Instant notification

mb33lucky

I signed up as a premium member on geocaching.com and registered to have notifications sent to me for all new caches in my area(20 miles, I think) and I have yet to receive a notifications even though new ones have been placed. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

I signed up as a premium member on geocaching.com and registered to have notifications sent to me for all new caches in my area(20 miles, I think) and I have yet to receive a notifications even though new ones have been placed. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

You may have selected notification for Enabled logs instead of for Published logs. When a new cache is placed it is reviewed and published by a volunteer reviewer. You should be looking for notification of the Published log. New caches will rarely have an Enabled log. The Enabled log is used if the cache owner has disabled the cache for some reason and later wants to (re)enable it. You also need to set up notification for each cache type individually- Traditional, Multi, Unknown, Event, etc.

Edited by tozainamboku

Yahoo has been known to block emails from Groundspeak a lot. Many people have switched to other providers.

#4 in http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=205185 shows the most likely reason that many people in Yahoo, and other providers possibly, eventually stop getting certain emails. How something gets blocked, without the user actively doing it, is a real mystery, and is why most people NEVER notice it.

I contacted contact@geocaching.com a while ago to suggest that they mention something about that in the FAQ's and the pinned topics.

I haven't had any problems with Yahoo and email - I get them sent to my Yahoo email account, and then also to my cell phone MMS address, so I get the entire published email, rather than just the first 160 characters - that also gives me the link so I can just click on it and go to the webpage if it looks like it's close enough to try for an FTF.