download all?

variablestring

I want to be able to push all current geocaches to my PDA so that if im travelling someplace and I find I have some spare time, I can boot up the PDA and see whats nearest to me - however I cant do this because I need to search the website beforehand for a specific area and then download them a few at a time

Is there any possible way to get this as 1 file for say the whole of the UK?

Im aware that it will soon become obselete, however its more of a problem that when im in a new area I dont know where there might be a cache

If you become a premium member you have access to "pocket queries" which can return up to 500 caches based on your own search criteria. By running 5 queries per day you can eventually acquire a database of all of the caches in the UK but it will take over a month, isn't worth the effort and will never be up to date. Become a premium memebr, and use a few pocket queres to search the areas you are most likely to visit.

yea id read up on those, however as you pointed out its not really practicle

Whats the site's views on automated data miners?

Read the TOU - forbidden. http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

Really - using Pocket Queries and caches along a route functions can be used to quickly grab the local caches - all you really need to have is some way to connect to the internet. Either that or plan ahead and have the area data before you get there. Lots of us do it that way.

yea id read up on those, however as you pointed out its not really practicle

Whats the site's views on automated data miners?

Probably should read the TOU before you fire off one of those. They have a very dim view of such activities.

Get your self a iPhone and the app for geocaching.

Jim

I dont have any sort of wireless capabilities out in the field and im not about to start paying for what is currently an expensive telecom service.

If i want to know where all the speed cameras in the uk are, I download them(small payment) I dont just download the cameras on the route im going, that would be ridiculous because I could branch off my route.

In the same way I dont see why the uk geocache sitres arent available for download?

Ive been to so many places lately and thought I bet theres a cache there, but i wont know untill i get in front of a computer by which stage its too late.

I really do think it hinders this activity

We all do it and it works just fine. Even on a short notice trip I still have some inkling of where I'm going. If you are a premium member it is a matter of seconds to search by zipcode, city, road, etc and spit out five 500 caches pocket queries. Per day. So you can gain access to 2500 caches every day, I can't imagine the person who would need more than that. However, if you aren't interested in paying $30 a year for this service I can't help you. All I know is that Groundspeak has repeatedly shut down outside attempts to mine their databases, and I certainly undersatand why. Cache listings are their income, their source of revenue, after all Groundspeak is a buisness. You couldn't walk into a grocery store and cart out all the cereal without someone getting upset.

for starters calm down...

I didnt say I didnt want to pay, infact if you took the time to read my post I mentioned paying for services.

However say I want to visit manchester uk one day, I do a search of anything within 15 miles of manchester, result 1192 - if my pockey query is set up for this, how does it do the cut off of 500 - which by the way is a fact completely omitted from the screen which describes pocket queries (https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/)

how do I obtain all the 1192 caches within a perfectly reasonable distance of 15 miles of manchester using pocket queries?

if you can show me how I would do that using a premium account then that would be perfect for me

Edited by netmgr

If I did it correctly, there is about 34,000 caches in the UK and you have found 6.

I don't think there is a GPS that will hold 34,000 waypoints and I doubt you would want to process 34,000 waypoints in a PDA. In fact, even GSAK would be cumbersome dealing with that many caches.

BUT, if you want to do it, you can. Simply create a bunch of sock puppet accounts, acquire a Premium Membership for each of them and generate a series of Pocket Queries that cover the entire UK. I suggest you do it based on date placed to avoid overlap.

I suspect that by the time you process all the data into your PDA and/or GPS, it will be dark. But night caching can be fun too.

I didnt say I didnt want to pay, infact if you took the time to read my post I mentioned paying for services.

However say I want to visit manchester uk one day, I do a search of anything within 15 miles of manchester, result 1192 - if my pockey query is set up for this, how does it do the cut off of 500 - which by the way is a fact completely omitted from the screen which describes pocket queries (https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/)

how do I obtain all the 1192 caches within a perfectly reasonable distance of 15 miles of manchester using pocket queries?

if you can show me how I would do that using a premium account then that would be perfect for me

Use the geographic centre on Manchester as your point of reference. Do a couple of PQ's based on Date Placed and perimeter distance. It will take you 3 PQ's to get all 1192. Will take a bit of tinkering with date ranges to optimize but you can do that without submitting the PQ's. Just view results on line first.

Try setting up two pocket queries separated by date, and screening out 192 caches you're not likely to search for -- terrain 5 caches, disabled caches, etc. Or, set up three queries and get all 1192 caches.

Happy hunting.

can you clarify how this 500 cut off works as it gives no detail whatsoever on the site.

if i submit a query that gives a result of 1192, what do I get back? the first 500? how would i then get the rest?

