Cache Size

TheSurfcaster

Currently when setting up a new cache you have available to you cache sizes: Micro, Small, Regular, Large. What I would like to suggest is eliminate the large size, and add a new category, nano size. It really makes a difference on how and where you would search for a magnetic key holder(Micro) vs a true nano. As far as Regular vs Large there is not much you would change in how you would search.

Currently when setting up a new cache you have available to you cache sizes: Micro, Small, Regular, Large. What I would like to suggest is eliminate the large size, and add a new category, nano size. It really makes a difference on how and where you would search for a magnetic key holder(Micro) vs a true nano.

My search routine isn't much different between a nano and a key box. And, from the Listing Guidelines:

Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 litres -- typically containing only a logbook)

I think that covers things pretty well. No need, in my humble opinion, to encourage more micro caches...

As far as Regular vs Large there is not much you would change in how you would search.

Wanna bet?

(ETA): Remember, the Original Stash was a Large (5 gal bucket).

Edited by PJPeters

...It really makes a difference on how and where you would search for a magnetic key holder(Micro) vs a true nano. As far as Regular vs Large there is not much you would change in how you would search.

Eh? You are saying the size of the needle in the haystack really matters for needle in the haystack hides? I think micro starts off that style and it remains the same no matter how small you go.

...It really makes a difference on how and where you would search for a magnetic key holder(Micro) vs a true nano. As far as Regular vs Large there is not much you would change in how you would search.

Eh? You are saying the size of the needle in the haystack really matters for needle in the haystack hides? I think micro starts off that style and it remains the same no matter how small you go.

I have to agree with the OP. If I know I'm searching for a nano it means I'm looking for a Mr. Magneto/Blinky type container. So I know it's magnetic. I also know it's very small. So it may be hidden in plain sight. I normally wouldn't begin by looking for a little button in plain sight, but that's probably how I'd begin my search if the cache size were nano. If it's not in plain sight, since I know its very small, I'll look in tiny cracks and other small spaces. Nanos are really easy to find when you know what you're looking for. On the other hand, if the size says micro I don't really know what to look for. There really ought to be separate sizes for bison tubes, hide-a-keys, and film cans. Bison tube are usually hanging someplace, although some people attach magnets to them and hide them where you might put a nano. Hide-a-keys are usually magnetic as well. Most of the time people put magnets in Altoid tins so I'll look for metal here too - though sometimes they are velcro'd or just sitting there. 35 mm film cans are the hardest to find. They may just be sitting under a lamppost skirt. The other day I found one velcro'd to the inside of the skirt. I've also found them hanging in a bush or in a fence post. I've even found them under a pile of rocks. Which reminds me of the cacher who sells rocks in which he has drilled a small hole and glued in a metal disk to which he attaches a magnetic nano cache. Those are just evil.

I'm a bit tired of people thinking that the purpose of the cache size is to make it easier for them to find the cache. In the beginning there was no cache size. Generally hiders would put something in the cache description of what you are looking for since. Nowdays people don't want to read the description. They want it encoded in the size. Some people want to make it a challenge to find their cache. That is why the site allows you to choose Not Listed as a cache size. The real argument for listing the size of the cache is not to tell people what to look for - that is better done in the description. The real argument for listing the size is to help people find caches big enough to hold a travel bug they may be trying to move. That is why there is a large size. I once got a bowling pin travel bug from an event. I carried it around looking for a cache to leave it in. But I never could find one. Finally I ran a PQ to find large caches nearby. I was able to finally get rid of that bowling pin. Large caches hold large travel bugs. Regular caches hold regular travel bugs. Small caches can hold small travel bugs. Micros proabably can't hold a travel bug other than some that will hold a tag that isn't attached to anything or a specially designed micro coin. The sizes that we have now are sufficient for people to use to determine whether a particular travel bug is likely to fit in the cache.

micro = tiny.... nano is tiny... why add another size when if you are looking for something tiny. We might as well add a specific type of size then. Why dont we just put the exact type of container we are looking for.. The next thing we can do is add some glow dust so it is nice and easy to find when going onsite. I think that they (Groundspeak) have done a great job of giving us an idea of what we are looking for, if you keep refining it then the challenge of finding the cache goes away.

I have to agree with the OP. If I know I'm searching for a nano it means I'm looking for a Mr. Magneto/Blinky type container. So I know it's magnetic. I also know it's very small. So it may be hidden in plain sight. I normally wouldn't begin by looking for a little button in plain sight, but that's probably how I'd begin my search if the cache size were nano....

I think you have a good point on magnetic. That's normally a different kind of search than non magnetic. It's not a cache size though. On one hunt the clue was "magnetic key holder". I looked on every piece of metal in the canal side dump and stayed away from the dead and bloated animals. In the end I kicked an old rotten stump and it broke in half. Out fell the magnetic container burried in the stump's dry rot. So much for the clue.

Overall knowing the container helps more than knowing the generic size. I like when the cache owner lists it. Altoids Strip Tin is one potential kind of hunt. Film Canister another. Magentic Key Holder a third. "Micro" clues me in to the overall hunt. Nano wouldn't do any better job. Magentic Pencil Eraser Sized Container does but that's more specific than Nano or Micro. It takes finer detail than Micro or Nano to focus the hunt. So adding a nano catagory doesn't help enough to be worth it, but by the time you do have enough detail to be helfpul, you would have far too many catagories.

I have to agree with the OP. If I know I'm searching for a nano it means I'm looking for a Mr. Magneto/Blinky type container. So I know it's magnetic. I also know it's very small. So it may be hidden in plain sight. I normally wouldn't begin by looking for a little button in plain sight, but that's probably how I'd begin my search if the cache size were nano....

I think you have a good point on magnetic. That's normally a different kind of search than non magnetic. It's not a cache size though. On one hunt the clue was "magnetic key holder". I looked on every piece of metal in the canal side dump and stayed away from the dead and bloated animals. In the end I kicked an old rotten stump and it broke in half. Out fell the magnetic container burried in the stump's dry rot. So much for the clue.

Overall knowing the container helps more than knowing the generic size. I like when the cache owner lists it. Altoids Strip Tin is one potential kind of hunt. Film Canister another. Magentic Key Holder a third. "Micro" clues me in to the overall hunt. Nano wouldn't do any better job. Magentic Pencil Eraser Sized Container does but that's more specific than Nano or Micro. It takes finer detail than Micro or Nano to focus the hunt. So adding a nano catagory doesn't help enough to be worth it, but by the time you do have enough detail to be helfpul, you would have far too many catagories.

Exactly.

So use the currently available size categories, and use the cache page to further refine as needed.

If the seekers don't read the cache page... too freaking bad!