Vote 2008

geoswag.com

I'm surprised that many geocachers think dressing a moose qualifies one to be VP.

After all the great moose pictures posted in an earlier thread it's clear that moose hunting is a challenging sport that requires great marksmanship, courage and executive skills (or is that execution skills??).

I'm surprised that many geocachers think dressing a moose qualifies one to be VP.

After all the great moose pictures posted in an earlier thread it's clear that moose hunting is a challenging sport that requires great marksmanship, courage and executive skills (or is that execution skills??).

Maybe having been Governor of Alaska is what qualifies her to be VP? Just a thought... :lol:

BTW, I vote for geocaching, too B)

Edited by GBOTS

Maybe having been Governor of Alaska is what qualifies her to be VP? Just a thought... :lol:

I'm even more surprised many people think being a pot smoking, cocaine snortin' domestic terrorist lovin' community organizer qualifies one to be the president. But that's just me.

Edited by Mopar

You know, I like coming here to get away from politics!

You and me both MJ...

Politics have taken over Off Topic, can we keep the coin forum about coins?

But if I did want to promote an agenda* :lol: I have a question.... I notice it's a pre-sale; will the coins arrive before the election?

*by dropping one in a cache

Edited by ThirstyMick

Please accept my abject apologies :laughing:

Edited by GBOTS

Id do have a preference, but I'm not going to give it away. B)

I did however order three coins yesterday. :lol:

1 x Vote '08 (Democratic-Republican)*

1 x Vote McCain (gold)

1 x Vote Obama (gold)

So I didn't swing the survey either way. :laughing:

I will say this: I may release the Vote '08 for travel, but I'm hanging on to the Vote McCain and Vote Obama coins. They are great memorabilia that should strike up some pretty interesting debates at events and meets (I can already tell from the way this thread has gone). :lol:

* By the way, the McCain and Obama coins are being minted in Gold and Nickel. What metal will the Vote '08 (Democratic-Republican) coin going to be minted in?

Edited by tom4props

Did you follow this fine print when using the logos on the coins?

By downloading the Obama for America ("OFA") logo from this site, you agree that you will use the logo only for your personal, non-commercial use. You cannot market, promote, sell, or exchange anything that bears this logo. To avoid having to register with the FEC, you should limit your printed flyers, posters, or other materials for any event to 500 or fewer.

This was taken from Obama's site I am sure there is something similar on McCain's site.

Edited by Atwell Family

I'm even more surprised many people think being a pot smoking, cocaine snortin' domestic terrorist lovin' community organizer qualifies one to be the president. But that's just me.

You shouldn't talk about our local reviewers that way Mopar! It's just not nice. :lol:

I'm surprised the guidelines for geocaches, or a similar version, doesn't apply to trackables since the target community is the same; the geocaching community.

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

I may understand that a travel bug is difficult to control since the picking of an object, to attach to the tag, is out of Groundspeak's control. But the geocoins ...aren't they approved by GS before being produced?

I'm surprised the guidelines for geocaches, or a similar version, doesn't apply to trackables since the target community is the same; the geocaching community.

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

I may understand that a travel bug is difficult to control since the picking of an object, to attach to the tag, is out of Groundspeak's control. But the geocoins ...aren't they approved by GS before being produced?

There is no agenda or promoting of any political candidate.

By downloading the Obama for America ("OFA") logo from this site, you agree that you will use the logo only for your personal, non-commercial use. You cannot market, promote, sell, or exchange anything that bears this logo. To avoid having to register with the FEC, you should limit your printed flyers, posters, or other materials for any event to 500 or fewer.

This was taken from Obama's site I am sure there is something similar on McCain's site.

It seems that this question still remains unanswered by the OP, even though they posted several more times in this thread since then. :)

mm

Id say either which way you go, sent traveling, niether would have much of a cache life!

Beings we actually have an option of another party here, Im gonna Vote Geocaching! ...It may be the only time I can actually make a difference! :)

Other than that...we're doomed, we've been doomed and the next clown will have one heck of a mess to sort through!

All we can do is HOPE! ;) Guess its better than the alternative! ;)

Id say either which way you go, sent traveling, niether would have much of a cache life!

Beings we actually have an option of another party here, Im gonna Vote Geocaching! ...It may be the only time I can actually make a difference! :)

Other than that...we're doomed, we've been doomed and the next clown will have one heck of a mess to sort through!

All we can do is HOPE! ;) Guess its better than the alternative! ;)

But there is always HOPE

It seems that this question still remains unanswered by the OP, even though they posted several more times in this thread since then. :)

mm

Mike always wants to bring up copyright issues in other vendors threads. I really dont know why he does it. There are other threads about copyrights which he could bring this up in if this was an issue.

This thread is not about copyrights nor is it about politics. In the US, citizens are given a right, a right to vote to make this country better. To me, voting is a personal choice and I take it very seriously.

Edited by nielsenc

mm

Mike always wants to bring up copyright issues in other vendors threads. I really dont know why he does it. There are other threads about copyrights which he could bring this up in if this was an issue.

This thread is not about copyrights nor is it about politics. In the US, citizens are given a right, a right to vote to make this country better. To me, voting is a personal choice and I take it very seriously.

Copyright is a good question about this coin and thus, should be asked here. You'd rather they ask in another thread where the OP might not even see it? Whether the OP addresses the issue is another matter altogether.