If I did it correctly, there is about 34,000 caches in the UK and you have found 6.

only found 6 because I have no idea where they are when i visit someplace, i dont travel x amount of miles just to look for a cache, i travel for other reasons and when i am there i dont have the ability to search the website.

I don't think there is a GPS that will hold 34,000 waypoints and I doubt you would want to process 34,000 waypoints in a PDA. In fact, even GSAK would be cumbersome dealing with that many caches.

this is not a problem at all for a PDA it only shows what is local to you at any one time, which is ideal for me.

I suspect that by the time you process all the data into your PDA and/or GPS, it will be dark. But night caching can be fun too.

it takes about 20 seconds to copy a POI file to a PDA

Try setting up two pocket queries separated by date, and screening out 192 caches you're not likely to search for -- terrain 5 caches, disabled caches, etc. Or, set up three queries and get all 1192 caches.

Happy hunting.

can you clarify how this 500 cut off works as it gives no detail whatsoever on the site.

if i submit a query that gives a result of 1192, what do I get back? the first 500? how would i then get the rest?

You will get the 500 closest to the latitude/longitude you selected AND match the criteria you specified.

For example, if there are 1192 traditionals in the area, you would get the 500 closest to the lat/long.

I doubt you could load and process 34,000 caches into a PDA in 20 seconds. But go for it.

I wasn't worked up, if it seemed so, I am sorry for that, textual emotions are hard to convey. I read your post that you did not want to pay for this utility, if that is incorrect, again I am sorry.

As the others said there are no hard and fast rules for how the Pocket quesries run because it depends on your filter criteria. Basically you have to give it a central point; lat/long, a particular cache, a zip code, etc. The query chooses up to (it can be less) 500 caches from that point in a circular search pattern. You can also do a query along a route which allows you to search for caches along a road or other line with a certain radius from that path.

To get all 1100+ caches from the point you suggested you could use the date the caches were placed as a filter, breaking them into three 500 cache batches, it takes a little playing but is fairly quick to implement.

Using date placed, I get every cache in Oklahoma once a week. This takes 9 PQs. "Oklahoma 1" is every cache in Oklahoma (with no center point or distance set) placed between 1/1/2000 and 6/1/2004. "Oklahoma 2 is between 6/2/2004 and 3/1/2005... and so on. I tweaked the dates until each PQ brought in just below 500 caches. I then have GSAK export a GPS file of all 4300 some odd caches and I send this GPX to GPX spinner and plucker, after which I sync the plucker file to my PDA. I now have all caches in Oklahoma in my PDA.

Next, I tell GSAK to filter all unavalable or archived caches, and I delete all of those. Same thing for last 2 DNFs. Now I have a db of 3900 something caches that I am likely to be able to find. When I travel, I pick a center point, filter distance down to <1000 caches, and shoot them into the GPS.

When I return home, or visit another area, just load a different 1000 caches into the GPS.

Oh, yeah, using "get data via email" automates the process of getting the PQs into GSAK. Well worth the effort to set that up.

ok so my task is entirely doable, albeit it via a completely ridiculous series of 'pocket queries' all set to varying criteria in order to produce 500 or less per search and have the results sent to my inbox at some point in the future

Its hardly cutting edge technology here is it? or spur of the moment

The UK isnt a big place in the grand scheme of things, you can drive from one end to the other in a day - I think the list should be available for download for premium members - I can find myself in lots of places in the uk over the course of a week with work and i cant geocache because I dont know where they are

It all comes from GC.com trying to protect the lists that they generate from all of us by us submitting our caches and having them publish them on the list. They "own" the list (although they may have legal support, and agreements from people who choose to list caches on their site, I disagree with this logic - we own the caches, and should be allowed to have people do whatever we want with that info), and make it available only in small chunks. They have always disliked the idea of offline lists, and made that very clear. They want us going to the website every time we think about looking for a cache, even though that isn't always practical or cost-effective.

It has been proposed before to have large PQ's generated by state in the US, or for your country or others. They poo-poo that idea...

ok so my task is entirely doable, albeit it via a completely ridiculous series of 'pocket queries' all set to varying criteria in order to produce 500 or less per search and have the results sent to my inbox at some point in the future

Rediculous, NO

United Kingdom 11 provinces/states

215 East Midlands

219 East of England

220 London

217 North Wales

212 Northeast England

213 Northwest England

210 Scotland North

211 Scotland South

221 South of England

218 South Wales

223 Southeast of England

222 Southwest of England

216 West Midlands

214 Yorkshire and Humber

Since each of those is less that 500 caches, then you can do it with 11 PQ's, and since I think you can control click multiple states then you can do it in even less queries.

