PN-40 Shipping Info

webbdad

A lot of the new models are out in the delivery trucks, but they are starting to hit the desks...it may take a weekend for people to get out and put 'em through their paces. I'll post a note over there for any who came via this forum to get back and file a report if they're so inclined.

Edited by embra

DeLorme PN-40 Review

I've been too busy playing with it. :laughing: So far I've been extremely impressed. The reception is very fast and I can get a signal where many of my other devices cannot. Watching how fast the aerial imagery redraws while driving down the highway is very entertaining. It is also amazing to put it into 'heading up' mode wither aerial imagery and spin the GPS around on a table watching the images adjust to the new heading every couple of seconds.

I went for the SE model and have put about 5 GB of b&w aerial photography, color aerial photography, and NOAA harbort charts on it. The screen refreshes are much faster than the PN-20.

Since the electronic compass is tri-axis, I still get accurate headings when it is placed in a not at all flat position on the deck of my kayak. No matter what position it is in I still get an accurate compass reading.

From someone who has eight different GPS devices on my desk at this moment... the PN-40 is really amazing.

Very little... but that is just because of the way I chose to load it. I broke things down into five minute sections. In those five minute sections I loaded both b&w aerial imagery as well as color aerial imagery at zoom levels from 11-16. I was able to load about twenty sections (five minutes each) with that method. I didn't need wide coverage, so I was very aggressive with multiple aerial imagery types and lots of zoom levels.

Anyone want a Garmin Colorado dirt cheap? The long and winding road has ended. I'm selling the Colorado and buying a PN-40. Unlike Garmin, the level of attention to detail Delorme gives it's units just blows me away, alot like Garmin used to.

Bu-Bye Garmin. :laughing:

Edited by yogazoo

Brian (of Team Delorme) posted some important information about that rebate on the Delorme Users Forum. It doesn't apply to all purchases; it's limited to bricks-and-mortar stores like REI and Cabella's. Online only (Amazon, TigerGPS) are not included--but do have prices discounted about that much. So it looks like the rebate makes it a more level playing field for the stores.

That's not a bad idea, if I want my brand spangly new GPS covered in tape (even if just the back) and looking like shirt after a couple weeks or so. OR Delorme could put orange color beads in the mix instead of black.

Folks have been doing it to their multiple thousand dollar cameras and lenses. Don't say I understand them, but they claim it protects the equipment. Is there really a need for sarcasm?

I apologize, sarcasm was not my intent.

I will say I like it so far.

I was surprised it will not lock sitting on my desk, but I was even more surprised my 60CSx would when I first got it.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the software, probably because it is so much more.

Kinda in the way I'm used to Irfanview for simple photo editing, so if you gave me the professional version of Photoshop, it too would be a hard adjustment.

Battery life is indeed low, but I'm hopeing that will improve with firmware updates.

Do I recomend it? Yep!

PP