Trading Card Ideas

stevedet

I was thinking of making up some custom Geocaching trading cards to leave as swag. What would you rather find in a cache? A card that details a geocacher, or a card that details a cache. Obviously the cacher one would have a picture of the cacher or his/her avatar, while the cache card would most likely be a scenic picture of the cache location. Either card would obviously then have appropriate stats on them.

A long time ago, before I started caching, there was a cacher here in San Diego named Yrium. He started releasing trading cards named "Yrium's Pals" that had some of his caching friends on them. After awhile, he released a Travel Bug named the "UDesignIt Card" and issued a series called "UDesignIt" where the finder of the TB got to design the card. When Yrium passed on, another local cacher, FlagMan, took up the mantle and produced the "YMS" (Yrium Memorial Series) When another local cacher passed away in a motorcycle accident, there was a special BikeDog series. Not too long ago, after a brief hiatus a new series, Yrium TNG, has been started and continues now. These are highly sought after and whenever new design is released, there is a small stampede to the cache that is used as a distribution point.

Here are a couple of the cards:

3e177d62-0a79-4705-b21d-2bb298dea79f.jpg0e0266cb-c483-4c3f-874e-982e977dfc3a.jpg

I'm fond of these two in particular since I did the design and artwork for them... :lol:

The complete set can be found on the UDesignIt TB page.

Just wanted to add that I really, really love this idea...do you have any tutorial sort of help for others to make their own? I'd love to learn and come up with some as well. Got a few intriguing ideas, but not the production know how.

Thanks!

don't make your own unless you're a professional printer. the trading cards that are printed on gloss finish card stock are beautiful and durable (geolobo's come to mind) but what people print on their computers at home are much less durable and kind of cheesy.

Both would be cool. If you had caches from all over the world, then maybe one day you could actually go find one of the caches that was on the cards. If we found a trading card with cachers on it, then we could look forward to meeting them at an event.

Very cool idea.

Someone could make a mint if they did with trading cards what they did with pathtags.... Uh, and if MY post gave YOU (the royal you) the idea, how 'bout a deep discount for 'ol Snoogs. :lol:

Both would be cool. If you had caches from all over the world, then maybe one day you could actually go find one of the caches that was on the cards. If we found a trading card with cachers on it, then we could look forward to meeting them at an event.

Very cool idea.

Someone could make a mint if they did with trading cards what they did with pathtags.... Uh, and if MY post gave YOU (the royal you) the idea, how 'bout a deep discount for 'ol Snoogs. :lol:

Would be cool to see someone set up a site where you could submit a photo and some stats and have a card made. There are a few caches in the MT area who made cache-stats cards for all their caches and then have a personal card that is for events. But I haven't seen anyone doing those for several years now.

J

This idea was once suggested before and I immediately thought about playing cards like ace through king. I thought that it would be fun if several people made a deck of playing cards with their picture and left one in each cache they found. They then could trade with other cachers (at events for instance)in order to make a full deck or get cards from as many different cachers as they could.

Here's where you can make your own personalized playing cards. They also do trading cards and I would think they are finished so the colors won't readliy run like computer print outs.

http://www.bicyclepersonalizedcards.com/

Love the card idea too

And a cool little game of poker could be played you know ;-) Best hand wins - logging the card/stats to confirm the hand, and playing against other cachers by finding card caches to make up the winning hand. Maybe one TB sort of card could be considered a wild card?

Other games could be played as well.

So, new as I am and none of you know me or are used to me, I still have to toss my opinion on the table for this idea. I think it's great. I would collect and play this in a heartbeat! Count me in! :lol:

I was thinking of making up some custom Geocaching trading cards to leave as swag. What would you rather find in a cache? A card that details a geocacher, or a card that details a cache. Obviously the cacher one would have a picture of the cacher or his/her avatar, while the cache card would most likely be a scenic picture of the cache location. Either card would obviously then have appropriate stats on them.

Did you ever create any cards?