Garmin maps

I have Garmin Vista HCX on the way, I'm not sure which mapping prog I need. I'm more of an "urban" cacher, not into the hiking on rough trails type thing at all. I will use the unit for road trips, so I assume city navigator north America NT would do it.

Suggestions Anyone? Thanks!

I do know (I think) I want it on DVD, right?

Edited by goodwrench00

I have Garmin Vista HCX on the way, I'm not sure which mapping prog I need. I'm more of an "urban" cacher, not into the hiking on rough trails type thing at all. I will use the unit for road trips, so I assume city navigator north America NT would do it.

Suggestions Anyone? Thanks!

I do know (I think) I want it on DVD, right?

Thats the one I'd go for

Very good FREE Garmin street and topo maps can be found at gpsfiledepot.com. You will need MapSource, Garmin's map manager, for any of these free maps to work. The Ibycus or gpsfiledepot websites have great instructions for building your software programs, easily. They also have resource links that show you how to make your own maps. Why buy Garmin if you don't need autorouting?

Very good FREE Garmin street and topo maps can be found at gpsfiledepot.com. You will need MapSource, Garmin's map manager, for any of these free maps to work. The Ibycus or gpsfiledepot websites have great instructions for building your software programs, easily. They also have resource links that show you how to make your own maps. Why buy Garmin if you don't need autorouting?

At this point the original poster may not even know whether autorouting is needed. You are making that assumption on their behalf.

If it's primarily urban caching, a good autorouting map will be very useful in getting to the cache site, especially if it's in an unfamiliar part of the city. The Vista HCx will use autorouting and can be told to route on the road or offroad. So you can use it for driving directions to get to the site and then switch to offroad mode for the walking part. Autorouting is also useful for rural caching, to get driving guidance to the area of the cache site.

In addition, a map like Garmin's City Navigator North America will also have a whole bunch of searchable points of interest (POIs). So the original poster will be able to find out where the nearest gas station or donut shop are after finding a few caches.

The original poster may or may not find these things useful but I think it's more productive to describe the available features and provide examples of what they might be used for than to simply make the judgement for them.

I keep a mix of topo (Ibycus) and road maps (City Navigator) on my eTrex Legend HCx. I actually use the topos mainly when riding my mountain bike. It's the road maps that get used the rest of the time. My Legend HCx is actually a pretty fine personal navigation device with the autorouting road maps on it. But I haven't done any caching out in the boonies where a topo map would have an advantage.

...ken...