Ohio Cachers

Pinewood

How many Ohio cachers do we have on here?

Howdy! Brand spanking new to the site and still learning the ropes. Anyway, I am from the Cincinnati area, specifically Butler County region and I'm excited to learn more about geocaching and getting more involved with outdoor fun. I spend way too much time behind the computer and need a new hobby! B)

Now all I need is gear. I'm looking for GPS units on eBay but there are so many to choose from. Time to research! My budget is under $200 and for just starting out I would imgine I could find something pretty decent.

Nice to be here and looking forward to learning more.

It's nice to know where everyone is from but I need advice on WHERE to hike. Living in Cincinnati doesn't give me many options. When I say hike I obviously mean hike/geocaching just to keep the wolves at bay for not mentioning the terms. But sometimes it's nice just to "hike" and not really look for stuff all the time.

Yes, I know it's a "geocaching" forum but I figured since geocachers have a lot of experience getting out and about why not ask here right?

I actually posted a new topic in the Midwest forum asking this very question.

Any advice would be appreciated!

:D

Franklin County here, Hilliard area. Looking to make new friends and possibly join groups of teams :)

I've seen that name in #cbj on Twitter, at least I assume you're the same person. Anyhow welcome, and there is the Central Ohio Geocachers. I haven't really been involved with them for years, and it doesn't seem they're as active right now, but I see that they still have a monthly gathering.

Cache & Coffee - Dublin 10/29

Cache & Coffee - Westerville 11/10

They're pretty much just informal hangouts, but it's a good way to meet other cachers.

As far as joining groups or teams, when I would spend the day caching with others it was usually pretty spur of the moment. Just a few of us would get together with a general area we wanted to cache in and just go. There was usually little planning involved. So show up at some of those events, meet folks, and say "Hey, you wanna go hit Newark next weekend? I've heard there's this cache there that...and want to check it out." Then just meet up somewhere for breakfast and spend the day caching.

Or maybe put together a twitter list. I'm sure there are some local cachers on there. Then you could just post up on there, or maybe use a hashtag (I guess one would have to be universally established for the local area though), and say "I'm headed to Grove City today, anyone want to come along..."

Edited by Mr. 0

Franklin County here, Hilliard area. Looking to make new friends and possibly join groups of teams :)

I've seen that name in #cbj on Twitter, at least I assume you're the same person. Anyhow welcome, and there is the Central Ohio Geocachers. I haven't really been involved with them for years, and it doesn't seem they're as active right now, but I see that they still have a monthly gathering.

Yep! That's me, same person on here as on twitter. How awesome to find someone who knows me from the tag. Do I follow you or vice versa? As for the monthly gatherings I've been meaning to go to some but recently came down with the flu so I had to miss it. I'll keep an eye out for new ones that pop up this month or next.

I've been trying to recruit some of my friends but so far only one seems really interested and they live 45 minutes away. :( So far I've just been taking my son out on runs and he seems to enjoy it. Sometimes this makes for a lot of DNF's though.

Yep! That's me, same person on here as on twitter. How awesome to find someone who knows me from the tag. Do I follow you or vice versa? As for the monthly gatherings I've been meaning to go to some but recently came down with the flu so I had to miss it. I'll keep an eye out for new ones that pop up this month or next.

I've been trying to recruit some of my friends but so far only one seems really interested and they live 45 minutes away. :( So far I've just been taking my son out on runs and he seems to enjoy it. Sometimes this makes for a lot of DNF's though.

You have a unique username, so it stood out to me when I saw it on here. I don't follow you I just followed you, and I don't think you're following me. I'm not terribly active on Twitter. I read much more than I post, but feel free to follow me if you want @mhaserodt.

I've had little luck recruiting people who aren't already interested in Geocaching. It seems that if people aren't inherently interested then there's little I can do to get them interested.

Edited by Mr. 0

It's nice to know where everyone is from but I need advice on WHERE to hike. Living in Cincinnati doesn't give me many options. When I say hike I obviously mean hike/geocaching just to keep the wolves at bay for not mentioning the terms. But sometimes it's nice just to "hike" and not really look for stuff all the time.

Yes, I know it's a "geocaching" forum but I figured since geocachers have a lot of experience getting out and about why not ask here right?

I actually posted a new topic in the Midwest forum asking this very question.

Any advice would be appreciated!

:D

Hello Road bug,

Welcome to Cincinnati. There are no great places to hike. There are some nice parks though. To get good hiking you will have to travel - red river gorge has pretty hiking and its only a few hours away. In cincinnati, my dogs and i like Johnson Park in Clermont County and the Cincinnati Nature Center. Versailles in Indiana and Hueston Woods in Oxford, OH have pretty hiking trails. Stonelick in Milford, Oh has some nice trails but not very difficult - easy walking (also look out for illegal hunters). I also enjoy a few Northern Kentucky parks - England Idlewild has nice hiking/biking trails. Hope this helps a little. :)

Hello Ohioans!

I'm looking for experienced cachers (1000+ finds in multiple states) living in Miami County to help organize a new GeoTrail. We're looking to set up a quality experience here in Miami County with a large kick off event in 2013.

Please message me at my profile on geocaching.com for more information.

Thank you!

:blink: Hi! We recently came across the JOY of Geocaching. We live in Medina County and have only yet BEGUN to explore the local caches (in Brunswick). Looking for a few like-minded friends to go on searches with.

Hello I also just came across Geocaching this year with my girlfriend. We are in medina and are looking for some local events and people to cache with!!!

Hello, I'm a geocacher in Athens, OH. You may have heard that the mega event MOGA 2014 will be held in Athens OH! I am one of the local geocachers helping out. We are contacting Ohio cachers to ask you to help us welcome MOGA participants. We all know that geocachers look for caches as they travel. We are hoping to have all of Ohio participate by placing new caches related to our theme, 'Geocaching Impossible', or even renaming current caches in some way that will welcome MOGA participants to Ohio. We would really like to focus on Ohio borders and main roads that head through Ohio to Athens. I'm asking you to spread the word. Hopefully Ohio can impress MOGA participants, especially since this is the farthest east that the mega event has been hosted. We want the eleventh annual MOGA 2014 to be one of the best, and you and your fellow geocachers can help make it happen. Maybe some of Ohio's Geocachers will compete and take home the coveted cup!

Thank You for your time, and remember, Geocachers never abort their mission.

Apparition Cacher

Event link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC491R5

Geocahing Impossible video:

We're from Newark in Licking County. We've been caching for what seems to be forever, but I've never visited this particular forum before.

We have a small but loyal/active group of cachers in our area - our monthly meetings are the 4th Thursday of each month at the East and West Chinese Buffet in Heath, OH at 6:30pm. ALL are welcome!! Just do a search at N 40° 01.743 W 082° 26.419 for the latest listings.

We also join forces quite often with the Central Ohio Geocachers (http://centralohiogeocaching.org)