Geocaches on I=90 from LaCrosse, WI to Normal, IL

Wheeze

Could someone help me figure out how to put in my route (I-90 to 1-39) LaCrosse, WI to Normal, IL so I could find geocaches at the rest stops.

I find bookmark listings but they are for the whole country and I'm not sure how to filter out so I just get this route.

Thanks!

Here's my $0.02. If all you're wanting to do is the rest stop caches a Pocket Query may not be the best option. Not all caches in rest stops will be named "Rest Stop". Granted you might get the caches to pull up in the PQ if the cache along the route works good for you. My option is pull a cache near by and select the Geocaching.com Google Maps option under Online Links. Then just zoom out a bit and track your route and see what's along the Interstates you are traveling. It might take a little while to do it however, you will be able to narrow it down. I know some of you will say this is to tedious. However, I did this for someone driving from NC to Pittsburgh and it only took about 20 minutes to find rest stop caches.

I found routes but they don't give geocaches. I looked for bookmarks. I did run a pocket query but I have no idea what it will give me and what to do with it after I've run it. I also don't know how a pocket query knows that I want geocaches along a route. What am I missing on this. Thanks for help in pq 101 and route 101 training.

Could someone help me figure out how to put in my route (I-90 to 1-39) LaCrosse, WI to Normal, IL so I could find geocaches at the rest stops.

I find bookmark listings but they are for the whole country and I'm not sure how to filter out so I just get this route.

Thanks!

I can help you out with a couple of rest stop caches close to my area. There is one in the first rest stop entering Illinois, which I believe is called Welcome to Illinois. There is also one in the only north bound rest stop between Bloomington and Rockford Illinois on I-39 which is called I-39 North Travel Bug Rest Stop.

When you use Google Earth to plot a route and save it as a .kml file you can upload it and run it as a Pocket Query. The only control you have is telling it how far off this route do you want the caches to be. The default is .5 miles. So, you are correct in that the Pocket Query does not know what you really want. Now, you can go and look at the results of the PQ and look for the caches that came up. The only draw back is that not all Rest Stop caches will be named "Rest Stop". Normally when I do my travels I will run a PQ for my route and then as I'm traveling I can see what comes up on my GPS at the rest stops and interchanges. That's always an option. As with my prior post doing the hunt and peck method is another option.

I created a public Find Caches Along a Route for you. You can use Lacrosse, Normal, I-90, I-39 as keywords. The route is named "Lacrosse WI I90 to Normal IL I39". Looking it over leaving the default .5 miles and giving it the max 500 caches it is pulling up 105 caches. At a quick glance looks like there are a few that are rest stop ones by the names. However, like I said not all are named such.

Three on the query I've already found :)

Good luck on your search.