Rediculous, NO

United Kingdom 11 provinces/states

215 East Midlands

219 East of England

220 London

217 North Wales

212 Northeast England

213 Northwest England

210 Scotland North

211 Scotland South

221 South of England

218 South Wales

223 Southeast of England

222 Southwest of England

216 West Midlands

214 Yorkshire and Humber

Since each of those is less that 500 caches, then you can do it with 11 PQ's, and since I think you can control click multiple states then you can do it in even less queries.

i dont know where you obtained that list from but it in no way refences every County (we dont have states) its nothing like

there are 34010 caches in the united kingdom and even if you could come up with some sort of silly query that grouped them into 500(impossible), thats still 68 pocket queries

Please do your homework before jumping on the sheep bandwagon

Edited by netmgr

210 Scotland North

211 Scotland South

I count 14 counties. That's 7 pocket queuries as none are over 250 caches. Over a period of two days, that would give you all the caches you're looking for. If they are set up to run each week (just a check mark in the setup) then you can have all the info sent to you automatically on a weekly basis, that way, you're almost always up to date.

I like trainlove's breakdown. 421 in Scotland? I know what I'm doing next time I'm there!

I count 14 counties. That's 7 pocket queuries as none are over 250 caches. Over a period of two days, that would give you all the caches you're looking for. If they are set up to run each week (just a check mark in the setup) then you can have all the info sent to you automatically on a weekly basis, that way, you're almost always up to date.

I like trainlove's breakdown. 421 in Scotland? I know what I'm doing next time I'm there!

no look, the list on gc.com is not a list of counties, it is some sort of madeup nonesense, its basically a geographical list, which doesnt accurately produce results from those actual areas

to prove a point, do a search uk wide and you get 34010 caches, do a search on each of the madeup items on the gc.com drop down list then add them together, it comes to nothing like the UK total

these are the uk counties

Avon

Bedfordshire

Berkshire

Borders

Buckinghamshire

Cambridgeshire

Central

Cheshire

Cleveland

Clwyd

Cornwall

County Antrim

County Armagh

County Down

County Fermanagh

County Londonderry

County Tyrone

Cumbria

Derbyshire

Devon

Dorset

Dumfries and Galloway

Durham

Dyfed

East Sussex

Essex

Fife

Gloucestershire

Grampian

Greater Manchester

Gwent

Gwynedd County

Hampshire

Herefordshire

Hertfordshire

Highlands and Islands

Humberside

Isle of Wight

Kent

Lancashire

Leicestershire

Lincolnshire

Lothian

Merseyside

Mid Glamorgan

Norfolk

North Yorkshire

Northamptonshire

Northumberland

Nottinghamshire

Oxfordshire

Powys

Rutland

Shropshire

Somerset

South Glamorgan

South Yorkshire

Staffordshire

Strathclyde

Suffolk

Surrey

Tayside

Tyne and Wear

Warwickshire

West Glamorgan

West Midlands

West Sussex

West Yorkshire

Wiltshire

Worcestershire

Edited by netmgr

Geocaching.com's search page has the ability to search for caches by country. I'm assuming that it's the same for PQ.s

There are 253+2 countries it knows about.

Of those, there are 15 with multiple states/provinces.

There are 243+1 known states/provinces.

If you have an issue with the list I presented for your area, then take that up with geocaching.com. There is a long running topic about adding various states and counties to their database.

Country	c code	s code	State/Province
USA	2		
	60	Alabama
	2	Alaska
	3	Arizona
	4	Arkansas
	5	California
	6	Colorado
	7	Connecticut
	9	Delaware
	8	District of Columbia
	10	Florida
	11	Georgia
	12	Hawaii
	13	Idaho
	14	Illinois
	15	Indiana
	16	Iowa
	17	Kansas
	18	Kentucky
	19	Louisiana
	20	Maine
	21	Maryland
	22	Massachusetts
	23	Michigan
	24	Minnesota
	25	Mississippi
	26	Missouri
	27	Montana
	28	Nebraska
	29	Nevada
	30	New Hampshire
	31	New Jersey
	32	New Mexico
	33	New York
	34	North Carolina
	35	North Dakota
	36	Ohio
	37	Oklahoma
	38	Oregon
	39	Pennsylvania
	40	Rhode Island
	41	South Carolina
	42	South Dakota
	43	Tennessee
	44	Texas
	45	Utah
	46	Vermont
	47	Virginia
	48	Washington
	49	West Virginia
	50	Wisconsin
	51	Wyoming

Afghanistan	12		

Aland Islands	272		

Albania	244		

Algeria	14		

American Samoa	245		

Andorra	16		

Angola	17		

Anguilla	246		

Antarctica	18		

Antigua and Barbuda	13		

Argentina	19		

Armenia	15		

Aruba	20		

Australia	3		
	59	Australian Capital Territory (australia)
	52	New South Wales (australia)
	58	Northern Territory (australia)
	54	Queensland (australia)
	55	South Australia (australia)
	57	Tasmania (australia)
	53	Victoria
	56	Western Australia (australia)

