Lock & Lock containers

Jedi Cacher

All of my hides so far have been ammo cans and am wanting to hide a few Lock & Lock containers. While breezing through the forums one day I discovered a topic on painting ammo cans. There were some really cool camo paint jobs and did a few myself that turned out really well and so far have seemed to held up under the elements. I have run across Lock & Locks that were painted up but from slight wear and tear the paint was already coming off. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions on getting the paint to adhere to the plastic. Or maybe photos of ones you have done or any other camouflage techniques. :(

Take a new lock and lock and 1st, rough it up a bit with sandpaper. Then wash it with soap and water... or reverse the order... doesn't matter. But be sure you wash them.

After doing those 2 things, I've had VERY good luck with Krylon Fusion paint. The ultra flat camo paints they have in Walmart are Fusion Paints.

I haven't had any problem with this paint coming off of L&Ls, or waterproof match containers either. I use 3 or 4 colors and natural masks to paint my containers. Works great.

I agree with what Okiebryan said regarding prepping the container, and the Krylon Fusion paint is a must, as it is meant to bond with the plastic. Other paints will peel right off.

Once you have a dry layer of Krylon Fusion paint, you can paint the container with other sorts of paint. We've had very good results with both Plasti-Kote Fleck Stone Spray Paint and with acrylic artist's paint. Just be sure to give your container a couple of coats of spray polyurethane after the paint is dry, to protect it from the elements. Otherwise the top coat will peel back to reveal the Krylon Fusion paint base. :ph34r:

I've had very good luck with painting Lock n Locks. In fact I just pulled an old Lock n Lock cache. It was one of the first that I painted and was outdoors for over 2 years and it still looks great.

Here is my method:

1. I wash the container with dish soap, water and a new Scotch Brite to get the sheen off and scuff it up a bit. Rinse thoroughly and dry.

2. Apply a plastic primer. I've tried several but the one that works best is "American Traiditions by Valspar". Most of the other brands wound up flaking and cracking, particularly around the hinges on the tabs. The American Traditions plastic primer doesn't seem to have this problem. I get it at either Lowes or Home Depot, forget which.

3. Let dry overnight and paint with whatever spraypaint I choose. Done.

See results below. . The container on the right had spent 2 years in the wild. It's scuffed up a bit because it was hidden in a rock crevice and covered with a rock, but other than that it's fine and ready for re-use. The container on the left was just painted.

0efca63d-dad9-4497-b604-e1dcaf20ba5d.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I also use the flat camo paints from Walmart. Paint the Lock&Lock olive drab, let dry, then take a few leaves and/or pine needles and lay over the container, then spray on a light coat of brown or tan. When you take the leaves off you have their images left behind. When painted this way, these containers are very hard to see in leaves/brush.

Brian,

Where did you get the stencil for the lock-n-locks you painted? Home made or bought?

Thanks,

Jim

I have a couple of these stencils for my ammo cans and they work great. Also have given them away at CITO and GEO events as prizes. I get mine from Sissy-n- CR. These guys are great and have ordered all sorts of Geo supplies from them. I also love there window decals as they look great on my truck.

Also thanks everybody for your great suggestions on painting the Lock & Locks. I am eager to give it a try. :ph34r: