Anybody using a GPS on a bicycle?

Crid

Yesterday I went out on my bike for the first time in a few years. Since I've got a GPS since I last rode it, it made sense to take off the speedometer and put a GPS mount on instead.

I was cycling in an unfamiliar part of a wood. One thing I discovered on my return journey was that the ride out was a gradual slope downwards. Which, of course, was a steady slog upwards on the way back. In hindsight, perhaps setting one of the data fields to altitude, or having the GPS on the altitude track page might have tipped me off to this.

Are there any cycling GPS users who can advise how best to configure the GPS for this use? It's a Colorado, so I can set up different profiles for different uses.

Yesterday I went out on my bike for the first time in a few years. Since I've got a GPS since I last rode it, it made sense to take off the speedometer and put a GPS mount on instead.

I was cycling in an unfamiliar part of a wood. One thing I discovered on my return journey was that the ride out was a gradual slope downwards. Which, of course, was a steady slog upwards on the way back. In hindsight, perhaps setting one of the data fields to altitude, or having the GPS on the altitude track page might have tipped me off to this.

Are there any cycling GPS users who can advise how best to configure the GPS for this use? It's a Colorado, so I can set up different profiles for different uses.

I am a little confused about what you are trying to avoid. Most roads are not totally level. They all go up and down. You can't ride a loop, end up where you started and not ride up hill any less than you rode down hill.

That being said, I configure my GPS to show me speed, distance and cadence. Those are the only parameters of a ride I can change.

Elevation isn't something I usually look at until afterward...like this ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/696232

I use my GPSr (Garmin Etrex Vista HCx) almost every weekend on my bicycle (notice my avatar?). But, 99.9% of the time, I’m geocaching rather than “just out for a ride”. So, my use is a bit different than what you described interest in. I can say that setting up the track logging is really important for collecting data for later evaluation. I set my track logs to “auto” and “most often”, and record them on the SD card rather than the internal memory (no space issues with a 2 Gig card). Any thing less than that tends to bias the numbers toward cutting corners (squared off track lines around turns) and just does not look as pretty when overlaid in mapsource or Google Earth. The elevation recording is not tied to the track data logging (other than by time, because it records whether or not the track log is active). That being said, it does make the little changes in elevation much more “trackable” if you have a really good track log going. My unit has its own page for the barometric display, so I can watch the real time elevation change any time I want (but rarely do). By the way, I left my Speedometer mounted on my bike even though the GPSr duplicates its function for single rides. What the GPSr does not do is keep track of total mileage (like over several months or a year of riding). Instead, I use my trip meter on the GPSr to track battery life (hours of use between battery changes) rather than to collect trip data (MPH, max speed, trip distance, trip time, ect,). I use my bicycle speedometer (motorcycle electronic speedometer, and car nav systems) for all those functions.

Now, with several minutes of rambling out of the way, I do have some relevant input for your question. I do use my hand held GPSr to track my exercise program. It goes into my pocket for every walk/jog to record my daily workouts. Again the track log setup is critical. I get pretty good data regarding up hill sections verses down hill sections. The track logs are priceless for setting goals for improvement, and a benchmark for verifying the accomplishment. Besides all that, I’m just really anal retentive and love to collect and analyze data!

Have fun,, cache on,, and keep riding!

Crid,

I replaced my speed/trip-o-meter with my Vista HCx. I leave it on the compass with the speed, time, max, and distance just like my original meter. I also have Streets and Topo since it is a MTB I can either end up in one of those subdivision mazes or on the wrong ridge trail to make it back without packing out. Like 1XL-on-XR650L I keep tracks on and record all my trips and then plot them out on the computer to check terrain difficulty and to see how well I did. Oh yea I also set proximity alarms for caches too.