Austria	227		

Azerbaijan	21		

Bahamas	23		

Bahrain	29		

Bangladesh	24		

Barbados	25		

Belarus	40		

Belgium	4		
	87	Antwerpen
	91	Brabant wallon
	93	Brussels
	88	Hainaut
	80	Liège
	89	Limburg
	90	Luxembourg
	81	Namur
	76	Oost-Vlaanderen
	78	Vlaams-Brabant
	92	West-Vlaanderen

Belize	31		

Benin	26		

Bermuda	27		

Bhutan	30		

Bolivia	32		

Bonaire	275		

Bosnia and Herzegovina	234		

Botswana	33		

Bouvet Island	247		

Brazil	34		
	162	Acre 
	163	Alagoas 
	164	Amapá 
	165	Amazonas 
	166	Bahia 
	167	Ceará 
	168	Distrito Federal 
	169	Espírito Santo 
	170	Goiás 
	171	Maranhão 
	172	Mato Grosso 
	173	Mato Grosso do Sul 
	174	Minas Gerais 
	175	Pará 
	176	Paraíba 
	177	Paraná 
	178	Pernambuco 
	179	Piauí 
	180	Rio de Janeiro 
	181	Rio Grande do Norte 
	182	Rio Grande do Sul 
	183	Rondônia 
	184	Roraima 
	185	Santa Catarina 
	186	São Paulo 
	187	Sergipe 
	188	Tocantins 

British Indian Ocean Territories	248		

British Virgin Islands	39		

Brunei	36		

Bulgaria	37		

Burkina Faso	216		

Burundi	35		

Burxina	28		

Cambodia	42		

Cameroon	43		

Canada	5		
	63	Alberta (canada)
	64	British Columbia (canada)
	65	Manitoba (canada)
	66	New Brunswick (canada)
	67	Newfoundland and Labrador (canada)
	72	Northwest Territories (canada)
	68	Nova Scotia (canada)
	73	Nunavut (canada)
	69	Ontario (canada)
	70	Prince Edward Island (canada)
	62	Quebec (canada)
	71	Saskatchewan (canada)
	74	Yukon Territory (canada)

Cape Verde	239		

Cayman Islands	44		

Central African Republic	46		

Chad	249		

Chile	6		

China	47		

Christmas Island	250		

Cocos (Keeling) Islands	251		

Colombia	49		

Comoros	50		

Congo	51		

Cook Islands	48		

Costa Rica	52		

Croatia	53		

Cuba	238		

Curacao	54		

Cyprus	55		

Czech Republic	56		

Democratic Republic of the Congo	257		

Denmark	57		

Djibouti	58		

Dominica	59		

Dominican Republic	60		

East Timor	252		

Ecuador	61		

Egypt	63		

El Salvador	64		

Equatorial Guinea	62		

Eritrea	65		

Estonia	66		

Ethiopia	67		

Falkland Islands	69		

Faroe Islands	68		

Fiji	71		

Finland	72		

France	73		

French Guiana	70		

French Polynesia	74		

French Southern Territories	253		

Gabon	75		

Gambia	76		

Georgia	78		

Germany	79		
	135	Baden-Württemberg
	136	Bayern
	137	Berlin
	138	Brandenburg
	139	Bremen
	140	Hamburg
	150	Hessen
	141	Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
	142	Niedersachsen
	143	Nordrhein-Westfalen
	144	Rheinland-Pfalz
	145	Saarland
	146	Sachsen
	147	Sachsen-Anhalt
	148	Schleswig-Holstein
	149	Thüringen

Ghana	254		

Gibraltar	80		

Greece	82		

Greenland	83		

Grenada	81		

Guadeloupe	77		

Guam	229		

Guatemala	84		

Guernsey	86		

Guinea	255		

Guinea-Bissau	85		

Guyana	87		

Haiti	89		

Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands	256		

Honduras	90		

Hong Kong	91		

Hungary	92		

Iceland	93		

India	94		

Indonesia	95		

Iran	96		

Iraq	97		

Ireland	7		
	227	Connacht
	226	Dublin
	228	Leinster
	225	Munster
	224	Ulster

Isle of Man	243		

Israel	98		

Italy	99		
	189	Abruzzo
	190	Basilicata
	192	Calabria
	193	Campania
	194	Emilia–Romagna
	195	Friuli–Venezia Giulia
	196	Lazio
	197	Liguria
	198	Lombardia
	199	Marche
	200	Molise
	201	Piemonte
	202	Puglia
	203	Sardegna
	204	Sicilia
	205	Toscana
	206	Trentino–Alto Adige
	207	Umbria
	208	Valle d'Aosta
	209	Veneto

