Posting Cache Adventure Pictures Online

MaryofCrestline

Well my only thought is to try and take as "generic" a picture as you can.. try not to show any landmarks that can be used to locate the cache...

That being said, one cache I tried to find lately if someone hadn't taken a pic of the container I may not have found it as I was looking for a micro and by the defenition of sizes on the site, the container was a small rather than micro.. expanded the places to look by quite a bit and found it shortly thereafter.

Curt

Well my only thought is to try and take as "generic" a picture as you can.. try not to show any landmarks that can be used to locate the cache...

Curt

If the container is a home made cleverly camo'd container don't take a picture of it. Try not to take a picture of the direct hiding place.

But by all means take pictures of the surrounding area, flowers, animals, sculptures, people, views, historical structures, or anything else that made your hunt fun and enjoyable. Many of us chose the sites we want to visit from pictures that previous finders have taken.

Great topic. Is there any kind of official guideline on posting pics in the gallery of a cache? I have only done it once or twice and made sure I was not holding the container in the pic nor standing near the hiding place. But I've seen many pics where people are holding the container and/or (possibly) standing right where the cache is. Cachers obviously have the option to not look at the gallery before, after, or anytime at all, but is there any kind of official statement on this?

If the container is a home made cleverly camo'd container don't take a picture of it. Try not to take a picture of the direct hiding place.

Agree with this statement, alot of my latest finds have been very clever home made containers that can't be shown. And by my generic comment I was mostly meaning don't stand at ground zero beside a huge bolder that the cache is under and say "found it" :(

but posting pics of the surrounding areas, showing the beauty of the location will bring more people there wanting to experience it.

If the cache description says ammo box etc. and there is nothing special about the container I say go for the pic but like others said, go a few feet away. I've used pics to tell me what kind of container it is but have never been successful in matching a landmark. One tree usually looks like the next.

Some caches (one of mine does) asks not to show the container for obvious reasons.

A GPS is going to take people to within 50' of the cache. So, for the most part, unless you actually show the cache in its hiding place, it's not going to be a spoiler.

Be mindful of the exceptions. For example, I cache I found a while back at a drive-in movie that has been DNFed by quite a few people. It all depends on which side of a metal wall you end up on, as to whether or not you're going to find the cache. A picture could certainly be a spoiler in that case.

Edited by Prime Suspect