And you're right, voting is a personal and serious issue, it definitely shouldn't be brought to us here in the forums where we wish to escape from it. I know, we could ignore it and hope it dies away soon, but I could say that about any topic which is abusive, disrespectful etc. If, by not voicing our opinion about this thread, we allow threads like those be brought up, we are opening ourselves to anarchy.

If this thread were only about the coins, great! We all know (as is demonstrated in the post I quoted alone) that isn't the case as politics are being discussed here in more posts than not!

Let's keep it about the coins. I voted not to buy any as I don't agree with the message being sent!

Copyright is a good question about this coin and thus, should be asked here. You'd rather they ask in another thread where the OP might not even see it? Whether the OP addresses the issue is another matter altogether.

We saw it and we would see it in the copyright thread.

If this thread were only about the coins, great! We all know (as is demonstrated in the post I quoted alone) that isn't the case as politics are being discussed here in more posts than not!

We had hopped this thread was going to be about the coin and not about the polictics.

That being said, to answer other questions: The McCain/Obama coins will be limited to a total of 250 each, 125 Gold and 125 Nickel. No more will be made. They will ship before the end of the month.

We have asked the Mods to close this thread.

Edited by geoswag.com

We saw it and we would see it in the copyright thread.

We had hopped this thread was going to be about the coin and not about the polictics.

That being said, to answer other questions: The McCain/Obama coins will be limited to a total of 250 each, 125 Gold and 125 Nickel. No more will be made. They will ship before the end of the month.

I wouldn't close the thread, you made a coin and deserve to promote it! I would ask that all who post stay on topic though!!

Don't misunderstand my comments, whether I agree with the coin or not doesn't mean a thing here. The comment about the copyright was merely to point out that here is the place for the question. I might not agree with the coin or the message, but the fact that you made it and others are buying it shows that free-will is a great thing!

btw...I never doubted you had adequate permission to use any trademarks!! :anicute:

I voted not to buy these coins as I find them distastefull!

I don't see what the presidential election has got to do with geocaching or coins.

For me that's advertising big way, which I can't condone.

Caches won't be published in Germany if you so much as state in the description that there's a nice café near by, where one could get great homemade cakes. Just because it's considered advertising!

I wonder what this coin might be about if not advertising!

I won't buy it!

Not even the Geocaching version...

Just my two €cent...

ElliPirelli

We had hoped this thread was going to be about the coin and not about the polictics.

:anicute: Why would this thread not include unwanted political statements when you actively promote the following:

Right now, between McCain and Obama the stats are:

McCain - 48%

Obama - 52%

Between Geocaching, McCain and Obama the stats are:

Geocaching - 18%

McCain - 39%

Obama - 43%

An unacceptable marketing technique IMO just to sell coins.

mm

Edited by Map Monkey

btw...I never doubted you had adequate permission to use any trademarks!! :D

We searched, there are no Obama/McCain Trademark we could find.

I put "Obama Logo" into google and came up with

If you didn't want the debate in here perhaps you should not have posted the coin, it has nothing to do with caching, other than the one that says vote for caching, and if we are here, I don't think we need to vote for it, certainly not with a coin that will forever be associated with two others in this series.

Of course if you give the coins away - I guess they can't be considered commercial :anicute:

we are not giving any money to avoid FEC laws.

We searched the trademark database and found nothing.

As for geocaching related, they are trackable.

In the end all the negative posts only help the sales as it keeps the threadon top.

What part of you will use the logo only for your personal, non-commercial use do you not understand?

we are not giving any money to avoid FEC laws.

We searched the trademark database and found nothing.

As for geocaching related, they are trackable.

In the end all the negative posts only help the sales as it keeps the threadon top.

A quick and simple search brings up the following:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc...tate=l1n9lk.5.1

Whether coins are covered or not in the trademark, i'm not sure, however to say that you searched the trademark database and found nothing, doesn't answer an easy question from Tooey and others.

Wow, i hope that your company doesn't really stand behind this statement, as it is very arrogant and disappointing to see a supposedly reputable company tout the "sales by any means" concept. :anicute:

mm

we are only pointing to what happens when people keep hashing over what we think is a small matter.

We searched and didn't find anything at the time yet you want to continue saying the same thing. If we did say or sell something to offend you we are truley sorry. When it comes to trademarks it isn't cut and dry like a Disney geocoin. We said it before and will say it again, we have no agenda here. We are sorry you are upset about this coin.

Personally I think the OP is arrogant. For one I would not "searched the trademark database", I would just contact the campaign HQ and ask about using the image. The OP is basically stating that the images are not trademarks which is once again even more arrogant. Go ahead and sell your coin, just don't whine too much it something happens due to the trademarks.

When I made my coin recently I contacted mozartman to use is version of the 10 commandments of geocaching and also Dave Ulmer to make sure using his name was okay with him as mozartman used it in one of the commandments. Happily they both gave me the go ahead, I just need to send them their coin.

maldar

I believe we have been contrite in trying to explain things. For some reason, no matter what we say, people are going to try to 'twist' our words for whatever reason.

We tried to explain what we did and how we searched for the trademark database to see if there was a trademark. We didn't think that either side would be upset if we did this. Has anyone been to 7-11 lately? That is where we had the 'idea'. We didn't expect it to turn the way it did. Just like 7-11, we had a different option, the Geocaching Option.