2 Weeks to log geocoins?

C A Royal Flush

While reading the "vacation geocoins" thread, it triggered a similar question in my mind. Has anyone else noticed a trend amongst cachers who believe you have 2 weeks to log a geocoin? It may stem from Groundspeak’s guidelines that a geocoin should be moved to a new cache within 2 weeks of a grab, or the owner should be notified.

When one of my geocoins is dropped in a cache, I put a watch on the cache and review new logs. On occasion, someone will note in their log that they grabbed my coin and not log it. If they still haven’t logged it in a few days I shoot them a friendly email reminding them to log the grab. For the most part, the cacher logs the grab, sometimes with an apology or thank you for the reminder.

Yet on three occasions in the last year I have received somewhat snotty responses telling me it has not been two weeks yet and they have two weeks to log the coin. On a fourth occasion, a cache owner marked one of my coins missing from their cache because it had been gone 10 days. The next day a cacher grabbed the coin and posted a scathing log to the cache owner chastising them for marking the coin missing because it had not been two weeks yet. They went on to say that Groundspeak says they have 2 weeks, the coin owner, (me), says they have two weeks, and they were tired of cache owners marking coins missing when they had not been given 2 weeks to log.

On all four of these occasions I checked the cacher’s logs to see if they were on marathon caching expeditions, (and thus extra log time could be expected), but this was never the case. Always just a few caches found within a few days.

These instances occurred in various parts of the U.S., so I don’t think the cachers know each other, and they USUALLY log the correct date that the coin was grabbed, so I don’t think the purpose is to keep the coin longer. They seem to think they have 2 weeks to log. Is this true?

I tried to find Groundspeak’s guidelines for logging a geocoin and could find none. Shouldn’t geocoins be logged at the same time as a cache find, if time permits? I’d be interested to hear from cachers who feel they have two weeks to log and how they feel waiting is a benefit.

I log it as soon as I get to the computer so that the coin owners, watchers, and later finders of the cache don't worry that it has gone missing. There is no need in my mind to wait at all; if it turns out that I can't go caching for a while or something I would just drop it in a local cache I've already found and "write a note" to log it's drop, or contact the owner to see if it's okay to hang onto it.

Just my 2 cents....

Shari of burgessfour

I actually log coin grabs *before* I log the caches themselves, in the interests of keeping the trackable info as accurate as possible. If I don't log a cache find right away, no harm no foul, no one is affected.

I do it this way, as I'm sure most do, because that's how I would like my trackables handled. My kindergarten teacher called it the better-than-silver-but-surprisingly-not-as-good-as-platinum rule, or something like that.

I've never had someone insisting on having two weeks (!) to logg a coin.

How ridiculus is that? Do they wait to log the cache as well?

Such a long time only happens on vacation. But then I try to note that in the logbook.

The two weeks are only the optional timeframe of holding on to a coin. At least that's how I understand it.

If it is possible to find out who might have taken the coin from the cache I also would write and ask them to log it. Never got a scathing reply though!

I always log the coin together with the cache. First my log, then my retrieves.

I've never had someone insisting on having two weeks (!) to logg a coin.

How ridiculus is that? Do they wait to log the cache as well?

On each of the occasions I mention above, the cache finds were logged immediately. It was only when I emailed them a few days later asking them to log the coin that they responded saying they had 2 weeks to do so.

The two weeks are only the optional timeframe of holding on to a coin. At least that's how I understand it

That's what I thought too. That's why I'd like to hear from someone who thinks the 2 weeks is for logging. I would have asked them directly but since the emails were already testy, and they had custody of my coin, best not to really make them mad.

Another note. When I received the first email saying they had two weeks to log, I responded explaining how disappointing it is to go to a cache expecting a coin and finding none. I got no response, and they waited 2 weeks to log the coin.

I would have to say that this is most likely someone who has "misunderstood" the two week guideline. (thinking it's for logging when in fact it's for holding on to the tb/coin) There are always people who do not read things thoroughly or rely on someone else to provide guidance, assuming they are correct.

It's clear from what you have said that these cachers are not on vacation (they logged the cache afterall) so who knows why they wait to log the coin. To me it would be downright inconvenient to log my caches and then a few days later go back and log the coins/tbs. Weird.

When reminding cachers to log my coins I haven't ever had a nasty response but I really don't have too many travellers. I suspect you are going to get these kinds of people in the game and I think you have done your best.

After I posted my note above, I read another post talking about how some people think it's rude to log a grabbed TB immediately in case the person who left it didn't have time to log it into the cache yet.

