Google Maps Zoom Interface.

fyrfterjr

The zoom interface and the tabs to switch over to satellite or hybrid maps on the map results pages have suddenly gone missing; can anyone explain what’s up? :laughing:

So I'm not the only one.....that's good. The fact that I can't use the maps as I wish and expect...not so good.

It's only with Firefox and Opera :laughing: , in IE no missing elements... strange...

It is not working on my IE at several different IP addresses.

OK, you're right, now on my IE too it isn't working anymore!

Edited by c-h-b

Double click on the map to zoom in, double right click to zoom out.

oh... just wanted to post the same :laughing:

And how do I get my Topo and Satellite maps back? And while we're at it, what happened to the little balloons that give you a run down of the geocache name, difficulty, etc., where you click on a cache in the map.

Glad someone finds decreased functionality funny.....I do not.

This just happened today: When I open the maps page, the little sliding scale on the left is missing, so I can't zoom in or out on the map. Did I accidentally change some setting, or is this a problem with Maps?

Anybody else having the same problem?

Thanks!

Yes, noticed it last night. Also, if you click on a cache icon, you no longer get the popup with the cache info.

I'm honestly surprised that no one from Gs.com has come back to talk about this - such a serious change in how things work usually comes with some kind of explanation, even a "We're working on it" would be nice.

You realize it's still only 7am at Groundspeak, right? They may not be aware of the problem yet.

I'm honestly surprised that no one from Gs.com has come back to talk about this - such a serious change in how things work usually comes with some kind of explanation, even a "We're working on it" would be nice.

You realize it's still only 7am at Groundspeak, right? They may not be aware of the problem yet.

Well that instills confidence!! Although I'm pretty sure it started yesterday afternoon PDT.

Since this is one of the few times I've come here to complain and harangue the techs, I'm going for broke!! :laughing:

Well that instills confidence!! Although I'm pretty sure it started yesterday afternoon PDT.

Since this is one of the few times I've come here to complain and harangue the techs, I'm going for broke!! :laughing:

The topic was only posted at 10:30 PM last night. While someone is on call in case the site goes down, I would guess that the people that do the coding will get on it quickly today. In addition, they don't upload changes to the site on Sunday. The site is at its busiest, so they do this midweek when traffic is down (note the dates of the "Release Notes" topics, they are midweek). This is probably a surprise change from Google, which they will need to evaluate first to implement a correction.

Oh yeah, and thanks ZSandmann. Excellent detective work on a short term work around.

Edited by mtn-man
This just happened today: When I open the maps page, the little sliding scale on the left is missing, so I can't zoom in or out on the map. Did I accidentally change some setting, or is this a problem with Maps?

Anybody else having the same problem?

Thanks!

Yes, noticed it last night. Also, if you click on a cache icon, you no longer get the popup with the cache info.

I moved this post from another topic, FYI.

Has anyone who's complainging about this thought of complaining to Google, the people who provide and host the maps interface in question?

They are also the only ones who probably can fix it.

I was thinking the same but it looks like they are talking about the Geocaching.com Google Map on the cache pages. So it would seem that this is a website related problem.

Has anyone who's complainging about this thought of complaining to Google, the people who provide and host the maps interface in question?

Whre does the buck stop? Does Google provide the Topomaps? If it's Google's fault, a little note stating such would go a long way.

Google's site is working....this one is not. The Groundspeak tech guys do a great job...but can we at least be honest?

BRB, I have to call Bill Gates because I'm using his browser....maybe it's his fault.....

Luckily, my life doesn't depend on Geocaching..... :laughing: Also, the problem probably will not prevent anyone from Geocaching...

Edited by PhxChem

[This is unbelievably annoying ! probably the one feature I use the most, all the hybrid options gone and without the zoom the mapping is pretty useless! how hard can this be to sort ? I wish they would stop messing about with it, why fix something that wasn't broken to begin with !! :laughing::anibad::):D

It's only with Firefox and Opera :laughing: , in IE no missing elements... strange...

Wish that were true. I'm having the same problem with Firefox and IE7. Not being able to bring up sat maps for trail reviews is a real PITA. For "street" caching, I could live with this, but... Edited by ecanderson

I'm having the same problem but will try the double click method. Glad its not just me.

I don't know if there is a separate thread, but is anyone else having trouble with the"framing" on the cache pages (sorry don't really know what else to call it). sometimes the little box that says "getting started" "hide and seek" "find a benchmark", etc..." covers up the name of the cache. Other times the whole page is screwed up...it doesn't all fit on the screen and the various frames overlap each other and cover up some of the links. This is a new thing in the last month or so and is happening on every computer I use - it has nothing to do with my screen settings since I haven't changed them and they are on the smallest size possible anyway.

Some cache pages are messed up...other pages look fine. What's up with that?

Whre does the buck stop? Does Google provide the Topomaps? If it's Google's fault, a little note stating such would go a long way.

Google's site is working....this one is not. The Groundspeak tech guys do a great job...but can we at least be honest?

This is correct. This is all on the Frog!! Gpsgames.org, which I'm pretty sure was the first geocaching website to plot caches using Google maps (over 2 years ago) is working fine. So too are Terracaching.com Google maps.

The double click work around is OK, it makes the map at least usable for me.

The zoom interface and the tabs to switch over to satellite or hybrid maps on the map results pages have suddenly gone missing; can anyone explain what's up? :laughing:
It was larst night before I went to bed and now iit is broken here in Oz.