Metal Detector - Cheating or Not Cheating?

Melancholy43920

I just started this and so far I am having a blast even though my find ratio is at about 50%. One of the containers was an ammo box in the deep woods with a heavy cover of leaves and it was only the 2nd cache I found and I'm pretty sure if I hadn't used my metal detector I might not have found it. Or at least it cut way down on the time it would have taken me to find it otherwise. It's the only one I have found using the metal detector but I was wondering if this is at all considered 'cheating'? Because if so then I will leave the detector at home next time I go out because I want to play by the rules. I'm just very new to this and figure I need all the help I can get lol. Especially since I am using a TomTom One (3rd gen.) as it is all I have and I really can't afford to buy another one just for this hobby.

I consider it "using tools to assist in the find"

I prefer to use my metal trekking pole to prod the leaf cover. But that's just because

1) I own a trekking pole

2) I don't own a metal detector

3) It's one less thing to carry

Ammo boxes make such a nice ringing noise when the trekking pole taps them!

I just started this and so far I am having a blast even though my find ratio is at about 50%. One of the containers was an ammo box in the deep woods with a heavy cover of leaves and it was only the 2nd cache I found and I'm pretty sure if I hadn't used my metal detector I might not have found it. Or at least it cut way down on the time it would have taken me to find it otherwise. It's the only one I have found using the metal detector but I was wondering if this is at all considered 'cheating'? Because if so then I will leave the detector at home next time I go out because I want to play by the rules. I'm just very new to this and figure I need all the help I can get lol. Especially since I am using a TomTom One (3rd gen.) as it is all I have and I really can't afford to buy another one just for this hobby.

If you want to pack a metal detector into deep woods, go for it. Some people use their dog's sense of smell to find some caches quickly (and they don't have to carry the dog). If you find the cache and sign the log, it's good. You set you own "rules" to determine what is "fair".

In my opinion, you can play the game any way you want to. As long as you follow the already established rules such as trading even, signing the log, and replacing the cache better than you found it....then the actual hunt is up to you. I personally enjoy the thrill of the hunt, and a metel detector would take that away from me. But if you want to use a metel detector, then go for it.

I wish my dog was more help in finding caches, but the nose is not what her ancestors were bred for... the only time she found a cache was when it was dead ahead on a path. That is the one cache that the scent trail wasn't scattered about by others searching. Every other one she just wanders around taking in all the smells while I look.

I don't have a walking stick, but at a lot of cache spots I find something to poke around with. I consider that no different than what you are doing. It's all part of the game...

As stated, a TomTom is not ideal for caching (although I used the same as you for my first cache hunt). You don't have to spend a lot to get a decent handheld, if you can put aside $20/wk you would have a new Garmin Venture HC in six weeks. A handheld is night and day to a car GPS... Might be able to find a deal in the garage sale section of the forum too.

PS, Cardinal Red... I have had to carry the dog through some nasty bushwacking...

I used a borrowed metal detector once in a cache hunt for the final of a particularly tough multi. It was a very expensive model owned by our surveying department (they use it to locate buried metal rods and plates that tend to mark property corners), and I was hunting for an ammo can.

Anyway, the detector did an excellent job of locating lots of bits of metal (rebar, bolts, etc.; you couldn't tell it visually, but at one time this appears to have been a construction dump site), but the very-well-hidden ammo can remained ellusive. Finally, I visually spotted the distinctive corner of an olive-green ammo can poking up out of the ground cover. It had been set in an existing hole and covered by a large rock, then all that was covered and camoflauged by about 9 months of leaves.

If you want to pack a metal detector into deep woods, go for it. Some people use their dog's sense of smell to find some caches quickly (and they don't have to carry the dog). If you find the cache and sign the log, it's good. You set you own "rules" to determine what is "fair".

I started geocaching because my dog accidentally found a cache and I read the paper inside and went to the website.

Heck, why do you think I cache with kids?

"Hey, go look under there for me. I need to sit down for a while."

That is where we cross the line into the cheating category :anicute::D

I consider it "using tools to assist in the find" B)

lol

I use my dog to find caches is that cheating?

Wow I just quoted myself

lol

Wow I just quoted myself

I quoted myself again

lol

Wow I just quoted myself

I quoted myself again

ok this is my last time

I once used a metal detector to try to find a cache in some very dense flattened brambles at what I thought was the solution to a puzzle.

I had looked there 3 times before bringing the metal detector.

Then I read something in the cache page that said that it wasn't the final and felt so stupid.

I once used a x-country ski pole (without the basket) to find a cache in 4 feet of snow. I found it on the first poke since it was exactly as described in that hint.

TomTom = Great for getting to the parking spot, not finding caches.

Actually TomTom is really a gas saver. With the new software version you can actually imput the destination in form of coordinates. In this way it gives you directions to the nearest drivable road to the cache. Once you park the car then you can use your normal GPS unit. I strognly reccoment this technique to everyone who own a TomTOm

If I had a "detector", I would use it if needed. Just another caching aid...Same as caching with a group of geocachers/buddies. One finds the cache and all get to sign the log....Now you can ask..."Is this legal"...

Don't know but it happen quite often, right?...Yea, then you hear....I saw the cache, but waited until all others sighted the cache too. Then we logged the cache...Yea, right...

I personally would say that it is not cheating, it's just a tool to use.

Keep in mind though that many parks restrict the use of metal detectors. If I recall, the Ohio State Parks only allow MDs to be used in beach areas, and require a special use permit to use them elsewhere. There can be fines and confiscation to be had if ya get caught out using a MD where you're not supposed to. That's why I sold my MD a few months ago, I just couldn't find enough places to use it legally. :)

Edited by Mr. 0

I too consider it a 'tool to assist in the find.' Personally I carry as little as necessary when hunting so I wouldn't carry one.

It would not be a benefit on some caches I have found including one in a downed lightpole, one under a stack of discarded water pipes, under discarded rolls of fence, etc.

just my $0.02.

I do think, however, that flying over the area in a helicopter with a giant electromagnet that would send the ammo can flying onto the air would be cheating :rolleyes:

Try that with GC1261V... in Sparwood BC... Let us know how you make out!

Doug VE7RXC

GC15HAN Harmon Park

we have had metal detectors, black lights, special lights with goggles, many homeade tools...

all to no avial. the helicopter might be a worthwile shot.

GC15HAN Harmon Park

we have had metal detectors, black lights, special lights with goggles, many homeade tools...

all to no avial. the helicopter might be a worthwile shot.

I checked that out... talk about DNFs... Make sure you guys find that before the lynching!

IF I ever get down that way I'll have to try at least once...

That one of mine, isn't that hard to find... it just seems that way to some folks.

I was more interested in seeing what the Helo would pick up there... did you look at all?

I think the metal detector might find something... for sure

Doug VE7RXC