FS: Garmin Colorado Wherigo.com Geocoin

A.B.E.L.

I'll be honest: I don't see the problem with selling it. I recently received 10 "Waymarking Bounty" coins, and sold off four of 'em on eBay. Of the remaning six, I kept four, traded one, and gave one away. Is that a bad thing? I'd be hard-pressed to find a reason why.

Of the three "Oregon" coins I received today, I'm considering selling two. Really, does it make a difference?

I'll be honest: I don't see the problem with selling it. I recently received 10 "Waymarking Bounty" coins, and sold off four of 'em on eBay. Of the remaning six, I kept four, traded one, and gave one away. Is that a bad thing? I'd be hard-pressed to find a reason why.

Of the three "Oregon" coins I received today, I'm considering selling two. Really, does it make a difference?

Does it make a difference? Well, I guess I don't sell stuff that was gifted to me. But that's just me. :ph34r:

Wow, how did you get 10?

Does it make a difference? Well, I guess I don't sell stuff that was gifted to me. But that's just me. :ph34r:

That's a fair point, I'll buy that. As for receiving 10 coins.. well, it was a Groundspeak Waymarking contest. Just by coincidence, we happened to be in Seattle in early August. If you go to Waymarking.com, you can still see the rules and winners. Look for the "Seattle Art & Seek" promotion. Anyway, long story short, I submitted 10 waymarks for public art in Seattle, and all 10 won. And yes, I really do consider myself lucky.

You might not sell them, but you would trade them for coins you can sell, kind of a fine line .................

You might not sell them, but you would trade them for coins you can sell, kind of a fine line .................

Which is absolutely fine and an accepted practice in this community. I guess I make a distinction between coins that were given out by Groundspeak (lackey's, volunteer coins, garmins) should not be sold but can be traded freely. Just a stigma I guess... I guess I see trading and selling as two separate things, since the action attributed to a specific coin is different.

A few more fine lines:

Since Garmin coins are handed out by Garmin, a large corporation that makes a good deal of money selling GPS units, I view them as promotional items for the company. Lackey and volunteer/admin coins are given to select people and the coin pages clearly state they're not to be sold. The Garmin coins don't include any such restrictions, and clearly several of them *have* been sold.

If you won a TV in a Best Buy contest, would you have any qualms about selling it? I doubt I would. I support Garmin (by, among other things, purchasing three of their units), and a contest prize isn't the same as a coin given to me by a friend or Groundspeak.

Yeah, it's another fine line. I often quote Dennis Miller "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong." :grin::D:grin:

A few more fine lines:

Since Garmin coins are handed out by Garmin, a large corporation that makes a good deal of money selling GPS units, I view them as promotional items for the company. Lackey and volunteer/admin coins are given to select people and the coin pages clearly state they're not to be sold. The Garmin coins don't include any such restrictions, and clearly several of them *have* been sold.

If you won a TV in a Best Buy contest, would you have any qualms about selling it? I doubt I would. I support Garmin (by, among other things, purchasing three of their units), and a contest prize isn't the same as a coin given to me by a friend or Groundspeak.

Yeah, it's another fine line. I often quote Dennis Miller "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong." :grin::D:grin:

I gotta say, that's a PRETTY good argument for that side of it.

A few more fine lines:

Yeah, it's another fine line. I often quote Dennis Miller "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong." :grin::D:D

I would have a hard time selling it, but if I didn't want it I would gift it to someone. But one can always find use for a TV in the house somewhere. :grin: And in the case of these coins, as Avroiar suggested, trading them for other coins you could sell just looks better, regardless of restrictions or no restrictions in place. At that point it comes down to your personal choice & what you are comfortable with. We're just expressing our opinions.

Hey, we all like to hit up the big companies who make so much money off us. We assume they can afford it, so why not. Yet, we often forget that they spent money on those coins to gift to people. Sure it was part of their advertising budget but when they see others making a profit off of their money then I can see them being loathe to ever offer something like that again. And because they did spend that extra money this year on gifts for their adoring public, chances are the money for next year's employee raise or healthcare program or advertising budget will end up coming back to them from all of us because their prices will go up. So in the end we all pay.

