Has anyone heard about Metroguide Canada v5?

Ken in Regina

How old is the forum entry?? I think Metroguide is long since obsolete. I thought Garmin was only producing City Navigator.

The date is right on the PDF: Purchase between October 1 and December 31, 2008.

Has anyone actually seen a release from Garmin saying they were no longer making this product? If yes, I guess they changed their minds.

The product is right here on Garmins web site. Problem is, they don't bother putting version numbers or publish dates on any of their map products (that I can see).

Edited by danoshimano

The map viewer is definitely showing version 4. If anyone sees a real copy, take a picture.

Yeah, Garmin isn't very good at keeping a lot of stuff on their site up to date. Look at how long after CNNA 2009 was released before the map viewer stopped showing the older version. And how long the non-NT version of 2009 was in the wild before you could find anyone at Garmin who would admit that it existed.

In this case (Metroguide Canada update) I have had emails from people who should know, in Garmin's Product Support and in Cartography, swear that there would never be another update. That was back in April. This is one situation when I'm really happy that they were wrong.

...ken...

I wonder what it could possibly have that is not included in City Navigator. I doubt it could be much cheaper. At $99 CN is a pretty good deal.

If it follows the pattern of previous MetroGuide products, its not locked to a particular GPS. Also it will have more detail in rural areas as well as more details in the rivers/lakes/streams etc.

Dale

Yes, MG Canada was always MUCH more complete than City Navigator. Better water feature coverage. Better coverage outside of central areas, railways, powerlines....

To understand, CNNA NT 2009 is 90 MB for all of Canada. MGCAN4 is 290 MB........

Edited by Red90