PN-40 Shipping Info

webbdad

Then somebody else told me that Amazon has had that listing for a while, it was not particularly fresh. My Crystal Ball is out being rechromed with my rear bumper. It's due back this afternoon, so check back then.

"Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on Oct 24, 2008."

_Amazon

10-21-08

The sooner the better! I got so excited the other day because I received a "shipping" email from Delorme. Turns out they sent my USGS quads for CA first! :)

I would be really happy with an Oct. 24th ship date, but not as happy as I would be with a Oct. 21st ship date!

Gusto

We are not privy to that info and even if we were, I'm sure that we could not spill the beans :ph34r:

I agree with this and I haven't been to the DeLorme website yet today.

Had to get a haircut and I sure look nice! :ph34r:

No news on the DeLorme boards as of this posting.

I lost a battle with my clippers last night (#4 got the best of me :ph34r:).

I went over to the Amazon product page, and they are now saying "Temporarily out of stock" and will ship when product becomes available.

The best I can say is that things feel imminent...not that I would know. The company participation in the Delorme users forum is way down, suggesting they are busier than Santa's elves on December 23rd.

Edit: Dang. They oughta have a word for it when someone says what you say a moment before you do (and "slow on the uptake" doesn't quite capture what I'm going for...)

Edited by embra

I went over to the Amazon product page, and they are now saying "Temporarily out of stock" and will ship when product becomes available.

The best I can say is that things feel imminent...not that I would know. The company participation in the Delorme users forum is way down, suggesting they are busier than Santa's elves on December 23rd.

Edit: Dang. They oughta have a word for it when someone says what you say a moment before you do (and "slow on the uptake" doesn't quite capture what I'm going for...)

Jynx

:rolleyes:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the PN-40 since my wife is into Geocaching now she can use my 60Csx. I've heard a lot of good things about it. at jr.com I could get it for $340, is it worth it to pay a lot more for the SE edition or just pick up a big memory card? How are the transfer rates if I get a fast card? Also, I'm a little worried about reception hearing horror stories about the initial Colorado and Oregon firmware, any news from the beta testers on reception in heavy cover and valleys and things.

Today we were out with the Garmin and it was bouncing all over like crazy in the woods, not fun, its generally very good.

Any info you guys could provide is greatly appreciated as I've always owned a garmin, have 4 currently, 2 cars(Nuvi), 60CSx and 705 on the mountain bike, but might sell the 705 and use the PN-40 for that too.

What sold me is seeing the maps on some PC screen shots, the 3D overlays look gorgeous. Anyways, thanks again for helping a newb to geocaching.

TM,

I went looking for one cache in a city park which was placed under some tall trees with the beta unit that I was testing. I recall that I was circling the site a little more than usual, but when I realized this I went straight to the center of all the indications and found the cache. Of course, how dense was that tree cover as compared to other tree covered areas?

I just don't expect the PN-40 to be any worse under heavy tree cover than other similarly priced models.

It is a tough value judgement regarding the extra cost of the 8GB of internal storage of the SE model. I bought one of the 16GB SD cards for about $35 and have it about 2/3 full now. But again, that is so much based on personal values and usage. The new annual subscription for all the downloaded imagery that one wants for $29.95 sure enhances the demand for more storage. So the cheapest is to buy 2 of the 16 GB cards and the most convenient is one 16GB card and the SE model. Of course, in several years, the 32 GB cards will be reasonable and .........................

Not to worry about transfer rates. Transfer rates to the internal storage are far better than they were with the PN-20 model and absolutely no issue at all to the SD Card if one removes the card and uses a card reader for the transfer.

Hey, if you have more questions, you could post them here for the responses of some of the other beta testers:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=...20c23a4ed4e636f

:werd: on what Slim and snow said.

I'll throw in my $0.02 on the mountain bike aspect. Get the handle bar mount and forget about the rest. I love having the PN-xx on the bars, especially the 40 with the faster draw speed while viewing large aerial maps. Tracking your trails and then seeing them in Topo is very cool. Here are some screen shots of some trails that I tracked.

PN-40 w/aerial

tn_biketrails123.jpg

PN-40 w/Topo Quad

tn_3DTQ.jpg

I really appreciate all of the responses, it looks like a really nice unit, if it keeps reception like the 60CSx and has those awesome maps on my PC plus paperless, it seems like it is a really great unit. It is a tough call on the 8GB SE model, if I read correctly the regular comes with only 500mb? Not sure how many mb the 60csx has. But for $160 dollars difference I could buy quite a bit of memory, even at today's prices, I'm thinking a couple 16mb cards should do it. If the transfer speeds are about the same as internal I'm sold.

How is the screen resolution compared to the Colorado or Oregon if anyone has experience with both?

Thanks again for the helpful responses, seems like Delnorme has some faithful customers, which is a good sign. I've heard their customer service is first rate also. I may just end up selling the Garmin 705 and using this unit for just about everything, including hunting and fishing too.

