PQ Feature Request - Rectangular

cache_venturers

Request: Allow PQ based on a user defined rectangle.

Concept: A rectangle can be defined using 2 coordinates (example, the upper left and bottem right).

Why:

1. This would allow more control over the PQ area as I would know exactly what the area will be.

2. Avoid overlaping areas in queries which could reduce the need for more than 500 results per PQ.

3. In urban areas it would better define the section of the town I next intend to cache in. For example I could have predefined queries for SW, SE, NW, NE, and Central "down town".

4. In rural areas it is much more accurate than postal-code.

5. To be accurate, there is no need to know the calculation point of the postal-code.

7. Caches along a route would be much easier to build.

Problems:

1. Might require more processing power.

2. Defining the area would be more difficult

Add-on idea:

1. Shared PQ lists for rectangular based PQs.

This would be a useful option in some cases!

But the best way to cover a large area with multiple PQ's is to separate them by "Date Placed", instead of creating many overlapping circles

That is the best way of getting all the caches without overlapping. That is the way I do my PQ's, I agree with Corey and suggest you try your PQ's by Date Placed as suggested.

Edited by fo2gra4

But the best way to cover a large area with multiple PQ's is to separate them by "Date Placed", instead of creating many overlapping circles

That is the best way of getting all the caches without overlapping. That is the way I do my PQ's, I agree with Corey and suggest you try your PQ's by Date Placed as suggested.

Edited by fo2gra4

An other option is of course to increase the maximum distance for a PQ, and at the same time set the maximum of caches returned in the PQ to unlimited :anicute:

I agree that it would be a great feature to have PQs generated purely with a bounding box (rectangle).

But in its absence, there is actually a way to approximate this for certain rectangles. In fact, you can create almost any shape you want by using the "Caches along a Route" feature. Here is an example of a roughly rectangular shape that should illustrate the point: http://www.geocaching.com/my/userrouteedit...07-b7069b744aa2

Here is another example of what I have found to be a slightly better approach: note that the outline is followed first and the fill is then done with a spiral: http://www.geocaching.com/my/userrouteedit...0c-0ea9dcb0cd6f

And another one which I do use a lot together with date-placed slicing:http://www.geocaching.com/my/userrouteedit.aspx?rguid=8b026f88-b966-46b5-8038-b0315de741c9

The trajectories are done with Google Earth using the "Add Path" feature; I always decide on a route width in advance.

(I hope you can see these links; they are routes that I made public. If the links above do not work, then go to "Caches along Route", click on the "Search by keyword" tab, and use "Hynr" as the keyword. This works because I edited that word into the keyword list on these routes.)