Oregon FW 2.6 and GPS 2.55

Subraid

Hi,

a new FW-Update for the Oregon is available (my 300 runs smooth through the update):

Software 2.6

• Fixed issue that caused a shutdown during power on
  • Added support for marine fishing, nautical, and off modes
  • Added tide and current charts
  • Added ability to access marine point information on the review page
  • Made marine POIs available when panning the map
  • Fixed issue when marking waypoints in the W Malayan RSO position format.
  • Added GDA 94 datum.
  • Added NAD 83 datum.
  • Improved user interface for waypoint location editing
  • Added 'Coordinates' option to the 'Where To?' menu
  • Improved position accuracy calculation
  • Improved static position accuracy

Hi,

a new FW-Update for the Oregon is available (my 300 runs smooth through the update):

[*]Added tide and current charts

Great, great! But where can I find the tide chart in the Oregon?

Assuming you have an Oregon that has Bluecharts installed (eg 400c) then the tide charts are found by going to "Where To? ==> Tides"

A nice addition to the Tide data indeed...sweet. :(

mm

Edited by Map Monkey

WOW , what a sweet update. :(

The "user interface for waypoint location" update is worth it alone. :ninja:

The new tide charts are a welcome surprise and gives the marine component a well needed feel.

I wonder what the "shutdown during poweron" issue was....hopefully it is the screen fade problem. :ninja:

mm

I think I found the first Bug in the 2.6er FW.

The Oregon didn't remember the setting for the "Track Log". When I set it to "Record, Do not Show" after a profile-cycle it alway set itself to "Record, Show On Map". :(

Did you have lock or did you have the unit in demo mode when you changed the setting? I think there has a been a bug like this around since day one. When the unit doesn't have lock or is in demo mode it shuts off tracks (for obvious reasons). When lock is available again it restores the setting. If you change in the time window when you don't have lock it might not work properly -- something like that.

GO$Rs

Did you have lock or did you have the unit in demo mode when you changed the setting? I think there has a been a bug like this around since day one. When the unit doesn't have lock or is in demo mode it shuts off tracks (for obvious reasons). When lock is available again it restores the setting. If you change in the time window when you don't have lock it might not work properly -- something like that.

Hi,

I know this bug and it's unfortunately a different one to the new bug. I have a fix and it sets itself back.

I think I found the first Bug in the 2.6er FW.

The Oregon didn't remember the setting for the "Track Log". When I set it to "Record, Do not Show" after a profile-cycle it alway set itself to "Record, Show On Map". :(

GO$Rs

I can confirm that with full lock (5m accuracy) setting the track recording to "Record, Do not Show" then changing profiles, then changing back to the original profile, causes the track setting to jump to "Record Show on Map". Sound like a bug. :ninja:

At least it is still Recording..... :ninja:

I wonder why the track setting isn't being stored correctly between cyclings?

mm

I'll make a note of the tracklog bug and put it on the issues list. Lots of feature enhancements that I wasn't expecting.

* Fixed issue that caused a shutdown during power on

Hopefully this is a fix for the many power on freezes people have been seeing. I did notice that my mass storage connect time was _significantly_ improved with this update. I believe these issues make have both been related to some memory/resource leak.

* Added support for marine fishing, nautical, and off modes

I don't have Bluecharts installed but under Setup>Marine>Marine Chart Drawing Mode you have these three options. They do seem to change the color of water, but I can't verify much more than that.

marine-modes-180x300.jpg

* Added tide and current charts

Cool but still no ability to view charts on a different day.

tides-180x300.jpg

* Improved user interface for waypoint location editing

Well done, although I wish the little up and down arrows worked on the numbers not just N, S, E and W.

coordinate-entry-180x300.jpg

* Added 'Coordinates' option to the 'Where To?' menu

Another surprise but welcome addition. Uses the coordinate entry format above.

whereto-coordinates-180x300.jpg

* Improved position accuracy calculation

After letting the GPS soak to build the almanac it did seem like EPE (GPS Accuracy) was lower than it had been in the past but I really need to take it into the woods.

* Improved static position accuracy

I'm hoping this might fix the "Time stopped" increment when you are moving slowly but we'll see.

More GPS testing tomorrow.

GO$Rs

* Added support for marine fishing, nautical, and off modes

Some screen captures of this feature using Bluecharts g2 v3.00 (AUS/NZ) on the 400c (map detail - Most):

Marine Chart Drawing Mode - OFF

534.jpg874.jpg

Marine Chart Drawing Mode - Nautical

512.jpg688.jpg

Marine Chart Drawing Mode - Fishing

554.jpg782.jpg

It seems the Fishing mode removes bathymetric data and navigational aids, leaving a landform outline only. :ph34r:

Hope that helps, feel free to grab the images if you want them. :ph34r:

mm

edit: apologies to anyone on dialup for the fullsize images

Edited by Map Monkey

Confirmed the Record, Show on Map track issue. As mentioned below if you set to either of the other two settings, switch to another profile and back your original setting gets clobbered.