I've heard their customer service is first rate also. I may just end up selling the Garmin 705 and using this unit for just about everything, including hunting and fishing too.

You just described the very reason why you should get the PN-40, it's all about the outdoors! These are great for hunting, fishing etc.

With a set of 2650 mAh NiMH, I got 16 hours and 20 minutes of operation in power-saving mode. The rechargeable Li-Ion gave me 11.5 hours (also in power-saving mode). Curiously, I tried a new pair of 2900 mAh Delkin NiMH AAs yesterday and got a little under 13 hours; I'm guessing that either I have to go through a few power cycles to get them to maximum life, or else they are not quite as advertised.

I'm too cheap to spring for the Lithiums, but Delorme reported 22.5 hours for the PN-20. The 40 times seem roughly comparable to the 20, so it's a reasonable ballpark estimate.

I'm not certain of all that power-saving mode does, but they throttle down the processors so that the most noticeable thing is that screen updates are slower. It seems fine for hiking and biking, but I'd probably want to avoid it for driving in a car.

@ Embra, or any of the Beta-Gurus :

Do any of you know if the PN-XXs exit the "power saving mode" while powered by the auto

adapter, and if so, do they return to "psm" when un-plugged?

Norm

order booked, SE

10-4,

In PSM and connect to 12VDC, screen brightens and remains, disconnect screen dims and the goes dark in 15 sec, so PSM apparently resumes on disconnect.

Chip has reported that the mid November ship date looks pretty good.

Firmware went gold today, everyone's very excited. Accelerometer is squared away and things are rolling. Caleb's updated mid-November is looking solid. Everyone hates a delay so we definitely appreciate the patience being shown here on the forums.

Again, thanks for the patience while we get these devices ready for shipping.

-Chip

Edited by benjamin921

Today is supposed to be the magic date. Anyone have updates???

We have begun shipping units, both the regular and SE versions. Quantities are limited and we will be getting them both in and out the doors as quickly as is prudently possible. Units have also begun shipping to retailers, they should be on the shelves this week, depending upon individual retailers distribution networks.

We hope you all enjoy your PN-40s and we appreciate your patience while we were getting the last pieces of the puzzle together. :laughing:

Happy Caching!

-Brian

:unsure::ph34r::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: The Big Brown Truck dropped mine off this morning! WoooHoooo!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now, tho figure this thing out. Sure is different than the 60CSx.

One suggetion: Delorme, make the back orange as well. It will make it much more visable in the leaves. My 60 is laying somewhere in the woods, all alone crying, cold and lonely. That gray and black just makes it almost invisable.

One suggetion: Delorme, make the back orange as well. It will make it much more visable in the leaves. My 60 is laying somewhere in the woods, all alone crying, cold and lonely. That gray and black just makes it almost invisable.

Cover the back in gaffer tape? I know they have orange ones. I'm not shopping for a GPSr and yet I'm very interested to know more about this unit, thanks to the active DeLorme lobbying :D

Edited by Chrysalides

Cover the back in gaffer tape?

That's not a bad idea, if I want my brand spangly new GPS covered in tape (even if just the back) and looking like shirt after a couple weeks or so. OR Delorme could put orange color beads in the mix instead of black.

Can't wait to try this thing out. The mapping software sure is different.

PP

Cover the back in gaffer tape?

That's not a bad idea, if I want my brand spangly new GPS covered in tape (even if just the back) and looking like shirt after a couple weeks or so. OR Delorme could put orange color beads in the mix instead of black.

Can't wait to try this thing out. The mapping software sure is different.

PP

Paint the back? Check this.

Folks have been doing it to their multiple thousand dollar cameras and lenses. Don't say I understand them, but they claim it protects the equipment. Is there really a need for sarcasm?

What is everyone waiting for?!?! Where are the early reviews/first impressions of the PN-40? Christmas is coming people! Is it worth it? I got burnt on early adopting the Colorado and I wont make that mistake again.

Soooo, where is everyone who now has the PN-40?? Speak up folks!!!! :laughing:

Roger that. Seems as most of the first to get theirs are busy loading up their 16GB SDHC cards with maps and the color aerial imagery.

OTOH, workerforwood was out geocaching with his PN-40 and here is his post from yesterday afternoon:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=16018&start=45

Geez, he said this?

Bottom line was my 60CSX was not missed.

What's going on here?

Literally minutes after the first Garmin Colorado's and Oregons were unpackaged by the first adopters there were at least a half a dozen posts on first impressions and operation. I know I'm being a bit impatient here but geez. Let's go, let's get some photo's, video's, writings rolling on these little baby's. :laughing:

What's going on here?

Nothing here, as I can tell - it's all going in the DeLorme forums, pictures, first satellite aquisitions, all that........

Geez, they are more excited than my grandchildren on Christmas morning:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=997725

Check it out, sign up or lurk, no matter. :laughing:

Edited by Team CowboyPapa