Ivory Coast	100		

Jamaica	101		

Japan	104		

Jersey	102		

Jordan	103		

Kazakhstan	106		

Kenya	107		

Kiribati	109		

Kuwait	241		

Kyrgyzstan	108		

Laos	110		

Latvia	111		

Lebanon	113		

Lesotho	114		

Liberia	115		

Libya	112		

Liechtenstein	116		

Lithuania	117		

Luxembourg	8		

Macau	258		

Macedonia	125		

Madagascar	119		

Malawi	129		

Malaysia	121		

Maldives	124		

Mali	127		

Malta	128		

Marshall Islands	240		

Martinique	122		

Mauritania	123		

Mauritius	134		

Mayotte	259		

Mexico	228		

Micronesia	242		

Moldovia	237		

Monaco	130		

Mongolia	131		

Montenegro	274		

Montserrat	135		

Morocco	132		

Mozambique	133		

Myanmar	136		

Namibia	137		

Nauru	138		

Nepal	140		

Netherlands	141		

Netherlands Antilles	148		

Nevis and St Kitts	142		

New Caledonia	41		

New Zealand	9		
	82	North Island
	86	South Island

Nicaragua	144		

Niger	143		

Nigeria	145		

Niue	149		

Norfolk Island	260		

Northern Mariana Islands	236		

Norway	147		
	240	Akershus
	247	Aust-Agder
	244	Buskerud
	257	Finnmark
	242	Hedmark
	250	Hordaland
	252	Møre og Romsdal
	254	Nord-Trøndelag
	255	Nordland
	243	Oppland
	241	Oslo
	239	Østfold
	249	Rogaland
	251	Sogn og Fjordane
	253	Sør-Trøndelag
	245	Telemark
	256	Troms
	248	Vest-Agder
	246	Vestfold

Oman	150		

Pakistan	151		

Palau	261		

Panama	152		

Papua New Guinea	156		

Paraguay	262		

People Den Rep Yemen	157		

Peru	153		

Philippines	154		

Pitcairn Islands	155		

Poland	158		

Portugal	159		
	113	Arquipélago da Madeira
	114	Arquipélago dos Açores
	95	Aveiro
	96	Beja
	97	Braga
	98	Bragança
	99	Castelo Branco
	100	Coimbra
	101	Évora
	102	Faro
	103	Guarda
	104	Leiria
	105	Lisboa
	106	Portalegre
	107	Porto
	108	Santarém
	109	Setúbal
	110	Viana do Castelo
	112	Vila Real
	111	Viseu

Puerto Rico	226		

Qatar	160		

Reunion	161		

Romania	162		

Russia	163		

Rwanda	164		

Saint Helena	171		

Saint Kitts and Nevis	264		

Saint Lucia	173		

Samoa	217		

San Marino	183		

Sao Tome and Principe	176		

Saudi Arabia	166		

Senegal	167		

Serbia and Montenegro	222		

Seychelles	168		

Sierra Leone	178		

Singapore	179		

Slovakia	182		

Slovenia	181		

Solomon Islands	184		

Somalia	185		

South Africa	165		
	153	Eastern Cape
	160	Free State
	159	Gauteng
	157	Kwazulu Natal
	158	Limpopo
	155	Mpumalanga
	156	North West
	154	Northern Cape
	152	Western Cape

South Georgia and Sandwich Islands	267		

South Korea	180		

Spain	186		
	116	Andalucía
	119	Aragón
	130	Cantabria
	115	Castilla y León
	117	Castilla-La Mancha
	121	Cataluña
	133	Ceuta
	127	Comunidad de Madrid
	126	Comunidad Foral de Navarra
	123	Comunidad Valenciana
	120	Extremadura
	122	Galicia
	132	Islas Baleares
	128	Islas Canarias
	131	La Rioja
	134	Melilla
	129	País Vasco
	125	Principado de Asturias
	124	Región de Murcia

Sri Lanka	187		

St Barthelemy	169		

St Eustatius	170		

St Kitts	172		

St Marten	174		

St Pierre Miquelon	175		

St Vince Grenadines	177		

Sudan	188		

Suriname	189		

Svalbard and Jan Mayen	268		

Swaziland	190		

Sweden	10		

Switzerland	192		
	234	Espace Mittelland (BE/SO)
	229	Graubuenden (GR)
	236	Jura (JU/NE)
	232	Nordwestschweiz (AG/BL/BS)
	230	Ostschweiz (SG/SH/TG/AI/AR/GL)
	231	Region Zuerich (ZH)
	235	Suisse romande (GE/VD/FR)
	238	Tessin (TI)
	237	Wallis (VS)
	233	Zentralschweiz (ZG/SZ/LU/UR/OW/NW)

