Who is that masked man?

1) I never considered my RoadRunner account as "generic", but I guess it is. I'll try to liven it up a little.

2) Yes, I know who my local reviewer is and I am not giving up that secret.

3) The slight decrease in fun is offset my the great increase in fun when we get to see a cool cache hit the streets (even if it outside our normal range of caching).

Our reviewer isn't exactly hiding behind his pseudo account, he seems to be open about his non-superhero identity. I'd imagine there is a need for some separation though.

I think he's posted something to the effect that becoming a reviewer does take some fun out of it, specifically no more FTFs.

I'm just glad to have him, I think we have one of the best.

Though I really don't understand why TPTB don't have like 20 reviewers per state so one poor guy doesn't have so much work, and reviews would be even quicker (if that's possible)

Edited by Bad_CRC

Yes I know who my reviewer is :lol: and he is a very nice person!! :lol: I too have cached with my reviewer and its amazing to me that NO he didn't know where every cache was.

YES, he is a fantastic cacher, but after approving so many caches he said there is no way he could remember each one. Therefore the fun is still in it! B)

Have you hugged YOUR appprover today? :laughing:

Edited by SuzyJazz

Our recent local reviewers are/have been known by many local cachers. They do keep their identity fairly private nationally. If you were a local cacher well known to me, I might share some partial identity information with you. Otherwise, no way.

P.S. We even recognize when someone on our review area periphery is pulling our legs (2 or 4).

Since I'm a newbie, and haven't hidden a cache yet, the reviewers are somewhat of a mystery to me. I have emailed one but only got a couple of "form emails" back. I do understand the sacrifice they make for the community here, but it would be nice to see their human side.

At our last huge event, our local area reviewer, Heartland Cacher, staged a "What's my Line" type contest with three local cachers that had at one time or other been suspected of being Heartland Cacher. None of us, including the three local cachers, had any idea who the reviewer /really/ was... so it was a huge surprise when HE stood up at the end!

Classic. And a lot of fun. :)

Yes, I know my reviewer and exchange emails with him quite often. However, as has been stated, we did at one time have SC_Reviewer and that account was shared by a few reviewers although some of us know who they were. One of their identities I will keep secret. Some folks get to ruffled over some reviewers. :)

[what do you mean by reviewers?? I'm relatively new to caching (5 months). does this mean there are area people who review good and bad caches??

If this were the case, one would have no trouble understanding why the reviewers try to stay anonymous.

The reviewers review the cache submission for adherence to the guidelines for placing a cache. This means checking that the cache meet the proximity requirements and looking at maps to ensure the cache is not in a forbidden area (such as under a highway bridge). The cache page write up is also reviewed to ensure it isn't commercial or promoting an agenda. Most reviewers will also try to verify the correct cache type is selected. If everthing is in order the review publishes the cache so it appears on the Geocaching.com website. Reviewers used to be called approvers which was probably a more accurate term. Except that people would ask if that meant there are people who approve of cache that is good and disapprove of bad caches.

Edited by tozainamboku

While I respect other reviewers' choice to do so, I have no reason to hide my identity. Here is what I look like. Perhaps other reviewers will post their pictures, too, so that folks can get to know us better.

If you insist. ;)

Exactly where in New Zealand was this picture taken? And what's up with all the dogs? :)

You're cute. Are you seeing anyone? Do you like Jack Russells?

Sorry Patrick. I know it is hard to tell from photos (guys and gals sometimes just look alike these days), but I am a dude and I am straight.

:)

Flattery can get your cache that is too close to another one published though, so call me. Maybe we can hang out and cruise the local park for babes.

I see people who KNOW reviewers, not many actual reviewers here in this thread. I understand the need to hide, if they revealed what their Geocaching name people would be emailing them left and right. They need an ID like we need and INBOX. It sorts out the pestering emails about ones cache posting etc. I would still like to see the reviewers post a comment here, (They can keep their masks on).

Anyone who caches often, and attends events often will eventually gwt to know the true identity of their reviewers.

I've known the reviewers of the several New England states for years now, all but one who appears to desire to keep their true identity completely confidential. But I have a good idea who that is.

And just recently I met a couple dozen more volunteer reviewers (some for foreign countries) and groundsspeak employees at a great event in Massachusetts.

I personally thank all the reviewers for keeping us sometimes arrogant, egotistical, helpless, clueless, demanding, impatient (did I leave anything out?) hiders in check. And by the way I am speaking for all of us.

And as far as hugging Heartland Cacher (our reviewer for the Great State of Nebraska), he's uglier than the back end of Keystone's dog. Sorry Heartland. :laughing:

Dr. P

Edited by palser
While I respect other reviewers' choice to do so, I have no reason to hide my identity. Here is what I look like. Perhaps other reviewers will post their pictures, too, so that folks can get to know us better.

Here's a photo of me after a hard days work.

1cf1f031-09a8-4db9-85f5-3b3b77c61b8e.jpg

Thanks for sharing the secrets of what it takes to be part of the Groundspeak team.

I personally thank all the reviewers for keeping us sometimes arrogant, egotistical, helpless, clueless, demanding, impatient (did I leave anything out?) hiders in check. And by the way I am speaking for all of us.

And as far as hugging Heartland Cacher (our reviewer for the Great State of Nebraska), he's uglier than the back end of Keystone's dog. Sorry Heartland. :laughing:

Dr. P

I would like to state for the record that I have hugged Heartland Cacher, it was not a hard thing to do, and I enjoyed it.

However, I have never hugged, or even met, palser. :anibad:

Please do not start to post names as the following topic started to try out.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=206323

You only will make the reviewers have to make up new names, not port over existing finds (the few that some do have) to the new name, and just make life miserable for them.

Strange! I just found, via your link, that now-closed (thankfully!) thread. I find it very bizarre that the OP of that thread even started it, for there are many very good reasons for reviewers -- if they wish to do so -- to keep their reviewer identities separate from their regular everyday geo identities.

I have personally never been overly-curious about the identity of reviewers, and, entirely by accident, I have happened to learn over the years the identities of several local reviewers (in one case, a reviewer from a nearby state wrote a private email to me in response to a post I had made on a local forum and disclosed their role/status), and I frankly could care less. And no, I never share that information with anyone, as I see it as rather private and I wish it to remain so.

About the only thing that I have ever found somewhat shocking in this realm of reviewer identities was the series of repeated revelations made on this forum over the past couple of years that outed our very own Quiggle as a then-83 year old (now 84 years old) heavily tattooed cigar-smoking grandmother who lives in a remote rural part of Maryland, and who has a long felony record due to having been busted repeatedly by the feds for her string of moonshine stills scattered along the ridgetops along the border between Maryland and West Virginia. Very odd!

About the only thing that I have ever found somewhat shocking in this realm of reviewer identities was the series of repeated revelations made on this forum over the past couple of years that outed our very own Quiggle as a then-83 year old (now 84 years old) heavily tattooed cigar-smoking grandmother who lives in a remote rural part of Maryland, and who has a long felony record due to having been busted repeatedly by the feds for her string of moonshine stills scattered along the ridgetops along the border between Maryland and West Virginia. Very odd!

I remember hearing that story too. I was shocked -- and curious -- at the same time.