It works well always, but is pretty beat up.

iphone 4s - great compliment for paperless. It's performs quite well on it's own.

Started out with the official Groundspeak app on my iPhone, which I still use for spontaneous caching and paperless capabilities. I use it paired with a Garmin Etrex Legend HCX which is my first "real" GPS which I got about a year ago. I prefer to use it for a long caching day or when I know we'll be knocking around in the woods. But it's not paperless, so I still have to tote the phone around and juggle the two devices, which is kind of a pain.

Just ordered a Garmin Oregon 550 so I can have paperless caching on a single device. I was going to order one of the new Etrex line but after handling the Oregon at the store I like the big screen and for someone who constantly uses an iPhone the touch screen turned out to be more of a plus to me than I thought. It seems to be very intuitive to use, and the camera is a nice added feature. I like the size too, the Montana just seems too large (and pricey) :o

I'm wondering if any of those who said back in 2008 that they used a Lowrance iFinder (H2O, H2Oc, Hunt, ExpeditionC, etc) found that it suddenly quit finding satellites for them? My ExpeditionC did. So did a those of many others over the past couple of years. Very frustrating, as it was a decent product. I now am very pleased with my Garmin 62st, and can't believe that I thought so highly of my Lowrance unit.

Been using a 60CSx for a number of years but just this week bought a Montana 600. The Montana still needs some firmware upgrades (I'm on the latest update and I've still made it crash about a half-dozen times). Until then, I'll hold onto my trusty 60CSx.

The 60 has been a rock-solid performer but I really want a bigger screen and faster map scrolling. The Montana's ability to handle so many discrete .img map files plus its huge 3gb built-in storage, plus its great paperless 'caching support make me look forward to the day when the Montana will be as reliable as my 60.

I'm wondering if any of those who said back in 2008 that they used a Lowrance iFinder (H2O, H2Oc, Hunt, ExpeditionC, etc) found that it suddenly quit finding satellites for them? My ExpeditionC did. So did a those of many others over the past couple of years. Very frustrating, as it was a decent product. I now am very pleased with my Garmin 62st, and can't believe that I thought so highly of my Lowrance unit.

I remember when I bought my first GPS, a used Garmin 45! It was painfully slow obtaining a signal lock and I could only fantasize about the very expensive Lowrance Eagle which I _think_ had a 12-channel parallel receiver. Not like the multi-plexing receiver on my '45.

A couple of years ago, a friend gave me a Lowrance Eagle for free, which I accepted more for its curiosity value than its functionality. Upon turning it on and waiting...and waiting...and waiting for it to lock on some satellites, I realized how far GPS receiver technology had come. Nowadays, I wouldn't even use that unit as a backup GPS.

GeoBC

I remember when I bought my first GPS, a used Garmin 45! It was painfully slow obtaining a signal lock and I could only fantasize about the very expensive Lowrance Eagle which I _think_ had a 12-channel parallel receiver. Not like the multi-plexing receiver on my '45.

A couple of years ago, a friend gave me a Lowrance Eagle for free, which I accepted more for its curiosity value than its functionality. Upon turning it on and waiting...and waiting...and waiting for it to lock on some satellites, I realized how far GPS receiver technology had come. Nowadays, I wouldn't even use that unit as a backup GPS.

GeoBC

How true! I was working for a Magellan dealer when Magellen release the first consumer hand held GPS. As I recall The only display on the screen was cordinates. It had to be turned on for 20-30 minutes before it could be used. Garmin came on the seen a few years later. But all those early GPS units were slow. Now this was before SA was turned off. But even after SA was turned off most GPS units had to be one for at least 15 minutes before they would function. This made for very long demos.

Those were the days!!!

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Started almost five years ago with a Garmin E-Trex Legend. Worked great as a starter and I still use it as a backup. A couple of years ago I wanted to move up to paperless geocaching so I got a Garmin Colorado 400T. I should have saved my money. Just a year ago I bought a Magellan Explorist 610. I couldn't be happier with it.