Syria	193		

Taiwan	194		

Tajikistan	195		

Tanzania	196		

Thailand	198		

Togo	200		

Tokelau	269		

Tonga	201		

Trinidad and Tobago	202		

Tunisia	203		

Turkey	204		

Turkmenistan	199		

Turks and Caicos Islands	197		

Tuvalu	205		

Uganda	208		

Ukraine	207		

United Arab Emirates	206		

United Kingdom	11		
	215	East Midlands
	219	East of England
	220	London
	217	North Wales
	212	Northeast England
	213	Northwest England
	210	Scotland North
	211	Scotland South
	221	South of England
	218	South Wales
	223	Southeast of England
	222	Southwest of England
	216	West Midlands
	214	Yorkshire and Humber

Unknown	1		

Uruguay	210		

US Minor Outlying Islands	270		

US Virgin Islands	235		

Uzbekistan	211		

Vanuatu	212		

Vatican City State	213		

Venezuela	214		

Vietnam	215		

Wallis And Futuna Islands	218		

Western Sahara	271		

Yemen	220		

Zaire	223		

Zambia	224		

Zimbabwe	225		

North Korea unlisted	146		

catch-all state unlisted		1	

Edited by trainlove

Ah perfect solution trainlove, those numbers seem very controllable.

are you a sheep too, following the croud?

those numbers he posted are fiction

um, off topic but, why do so many many threads seem to deteriorate so quickly? Aren't we all here to try to help each other out?

back to topic,

now, sorry I didn't verify the cache counts but I think the general idea is out there.

There is also the 'along route' option. I haven't tried it myself but if you know the general direction you will be heading, I think you can specify within a certain distance of your intended path. It involves creating a kml file for google earth but as I think we've already determined, there is no magic bullet for getting all we want the way we want.

good day all!

to prove a point, do a search uk wide and you get 34010 caches, do a search on each of the madeup items on the gc.com drop down list then add them together, it comes to nothing like the UK total

Tell me how to do a UK wide search and I'll be able to improve my data for my experiments in

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=202425 and

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=203936

P.S. The cache numbers I presented are about 2 months old, so yes they are a bit out of date, but not rediculously so.

Geocaching.com's search page has the ability to search for caches by country. I'm assuming that it's the same for PQ.s

There are 253+2 countries it knows about.

Of those, there are 15 with multiple states/provinces.

There are 243+1 known states/provinces.

If you have an issue with the list I presented for your area, then take that up with geocaching.com. There is a long running topic about adding various states and counties to their database.

the list on geocaching.com for the UK are not counties, I have already pointed out what they should be.

Its very clear that the list they do have is useless, because as you pointed pointed out, there are only 14 in the list, and when you do an individual search, the total does not anywhere near equal the total you would get if you just did one search on united kingdom

It is not my responsibility to push for it fixing, nor is it a convern to me as I never use it.

I am simply responding to you and indicating that the method you suggested as being the answer to my question(as though I might have accidently not known how to use a search facility) does not work.

Edited by netmgr

If you do an Advanced Search and specify country (UK) and Search All, there is 34,011 caches in the U.K.

The O.P. has been given a solution to his requirement by a number of cachers. He just doesn't like what he considers to be a cumbersome approach. Perhaps he is correct, but that is the way it is. As mentioned, Groundspeak owns the database and complete control over how users can access it.

He wants to have all 34,011 caches in his PDA and he can do that as long as he acquires a Premium Membership (or several) and creates the appropriate PQ's. It will take awhile but once in place should be quite manageable.

seems those numbers are just a reference number GC uses to identify the areas in the DB.

no indication of how many caches actually exist there.

OOPS, I cut and pasted from the wrong columns of my spreadsheet. This is more like it, and still does not add up to the numbers bandied about for 'whole UK wide' search, however that's done.

United Kingdom	11			
	215	East Midlands	444
	219	East of England	454
	220	London	357
	217	North Wales	253
	212	Northeast England	175
	213	Northwest England	843
	210	Scotland North	479
	211	Scotland South	393
	221	South of England	1022
	218	South Wales	295
	223	Southeast of England	852
	222	Southwest of England	810
	216	West Midlands	703
	214	Yorkshire and Humber	659

OOPS, I cut and pasted from the wrong columns of my spreadsheet. This is more like it, and still does not add up to the numbers bandied about for 'whole UK wide' search, however that's done.

thats because non of those are counties, just a general geographic location with no specific start or cut off

seems those numbers are just a reference number GC uses to identify the areas in the DB.

no indication of how many caches actually exist there.