I think some of us do care quite a lot because this is reminiscent of the mystery coins which have been sold on ebay. It creates a lot of hurt & bad feelings & then again the community suffers as a whole because of the animosity created and the mystery coin makers who pull back and stop gifting coins.

Think how you would feel if you spent your money on gifts for others and they turned around and sold them to make a profit. If it doesn't bother you fine, but we need to look at the bigger picture here and see how what may be small potatoes in terms of coins sales can end up hurting the larger community when all is said & done.

Remember the butterfly effect. Little things can effect great changes. Some of them, not always good. :D

Edited by GPX Navigators

A few more fine lines:

I guess the Garmin's could be seen that way... it doesn't explain selling the Waymarking coins though.

A few more fine lines:

I guess the Garmin's could be seen that way... it doesn't explain selling the Waymarking coins though.

He said the Waymarking coins weren't gifts--they were won in a contest.....

Garmin is big. Really, really big. Would it surprise you to learn that total revenue, as reported last December, was $3.1 billion? Profit was equally astronomical, at $1.4 billion. That's one big butterfly.

All things being equal, I'm more interested in the healthcare plans they offer their employees, or what they think makes for a "green," socially-responsible company. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I think they can afford to hand out a few geocoins. :grin::D:grin:

Garmin is big. Really, really big. Would it surprise you to learn that total revenue, as reported last December, was $3.1 billion? Profit was equally astronomical, at $1.4 billion. That's one big butterfly.

All things being equal, I'm more interested in the healthcare plans they offer their employees, or what they think makes for a "green," socially-responsible company. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I think they can afford to hand out a few geocoins. :grin::D:grin:

No sarcasm seen. Just a discussion.

Its not that they can't afford to hand out the coins. Its what the recipients did with them. Instead of treating them as a gift, the coins were looked at as a way to make money off of another's generosity. If I paid for said coins then, yeah, I can probably do what I see fit with them. But these were free.

I still can't justify it no matter how much money they make. If we keep saying this company can afford this and that company can afford that, then in the end we, the people who inhabit this planet, end up paying. If every one of us thinks our little bit does no harm then that is a sad outlook. In this case we are just talking about coins, but we carry that attitude forward in every dealing we have with corporate America. If we think that every company can afford to be generous or won't miss a little bit of money just because their balance sheet is bigger then ours, does it seem right to take advantage of that company? Do you think that you as an individual should pocket their money just because they rake in billions of dollars a year? So yeah, the butterfly might be big but if the we think it is no big deal to do this one little sale, and then the next guy thinks its no big deal and so on and so on, then yes there is a big effect indeed.

And, as a mom, if my kids won something in a contest or were gifted something, I would not be telling them they should turn around & sell it for their own benefit. I don't want to teach them that it is ok to take advantage of someone else's generosity. If I don't want to impart that thinking to my children then I should not be taking part in those actions either. And I won't.

This all goes back to the ongoing discussions on ownership of coins and what you can do with coins gifted, and if you want to take it one further, coins won in a contest.

In the end we all have our own opinion. We express them here. To each his own. :D

Let's be honest, anyone here who doesn't agree with me selling this coin is just jealous about it. Whether you term it that I was 'gifted' this coin or 'won' this coin at the end of the day it is my coin, and god bless America you can do anything you want with something you own! (no matter if it was a gift, prize or you bought it) So why get all twisted up and codependent over the issue of what other people do with their stuff? Gimme a break, if you have a negative opinion just keep it to yourself as those complaining about the 'drama' that sales like this create are the exact same people creating the drama in the first place. Relax, don't let it get to you so much. Don't like it? Don't agree? then don't bid on it, just move along...

Let's be honest, anyone here who doesn't agree with me selling this coin is just jealous about it. Whether you term it that I was 'gifted' this coin or 'won' this coin at the end of the day it is my coin, and god bless America you can do anything you want with something you own! (no matter if it was a gift, prize or you bought it) So why get all twisted up and codependent over the issue of what other people do with their stuff? Gimme a break, if you have a negative opinion just keep it to yourself as those complaining about the 'drama' that sales like this create are the exact same people creating the drama in the first place. Relax, don't let it get to you so much. Don't like it? Don't agree? then don't bid on it, just move along...

