Where can I find Camo Tape?

tool_guy

I find that any duct tape colour still reflects the sunlight when the angle is right, even the camo duct-tape that I use, from CTC.

I have seen fabric camo-cloth lately on some containers. It seems to be a peel and stick fabric. It doesn't seem to reflect the sun. I don't know where to get it though.

I have seen containers that had the spray camo-coloured paints. After a while, like a year, it starts to get ratty, and peels off of plastic containers. Until it starts to peel, I really like it. It has just occurred to me that a container should have its surface scratched with fine sandpaper to improve adhesion, before painting.

The Cammo Cloth Tape is Hockey Tape. Available at Canadian Tire. Good Stuff I use it and recommend it. Look in the Hockey Gear section.

Yup, that's what I buy.

I used to paint mine but as the other cacher said, it starts to peel after a while so I have stopped using it. Even the Krylon stuff peels after a couple years.

I used to paint mine but as the other cacher said, it starts to peel after a while so I have stopped using it. Even the Krylon stuff peels after a couple years.

The new Krylon Camo paint is specifically for plastic and only came out last year. So any experience older than that is not necessarily valid.

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_...ion_technology/

Edited by Red90

The new Krylon Camo paint is specifically for plastic and only came out last year. So any experience older than that is not necessarily valid.

However, if you investigate further into the site, it specifically states, as of today:

Your surface should also appear dull or matte. Lightly sand glossy surfaces with fine grain sandpaper and wipe clean with a tack cloth.

http://www.krylon.com/safety/surface-preparation/

Edited by Mag Magician

While the Krylon camo paint may have just come out last year, I have been using Krylon for a few years. I used to buy black, brown, and green and make my own "camo". Again, it peels after a period of time as well. I would assume results vary with different plastics as well as matte vs glossy surfaces. Lightly sanding might help...not sure.

Argh.... Krylon is not Krylon... This is the specially formulated Fusion style paint to bond to plastic. The "old" Krylon camo paint was NOT the Fusion style paint, but the type designed to paint over primer. So anybody saying it "peels after a couple of years" is talking about a different paint as it has not been on the market that long.......

Try reading your own link.

When working with plastic

For old plastic, use an ammonia-based cleaner and wipe down to clean surface. If the plastic is new, wipe down with paint thinner for best results. Lightly sand glossy surface if previously painted and remove dust with a tack cloth. When dry, apply Krylon® Fusion for Plastic according to the directions on the can.

Only sand if it has paint on it. Straight plastic just needs to be clean.

I have used camo tape both duct and cloth. it's a quick coverup, and if your goal is to cover up a few film cans for cheap caches, it's a good short term solution. which i some areas, i know is not going to last long so no harm no foul. (small public parks) but the key word is short term. both of those tapes was not designed for long outdoor exposue. the duct tape will peal after a good temp change and the cloth will collect water. both make it something that ya might not not to pick up in a year. on the other hand, if your going to spend 5 to 10 bucks on a cache container, think about getting your finger colored with a spray can. pick two colors that are somewhat neutral to your area and a black. mix back and forth between the two, you can also put leaves on it and then remove. lastly, take the black can, and drive a finishing nail into the spray head (ya might want to remove it from the can first) remove nail and spray the worst spray you have ever seen, which is exactly what you want to blend the first two colors.

good luck

1b8a20c9-3365-42e0-801e-7ae7fce6904a.jpg

Argh.... Krylon is not Krylon... This is the specially formulated Fusion style paint to bond to plastic. The "old" Krylon camo paint was NOT the Fusion style paint, but the type designed to paint over primer. So anybody saying it "peels after a couple of years" is talking about a different paint as it has not been on the market that long.......

Try reading your own link.

When working with plastic

For old plastic, use an ammonia-based cleaner and wipe down to clean surface. If the plastic is new, wipe down with paint thinner for best results. Lightly sand glossy surface if previously painted and remove dust with a tack cloth. When dry, apply Krylon® Fusion for Plastic according to the directions on the can.

Only sand if it has paint on it. Straight plastic just needs to be clean.

Not sure who you are replying to Red, but if it was me in the first part of your reply, I am not the one who provided the link.

I have seen fabric camo-cloth lately on some containers. It seems to be a peel and stick fabric. It doesn't seem to reflect the sun. I don't know where to get it though.

You can find matte camo fabric tape in most hunting stores. More expensive than the duct tape, but one roll will cover many regular size caches. You may even have a choice of camo (birch, oak...)

I just discovered that Landsharkz has the Krylon Camo paint in stock. Looks like a good price and knowing Chris and Helen, you would have it on your doorstep pretty fast. Check them out...

It is sold at any Canadian Tire for $6.29 a bottle, Product #48-1091-4.

The Cammo Cloth Tape is Hockey Tape. Available at Canadian Tire. Good Stuff I use it and recommend it. Look in the Hockey Gear section.

We recently used cammo hockey tape, too, and found it easier to apply and less shiny than duct tape. But it left us with two questions:

1. Will it become black and mouldy after a few years?

2. Why would you cammo your hockey stick? :rolleyes:

I bought some of the Krylon Fusion camo paint last night and sprayed up a couple of Lock'n'Locks today. I followed the directions and wiped down the new plastic with paint thinner and let it dry before painting. This stuff goes on very nice. The valve at the top of the can is a different design than I've seen before. It dries quickly and you can recoat in about 15 minutes. If this stuff is as good as it claims, I'm done with camo tape - this is so much easier to apply and have it look good.

In our experience, whatever preparation method you use, follow the instructions on the can and let them cure for 7 days before evaluating the adherence stability. Scratch them with your nail to try to replicate the rough use they'll get being crammed back under a rock or into a crevice of a tree.

You may or may not decide that sanding first is still necessary. If you are ever at a trade show and see a Krylon booth don't be surprised if there is a pile of cache containers there as part of their display. We tested the new line of Krylon Fusion Camo for them last spring before it went to market.

Some of our camo-art samples:

Woodland.jpg

AMMOSET_kahki%20kamo_full.jpg

CACHELG_large_full.jpg

Edited by Landsharkz