"That" is done very easily. Go to

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx

and on the second pulldown, select "By State/Country", select United Kingdom and leave the next pulldown as "Select All". The result will show 34,011 caches in the U.K.

"That" is done very easily.

-Select All-

That's so simple, but it simply doesn't seem to work all the time.

For the UK it does, for Australia there is no -Select All-, and it gives one Province.

For Canada there is a -Select All- but it only gives results for the first province Alberta.

Have not tried any other country except for the USA which has no -Select All- and you have to smartly do something in order to even get it in the list of countries.

"That" is done very easily.

-Select All-

That's so simple, but it simply doesn't seem to work all the time.

For the UK it does, for Australia there is no -Select All-, and it gives one Province.

For Canada there is a -Select All- but it only gives results for the first province Alberta.

Have not tried any other country except for the USA which has no -Select All- and you have to smartly do something in order to even get it in the list of countries.

We can only hope that the OP does not upgrade his requirement to include the rest of the British Commonwealth. :grin:

It always seems amusing to me when a new geocacher with a handful of finds comes on the forum to insist that because of his/her special circumstance he requires to have access to an offline database of all the caches in his country or state. Usually, he will claim that he often travels about the country and doesn't know in advance where he will be and generally does have access to the Internet while travelling. Someone with experience will point out how with a premium membership you can get up to 2500 caches per day (17,500 per week) using pocket queries. They will discuss various strategies on how to structure pocket queries to use them efficiently. Yet the newbie will complain that this is ridiculous, and certainly not as efficient as downloading the whole state or country. Other people will point out the ability to use the Trimble GeocacheNavigator application, the new Groundspeak iPhone app, or just wap.geocaching.com to access the latest online data from their cell phone. Yet the newbie will complain that they don't want to pay for an expensive cell phone plan or that they don't have cell coverage in many places they may be.

99% of geocachers (probably a conservative estimate) are quite happy using the existing capabilities to geocache. Most would never use the whole county and state file, even if available. For them it is far more efficient to pocket queries for the specific area they will be caching in. They can get a pocket query of caches along a route for each of several routes that they may be travelling on. If they truly are free spirits who don't know in advance where they will be, they accept the cost of the cell phone solution. And if they know they are going to be in an area without cell coverage to pre-load a pocket query for the that area or look up caches on the phone while they still have cell coverage and save the data locally on the phone.

Most people also realize they are not going to find every cache. If they miss a cache in a area because they didn't have the "right" pocket query it isn't the end of the world. They just keep driving through till they get to wherever the next cache that have is. Having an offline database of all the caches doesn't guarantee you will have every cache anyhow. You won't see that brand new cache that got published after your last download. And you won't know about caches that went missing and are now disabled or archived. If you really want to know if there are any caches nearby that you can find you have to use one of the online solutions.

I won't post the link to my take on why I think Geocaching.com has repeatedly stated that they aren't going to produce these files of all the caches in a state or a country even for a fee. You can find the link in my profile. Complaining that no one is taking your suggestion seriously isn't going to help much. They are trying to help you because what you are asking for isn't going to happen. (I would say "is never going to happen," but Groundspeak has proven me wrong before - so there is a chance that someday they will offer what you are asking for. Just don't look for it soon).

BTW - the UK geocaching community lobbied for years on getting the counties added to the caches in the UK. The problem was there was no agreement on what the counties were. The administrative borders seem to have changed over time and some people want to use the traditional borders while others want the modern borders (I suspect that there may also be some difference in the names and number of counties). UK counties are relatively small compared to states in the US and Australia or provinces in Canada. In addition, some counties were relatively cache dense while others had few caches. So it looked like some kind of regional division would work better that the counties but more that just splitting up England, Scotland, and Wales. The various local groups working with the UK reviewers came up with the 14 regions which seemed like a good compromise. I believe that because these regions were added later, older caches are not assigned to a region unless the cache owner goes back and edits this information. So that might account for the discrepancy in the numbers of caches.

Edited by tozainamboku

And of course, the most complete, always up to date, available at all times (if you have a Wi-Fi Laptop or PDA and are near an Access Point, or a Cell Phone or Laptop with CDMA) database is right there at geocaching.com.

If he really wants to do his rediculous, daily?, database update, then he can buy as many Premium Memberships as necessary, I think the forum post that tozainamboku hints at also says that.

This is more like it, and still does not add up to the numbers bandied about for 'whole UK wide' search, however that's done.

That's because these 14 "regions" were only introduced by Grundspeak last year. Since then you have to specify a region if you want to report a new cache. You can also edit your old listings and add a region if you like but it's not mandatory. So the "missing numbers" in UK are older caches without specified region.