No need to get defensive. You post in a public place and you are going to get all kinds of replies. Its the price you pay being in a public forum. I was having a discussion with JJG anyway. :grin: We were all just talking. That's one of the purposes of an open forum, to discuss things. No one was getting in a snit till your last post. You just expressed your opinion. We did so with ours too. Don't tell us to move on or not post. Doesn't sit well. If you don't want to hear it, don't bring it here.

This community has been around a long time and if you review the forums you will find that these kinds of sales are never well received. No one is jealous of your coin. If anyone wants it that bad, there are ways & means to obtain one.

If you don't want discussions over this subject ask the Mods to close it.

He said the Waymarking coins weren't gifts--they were won in a contest.....

This coin was won in a contest also, so... ?

Personally I see the Garmin coins as simply a marketing ploy or advertising and as such are commercial coins which are written off as part of their advertising budget. I don't see a problem selling them. If you received one in the box with your new unit you can resell the unit so why not the coin?

For the record I did trade for the Garmin-Chicago Opening coin and then gifted it to a friend.

BUT I don't think they are in the same category as mystery coins or the lackey coins so other similar coins which are a true gift. Those shouldn't be sold at all unless the sale is approved by the mystery gifter.

BTW I don't own a Garmin so you can all flame me for my opinion if you like :grin::grin:

No plans to bid on it. Jealousy is probably the last thing I thought of. I have the Garmin coins and I chose not to sell them. The God Bless America thing also gets old. This is a community and people don't like it when others come in just post an auction of ebay... kosher or not. You just don't get it, and never will so let it lie and be done with it.

Yep, it's your coin to do what you want with.

I don't collect coins for profit and sometimes it seems to me that all some people care about is making a profit off of a hobby. To each their own though. Obviously, you're selling the coin to make the most amount of money off of it. That's why you listed it on eBay and also posted a link to it here. If it were me and I didn't want it, I'd just trade it away or give it to someone that really wanted it. Especially if I got it for free regardless if it were won or gifted. But people have different motivations and no harm comes from it either way. I was just making an observation, that's all. Good luck on your sale. I'm sure you'll make a good penny off of it.

Yep, it's your coin to do what you want with.

I don't collect coins for profit and sometimes it seems to me that all some people care about is making a profit off of a hobby. To each their own though. Obviously, you're selling the coin to make the most amount of money off of it. That's why you listed it on eBay and also posted a link to it here. If it were me and I didn't want it, I'd just trade it away or give it to someone that really wanted it. Especially if I got it for free regardless if it were won or gifted. But people have different motivations and no harm comes from it either way. I was just making an observation, that's all. Good luck on your sale. I'm sure you'll make a good penny off of it.

Well, contrary to popular belief I'm not selling this with the motivation to get cold hard cash (and profit from it). Initially I wanted to trade this for a Oregon Wherigo.com Geocoin as I recently sold my Colorado GPSr and upgraded to a Oregon GPSr... But of course, its hard to find one so that idea kinda fell through...

Recently I started to become interested in those small geocoin-like tags that shall not be named :) to use as signature swag. So... I posted on 'that other forum' to see if anyone was interested in trading this coin for a starter kit coupon and again, interest was slim to nill and they kept saying I should just go to eBay with it. I really didn't want to list on on eBay (and be 'that guy'), but alas that is its final destination. My only goal here is to sell this coin for enough money to buy a starter kit to get my own small geocoin-like tag thingy that I cannot name. I don't really see a difference of what I'm doing vs. me actually trading it for another geocoin or actually trading it for a coupon for a starter kit to that other site? it's not like I'm selling it to go buy a HDTV and before anyone asks, its too late now... no trades, we're down to 1 day left on the auction and over 40 people watching! again, that's my only goal here... I'm not listing this to 'maximize profit' or what have you. I assure you all proceeds are going to be 'reinvested' into my geocaching portfolio. :santa:

and in the end, the saying goes 'something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it'. I know what its worth to me personally, hence the reserve. But again, with over 40 people watching and just 1 day left we're already very close to that reserve and I don't at all doubt this will meet my reserve price.

good luck to those watching/bidding!