Google Maps Zoom Interface.

fyrfterjr

Luckily, my life doesn't depend on Geocaching..... :laughing:

From some of the anger in some of these posts, you would think that is the case. :anibad:

Take a deep breath. I would imagine they are working on it.

While it may be only a game, it is important enough that many people will send money to Groundspeak for the extra features of premium membership. Far too often, we have seen functionality that we rely on for planning geocaching or logging our finds stop functioning. It is extremely annoying when this happens late in the afternoon or evening and there is no one available to fix it till the next morning. It is more annoying still, when there is no acknowledgment that the site is broken and that Grounspeak lackeys are investigating a fix. While I would not want to speculate if this stopped functioning because of a change Groundspeak made or because of glitch in the system, it would still be nice to know officially that it wasn't intentional and that it is being looked at and not have to rely on what some forum admin imagines.

<snip>

it would still be nice to know officially that it wasn't intentional

<snip>

While I understand the rest of what you are saying, do you seriously think this issue could be intentional? I hope you know the answer to that.

not have to rely on what some forum admin imagines
Oh yeah, I am just a moderator. :laughing: Edited by mtn-man

I hope they fix this soon. It is quite annoying.

Starting at about post #16, the FIX has been discussed.

Right cliocking zooms out.

Personally I love the NEW way, now there is no goofy ruler covering up part of my maps.

Now if all you Microsoft only people, who don't know that you can Right Click things, will just LEARN that your way isn't the only way... :laughing:

I hope they fix this soon. It is quite annoying.

Starting at about post #16, the FIX has been discussed.

Right cliocking zooms out.

Personally I love the NEW way, now there is no goofy ruler covering up part of my maps.

Now if all you Microsoft only people, who don't know that you can Right Click things, will just LEARN that your way isn't the only way... :laughing:

That only "fixes" a part of the problem (actually, its called a "workaround", not a "fix") You still can't click on a cache and get the balloon or any of the features the balloon offers. You still can't change the map to a satellite or terrain view.

I'm sure these are being worked on now, but it would be nice to see a note to that effect from the powers that be.

Good lord, for the amount of whining going on here you would think someone shot down the satallites.

There was a time that the maps did not even do those things that are missing.

- Rev Mike

Yeah, we call that time TODAY!! :laughing:

Look on the bright side. It's like Groudspeak Classic!!

Edited by PhxChem

We are aware of this issue and have been sorting out a fix, so please be patient. Thank you everyone who included your browser info! We should have the labels back shortly.

My maps were working fine up until about 20 minutes ago. Now, they don't work.

Using IE. The question is, how did I escape the problem for the last 24 hours? Curious.

Waiting patiently.........

When my maps stopped working I thought: "They've caught on to me being some sort of low-life, free-loading, non-subscriber, and have cut off some of the features I can do.". So I subscribed. No Change. What a drag. I hope it works again soon, apparently that feature is worth $30 to me!

We are aware of this issue and have been sorting out a fix, so please be patient. Thank you everyone who included your browser info! We should have the labels back shortly.

Thank you for taking the time to address the masses with the facts of the case. Do we have any idea what happened or when it will be fixed?

The fix is in!

Google made an update to their API that broke our map, so Raine reverted to an older version. Hopefully that will take care of it. Please let us know if you see anything funky. Thanks.

All good again with IE7 and Firefox.

FYI, it's been a week or three, but I had a day where the "balloons" didn't work when clicking on a cache icon on a map page. Did have zoom features and alt map (satellite, top, etc.) features at that time, though.

Okay, more details...

If I go to an area in the address bar, it seems to show fine. Sometimes the zoom bar works, sometimes not. But, once I drag the map, it won't load any new caches.

Seems to be a FireFox issue.

Edit to say that it seems to be good now. Maybe the fix took awhile to make it to the east coast. :anicute:

Edited by Skippermark

Okay, more details...

If I go to an area in the address bar, it seems to show fine. Sometimes the zoom bar works, sometimes not. But, once I drag the map, it won't load any new caches.

Seems to be a FireFox issue.

Edit to say that it seems to be good now. Maybe the fix took awhile to make it to the east coast. :anicute:

Firefox has a habit of requiring a completely new session before changes are recognized. It's a good idea to close the browser completely and reopen before viewing changes. Usually a forced refresh is not enough.

Well, I thought it was fixed, but it's not working.

It works well when going to an area with the search tool. I can zoom in and out and drag without trouble.

But, when I try to zoom to another area, a couple different things happens. One is that it doesn't show any caches in the new area, just a blank map, and I have to refresh the page and then use the search tool to go to the new area.

The other thing that happens is the address tool doesn't take you anywhere. I've attached a screenshot below where I'm trying to go to Westchester, NY, but it instead took me to Waco, TX (which you can see is centered int he map I've attached). When I zoom out, it doesn't reload the caches but instead just overlays them on top of the whole US.

I don't think it's an issue with my video drivers or anything like that because it's never been a problem before. Plus, it only seems to happen in FF and not IE. Edit to add that I also cleared out all my history, cookies and so on, and it still does it.

mapge4.jpg

Edited by Skippermark