That's because these 14 "regions" were only introduced by Grundspeak last year. Since then you have to specify a region if you want to report a new cache.

Of course.

And this is one good reason/justification for geocaching.com to NOT implement ANY new state/province information into their database, unless they also add on an 'Unspecified' category to all countries that have multiple states, and force any/all caches with no sub-information listed, to be listed as Unspecified.

And of course they MUST allow a search on the state/province called Unspecified in any of the 15 countries that have sub-states in them (today).

And while they are at it, any search page then should have distance and direction shown (even though they say that all non location based searches will not have that), and those distances should be sortable based on your stored location.

I don't think any of this will get implemented.

Edited by trainlove

Its hardly cutting edge technology here is it? or spur of the moment

I will in fact Not Un-Calm Up. For spur of the moment I repeat what I said in #42.

If you are unwilling to pay for internet service with CDMA, then I suggest you Buy a POI database of libraries and go to any of those that have free internet access, whenever you find yourself somehow somewhere where you didn't expect to be. Or do as everyone here suggests, well in advance of any trip, and you will have however many millions of potentially archived caches on your PDA when the time comes for you to find them. It only takes a millisecond to load a million caches worth of information into a PDA using Plucker, LOL.

I had not noticed until now that:

1. the OP was not a Premium Member,

2. and he has only been a cacher for 3 weeks,

3. and he has only found 6 caches,

4. and he has absolutely nothing else in his profile,

5. and he has only 11 forum posts (all right in this very thread).

I detect a sock puppet account here. Red Alert.

Especially since he's so adept at quotes as in his post #14, something I couldn't do for a long time. And his feigned confusion on the 500 limit of a PQ really had me going...

I had the same thought. Time will tell.

He has been given a working solution to his problem. And he has been told that gc.com is NOT going to change to accommodate his request.

There is not really anything more to add to this topic.

I am just jealous that the U.K. has so many caches I can't find.

Edited by Tequila

Look muppets, just because one is new to this forum does not mean one is wet behind the ears. There are many forums out there, should you choose to open your eyes and have a look, all working on silmilar principles as this forum. Realising now that you seem to only use one forum and struggled with quotes, I appreciate now why communicating with you is so tedious.

I appreciate I am new, however surely it is at the introduction to a new process that one realises the pros and cons of the system, established users generally have a blinkered view.

For those indicating that I am going on about the same thing, you are WRONG - read the transcript, a few sections in and I am happy with pocket queries if I could be told how they work, IE i will accept that I can't have the whole of the UK - however it seems that im also very limited with pocket queries even for much smaller sections of the UK because of the complexities of the query I would have to run, based on dates miles etc - the majority of this thread has been taken up by those suggesting that I do a county search. I have then repeated myself several times saying that that kind of search doesnt produce all UK caches as it seems to be flawed, and others have explained why that is

Unless you actually have something useful to say, why do you partake in putting into words on a forum your rather weird views?

For the record, I will not upgrade because pocket queries 'appear' from what I have been told to be almost useless and that the best couse of action would be to do a free search of caches in an area that I MIGHT be in - I will of course miss a substantial amount but will get some - which is just how I do things at the moment.

Thanks for those that actually had somehting useful to say.

Who told you pocket queries are useless? Nothing could be further from the truth.

You are certainly right that without PQ's you are going to miss a 'substantial' amount. So far you have missed 34,005.

I would suggest you find a nearby cacher and perhaps they could show you how effective PQ's are. Better yet, attend a local caching event and have a real time discussion with cachers that have experience.

Boo hoo, My database of some 40,000 caches in the New England states and into New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania within a certain radius of parts of Massachusetts is way out of date, 1.5 years to be exact.

Boo Hoo, this has had absolutely NO impact on my caching ability.

Yoo hoo, I have found 600 caches in the last 6 months, some 30% of my 3.5 year caching stats have been found in the last 15% of my cachinig days.

Gee Wiz, I didn't know that the UK was absolutely devoid of internet access almost anywhere you go.

Whip it, I don't think that geocaching needs people like you, and I know thousands of cachers personally from the ~140 geocaching events I've been to.

Yee Ha, All the geocachers I know are absolutely the best people in the world.

I know of absolutely nobody who needs to be as up to date as you do, well some in the thread previously mentioned (who is you but inder a different name I'm guessing) want to be more up to date than groundspeak.

There have been enough personal attacks thrown back and forth that I've decided to close this thread. Some posters deserved warnings or suspensions, so rejoice and be happy that we're just stopping the public discussion. Feel free to insult each other via e-mail or private message, but do give this topic a rest here in the forums. Thank you.