Caching Through The Snow #5 - Fifth and Final?

Team Rampant Lion

Mark your calendars. I've confirmed the date with Kroghs for Sunday, December 7th.

Why the reference to "Fifth and Final"? Well, my company has decided to move to San Francisco in 2009 (with or without me) so certainly some status change will occur. Anyway, if you've always wanted to attend a Caching Through The Snow Event but haven't - this would be the year to plan for it. Here is the

from last years event if you need a sense of what goes on.

As usual, we will have a pre-event hike that will be at 9:00 AM somewhere (Treequest is sending me lots of ideas). Watch this thread for the location.

Let's pray for snow and have another great event!

Yeah - early enough before I go to Florida - Can't wait.... It was sooooo much fun the last couple of years...

I suspect if they really move Kevin we'll just have charter a plane and come to do caching in the San Francisco Valley instead of the snow :(

Edited by geobernd

Mark your calendars. I've confirmed the date with Kroghs for Sunday, December 7th.

Why the reference to "Fifth and Final"? Well, my company has decided to move to San Francisco in 2009 (with or without me) so certainly some status change will occur. Anyway, if you've always wanted to attend a Caching Through The Snow Event but haven't - this would be the year to plan for it. Here is the

from last years event if you need a sense of what goes on.

As usual, we will have a pre-event hike that will be at 9:00 AM somewhere (Treequest is sending me lots of ideas). Watch this thread for the location.

Let's pray for snow and have another great event!

..through the snow ws my first event. I don't think I can handle it if this is the last! Will be there!

Here is the Caching Through The Snow #5 EVENT PAGE.

Here is the coin design I am working on for the event. It will be a 1.75 inch coin. It will NOT be trackable - it's a tough economy and this will help keep the coin cost down. I will have 100 made. Let me know your interest - event attendees have dibs.

63270628-de43-4dcb-8310-71330383c88d.jpg

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

Something is a little fishy with the forums.. The Pugnuts just triple posted and the Posts count for them is at 1. Also, in another topic I posted after Mountainracer but his timestamp is at 12:xx and mine is 11:xx... how could I have posted before him when my Post # is less than his. Technology is crumbling!

Would anyone be interested in hitting up the following caches after the event?

GC18602 Ridge Field Foul Cache

GC1ER58 Ponderings

GC1BFVB Trunnel

GC1BFWX False summit

GC1BGX6 Almost Over # 3 " Below"

GC1BGV8 Abandon Graphite Mine

GC1BGVM Oogle Google Gurgle

Looks to be about 1-2 miles of hiking along a trail nearby.

Looks like the event is going to need to take over all of Krogh's for the day!

I expect to be bringing along a crew of about 10, including myself, for the pre-event hike and event. We might also be interested in that post-event hike too.

I'll want to get a coin again this year, and I'll post again if anyone else in my group wants one.

Hi,

Mr. Procrastinator here. I've been a bit distracted with a few other events but did finally get around to getting my butt in gear. This year the pre-hike will be in the Weldon Brook WMA in Sparta. It is closer to the actual event location (Krogh's) so we won't have the drive time issues that causes some delays last year.

There is parking at this location ==> N41 00.938 W074 36.938. This is just off Route 15. Let's plan to meet here at 8:45 AM so the hike can promptly start at 9:00 AM.

A couple of recommendations (based on my learnings from today placing a few caches in the pouring rain):

1. It is worthwhile to Google "Weldon Brook Wildlife Management Area Map" and study the lay of the land. While generally similar terrain to the Sparta Edison area - there is more swamp land here.
  2. Given #1 above, dress as if you might have to traverse a swamp.
  3. Hiking poles are recommended as in a few spots you need to traverse boulder fields.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

TRL

For everyone who is attending the event and related activities, it would be a great help to me if you can tell me the following:

1. How many are in your group? (And what is their geocaching name so I don't double count)
  2. Are you coming to the pre-hike?
  3. Do you want a coin? If yes, how many?

Remember that if you don't register on the Cache page with your geocaching name, you will miss out on some goodies.

Also, please revisit this thread on SATURDAY NIGHT to get any updates. Although the parking coordinates will be the same as posted above, I may move the initial meeting place for the pre-hike into the woods (about a 10-15 minute hike in). I will post the coordinates here if I do decide to do that. I will also post any weather updates.

Current forecast: SNOW flurries

Looking forward to a great event - also want to acknowledge treequest for helping out.

PS - For those of you who have not been to the Weldon Brook area before, here is a map of the lay of the land. Existing caches are marked by gold stars, new ones in blue. There will be more blue ones after Saturday. I am trying to time it to have the postings go live Saturday PM. If that doesn't happen, I will bring a Cache sheet.

As you can see, lots of great caches to find ;) :

401f450b-c208-4932-a018-7bdf375ca194.jpg

For everyone who is attending the event and related activities, it would be a great help to me if you can tell me the following:

1. How many are in your group? (And what is their geocaching name so I don't double count)
  2. Are you coming to the pre-hike?
  3. Do you want a coin? If yes, how many?

Remember that if you don't register on the Cache page with your geocaching name, you will miss out on some goodies.

Also, please revisit this thread on SATURDAY NIGHT to get any updates. Although the parking coordinates will be the same as posted above, I may move the initial meeting place for the pre-hike into the woods (about a 10-15 minute hike in). I will post the coordinates here if I do decide to do that. I will also post any weather updates.

Current forecast: SNOW flurries

Looking forward to a great event - also want to acknowledge treequest for helping out.

I posted on the site that I'm planning on attending the prehike, but wanted to be thorough and post here, too. I am probably bringing the youngest cacher with me again. We will definitely want a coin, and if you have any extras from last year, I'll buy one of those, too (since I couldn't go at the last minute last year).

I'll check back here on Saturday night.

I'm NOT up for the pre-pre-hike. A person has to sleep some of the time... :D

--Pokey

It would be great if they could go live fairly early Saturday PM as some of us have to leave home at 6 AM Sunday to meet friends and drive there and doing a PQ at that hour will be hard :D

I created a pocket query for the area to email to my phone Saturday & Sunday. Is that an option for you? Just a thought... :laughing:

It would be great if they could go live fairly early Saturday PM as some of us have to leave home at 6 AM Sunday to meet friends and drive there and doing a PQ at that hour will be hard :laughing:

Most of the caches on the map (in gold stars) are already posted. Between treequest and I, we are hoping to add 7-10 more. We will do our best to get them up as early as possible. But I can't make promises on the GC posting of these new ones. The reviewer (Pofe) has offered to try as best as possible to review these to get them published but they do have a life outside and timing may not work out. Particularly for those we post late Saturday.

If nothing else, I guess I could post the names/coordinates here late Saturday afternoon. At least then you could enter them while warm and toasty at home as opposed to a freezing cold parking lot.

:laughing:-->

QUOTE(brian b @ Dec 4 2008, 03:50 PM) 3736945[/snapback]

I am looking forward to this hike. The map is helpful, but quite deceptive!

Also, it looks like LOTS of people will be at the event. Can/Will Kroughs be able to handle all of us?

There is an enormous group so far this year (about 80 confirmed to date). We will be reaching the Krogh's capacity limit so it will be important for everyone to try to make it there as close to 12:00 (noon) as possible. It will be FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED for seating.

If like last year, some people don't mind being in the bar area of the restaurant it should not be a problem.