EPE (GPS Accuracy) has been changed. I ran the test loop tonight with the CO and the EPE on both units was within 5' (normally in the low to mid 20's) the entire way. With the previous OR software the EPE would have been in the 30's and 40's.

I didn't notice any significant differences with the GPS accuracy but I haven't uploaded and studied the tracks. Time stopped is still much higher that the CO and 60csx and WAAS still doesn't work for me.

GO$Rs

Just updated from 2.40 to 2.60. No problems encountered. Worked like a charm.

May be important to have Interface set to Garmin Serial?

I also clear the track log before i do things like this. Don't know if that matters. I just do it. :ph34r:

Edit: Typo

Edited by baø

A couple of bugs I have encountered. First, after finishing the software update, the Oregon told me I had too many gpx files... message was "maximum number of gpx files exceeded.' I don't really have that many gps files actually, about 200 waypoints all in the same file and about 200 geocaches, each a separate gpx file. However, after restarting the Oregon, I have had no other problems and the message has not reappeared.

Second is the new enter by coordinates features, which is going to be really nice to have. I did notice that while it works fine to enter coords, if you go to demo mode and then enter coords and press the check mark, the unit crashes and turns off. I tried it again in normal mode with no problems, then it did it again in demo mode and another shutdown. Not a huge deal, but something that Garmin will have to address. Other than those, I am really happy with this update.

A couple of bugs I have encountered. First, after finishing the software update, the Oregon told me I had too many gpx files... message was "maximum number of gpx files exceeded.' I don't really have that many gps files actually, about 200 waypoints all in the same file and about 200 geocaches, each a separate gpx file. However, after restarting the Oregon, I have had no other problems and the message has not reappeared.

Second is the new enter by coordinates features, which is going to be really nice to have. I did notice that while it works fine to enter coords, if you go to demo mode and then enter coords and press the check mark, the unit crashes and turns off. I tried it again in normal mode with no problems, then it did it again in demo mode and another shutdown. Not a huge deal, but something that Garmin will have to address. Other than those, I am really happy with this update.

Did the update and got the GPX warning as well. Everything worked well. Hit a few unfound caches after and everything seemed to be just fine.

If you are getting the gpx file warning I would check a little closer to make sure that you aren't exceeding the limit. Particularly if you are using a Mac you should empty trash on the volume to make sure there aren't a bunch of files sitting in your .Trashes folder. Some PC users have experienced a similar version of the same problem. It might just be a bug but it might be a legit warning.

The issue is described in detail in the first issue on this page:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Issues+Basic+Operations

GO$Rs

The ability to enter coordinates is great, but no preview for the target is possible :grin:

Maybe the demo mode is only game, it has several bugs:

- As pedestrian and routing to a target, the arrow doesn't move.

- When toggling N<->S or E<->W, then enter, it will turn off immediately.

I find the engine Wherigo very interesting, maybe there is someone who can

make a game that we could use a calibrated raster-map?

Edited by thx55555

Not sure if this is related to 2.6 but my OR would not go into Mass Storage mode this morning. It thought the USB cable was an external power supply. Finally got it to work by powering the OR on first, and then plugging in the USB cable.

I've had the mass storage connection issue with my OR since day one. About 5-10% of the time when I plug it in it doesn't make it mass storage mode.

GO$Rs

Similar experience...about 5-10% of the time...but my "freeze" happens if the unit is on and I plug the USB in (GPS Unit shows mass storage...but the computer doesn't see it and the Oregon won't respond to power off)...solved by removing a battery and plug in the USB from off...weird issue...

Edit: Now I see...it is a "common" issue...according to your site...

"(Crash) Occasionally the Oregon will freeze when connecting the unit to a computer in mass storage mode. The freeze happens during the saving of current data or just after as the screen displays the graphic of the computer connected to a GPS. This issue was originally observed in 2.2, appeared fixed in 2.3 but has been observed several times in 2.4 and 2.5. Observed: Many times, many users, although some users see it much more frequently than others. (2.5)"

Regardless, I still enjoy using the Oregon...but, I can confirm, it has now been seen in update 2.6 :)

Edited by ArcherDragoon

Thanks I updated the wiki.

GO$Rs

Any chance anyone has the rgn file for the 2.6 update? I had my OR go into the "reboot" bug Friday. I was running 2.3. I tried to update to 2.4 tonight; the update worked but unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem. I went hunting for other fixes and saw 2.6 was out now. Tried to use webupdater but it took longer than 30 secs, so OR tried to go into calibration mode and had to restart. Now webupdater is telling me my downloaded 2.6 file is corrupt. I tried removing it from the temp download dir buit it keep coming back as corrupted.