I find myself constantly befuddled by the polarity in viewpoints on this forum, and how passionate people can get about them.

After I posted my note above, I read another post talking about how some people think it's rude to log a grabbed TB immediately in case the person who left it didn't have time to log it into the cache yet.

I find myself constantly befuddled by the polarity in viewpoints on this forum, and how passionate people can get about them.

Well, if it isn't actually logged into the cache yet I give them time to log it into the cache.

As a courtesy for the next cacher I log TB's/Coins as soon as I can (which in most cases are as soon as I come back home). Sometimes I'll go for a cache just to see a coin I haven't seen in person and get bummed out when the coin was taken and not logged.

Edited by RifleMan81

Personally I'd never heard that the 2 week suggestion to move a coin was actually to be used to put off logging it out of the cache and into one's personal inventory. Sounds like another case of more folks who can't think past their noses messing with game pieces they have little understanding about.

As I understand it suggestions and guidlelines pertaining to travelers is a very grey area. No hard and fast rules here. People will do what they feel is right for them to do and the hell with the rest. Welcome to the real world.

My personal rule that has as much to do with good housekeeping as anything else has to do with logging the coin and cache at the same time then move on. Having to come back is messy record keeping and does not work with my use of GSAK. Why make extra work to log twice? Seems like a dumb use of time to me.

Edited by Droo

Well, if it isn't actually logged into the cache yet I give them time to log it into the cache.

Our usual practice is to log the trackable retrieved when we log the cache find. If the trackable hasn't been logged into the cache, we would first send a message to who was holding the trackable reminding them to drop it off before we resorted to grabbing the item. This usually works and keeps the miles travelled accurate.

Due to a number of our own trackables having gone missing, if we notice one listed in the inventory for a cache is not there, we will send an email to the owner of the trackable to let them know we didn't notice it in the cache.

These instances occurred in various parts of the U.S., so I don’t think the cachers know each other, and they USUALLY log the correct date that the coin was grabbed, so I don’t think the purpose is to keep the coin longer. They seem to think they have 2 weeks to log. Is this true?

I tried to find Groundspeak’s guidelines for logging a geocoin and could find none. Shouldn’t geocoins be logged at the same time as a cache find, if time permits? I’d be interested to hear from cachers who feel they have two weeks to log and how they feel waiting is a benefit.

I did some digging and found this...

"Is there any Travel Bug etiquette?

Use the Golden Rule when you find a Travel Bug. Most owners would rather see their travel bugs do a lot of travelling, so try not to hold on to a travel bug for too long. If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know. "

This I found under travel bugs HERE

Thought I'd let you know where they found it, right or wrong. (Wrong IMHO) I suspect they don't understand the difference between TB's and Coins, but IMHO they should both be logged as soon as you can.

FC.

I did some digging and found this...

"Is there any Travel Bug etiquette?

Use the Golden Rule when you find a Travel Bug. Most owners would rather see their travel bugs do a lot of travelling, so try not to hold on to a travel bug for too long. If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know. "

Thanks, that's the guideline I was looking for, and I can see where someone might not know the difference between "holding on to the bug" and "logging the bug".

When one of my geocoins is dropped in a cache, I put a watch on the cache and review new logs.

I, among many people, strongly recommend prompt logging. I don't however recommend micro-managing a coinbug. Too much effort, too much angst, too much annoyance, time better spent elsewhere.

Delaying logging for two weeks does seem unreasonable and I would pay good money for people to be reasonable. ...

However, two weeks is not enough time past to start emailing people, you don't know situation. And two weeks is too soon to move to an Unknown Location. Good chance of adding to the confusion.

I'm thinking - Let'em go and be happy when they write home. Otherwise forget'em.

Edited by BlueDeuce

:)

My understanding of coin / bug ettigute (SP ;) ) is that you log them and try to replace them within 14 days.

If you are unable to or want to keep it longer cos you are heading towards the coins destination then most owners are happy for you to hang on to them.

Also logging that you have removed the coin means the only people who are going to be dissapointed are the ones who arrive an hour after you have been there. Not those visiting 10 days later to move on an interesting bug or coin.

just my 2p worth from across the pond.

Ljay

I've only started Geocaching a week ago. Something I try to keep in mind is if I exchange something or pick anything out, I put in a short one line message when I sign the log sheet. For instance, 10/18/08 Tinkokeshi drop: cherub pin, take: USA pin.

Is this not done because it takes up too much room on the log sheet? :anicute: