Political Agenda

sweetlife

The "no agenda" guideline for caches has been around for years. But last year, Groundspeak clarified to the volunteer cache reviewers that the "Support Our Troops" phrase constituted an agenda. (This is borne out by the sign I pass each week on the way to church: "Support Our Troops: End the War!")

If a full investigation of a handful of caches were launched, perhaps we would discover that either (1) not every reviewer got the memo, or (2) a cache owner made changes to their listing after publication. Neither makes for a "double standard."

So, why not archive them now that you know they are violating the guidelines?

1. Because none of the caches are in the review territory for which I'm responsible.

2. Because I have better things to do than to seek out non-conforming caches outside my review territory.

If you're troubled by this handful of caches, you're welcome to contact their owners.

There is no rule against TBs and geocoins promoting an agenda. There is a rule against cache pages doing it.

Is this not the pot calling the kettle black????

Good for the goose is good for the Gander????

All comes down to the all mighty dollar$$$$$$

Not really.

They only allowed it on the TBs and coins, because people complained of them not being flexible on the cache pages.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Again, I don't think the problem is with banning agendas from cache pages. The problem is that a yellow ribbon is NOT an agenda. I work for a city Fire Department. We participate in red shirt Fridays. Its a movement to show support for the troops. Our shirts say "we support our troops" and have a yellow ribbon on them. Its not PRO-War or Anti-War. Its just a message that we appreciate their sacrifice. The "troops" don't get a say in where or what they do. If I put a political button on my uniform I would be disciplined as we are not allowed to promote political agendas in uniform.

So whats the agenda? :anicute:

Again, I don't think the problem is with banning agendas from cache pages. The problem is that a yellow ribbon is NOT an agenda. I work for a city Fire Department. We participate in red shirt Fridays. Its a movement to show support for the troops. Our shirts say "we support our troops" and have a yellow ribbon on them. Its not PRO-War or Anti-War. Its just a message that we appreciate their sacrifice. The "troops" don't get a say in where or what they do. If I put a political button on my uniform I would be disciplined as we are not allowed to promote political agendas in uniform.

The problem is, not all support our troops. This game is open to all in the world, it's a global game.

"We Support the Troops" is absolutely an agenda.

You stated in right in your post. You stated "We participate in red shirt Fridays. Its a movement to show support for the troops."

That's an agenda. It doesn't necessarily have to be a political agenda to be an agenda. It's an agenda whether or not people agree with it. It's promoting a particular viewpoint.

And don't get me wrong, I support the troops. But it's still an agenda. And it's still not allowed.

The problem is, not all support our troops. This game is open to all in the world, it's a global game.

Yes it is, and its traditionally American but a cache page is for a cache in a particular area. The question still is whats the agenda? Here some history of the yellow ribbon. :D:DB)

Yes it is, and its traditionally American but a cache page is for a cache in a particular area. The question still is whats the agenda? Here some history of the yellow ribbon. :D:DB)

I'm sure there's not a single Iranian or other middle easterner anywhere in the USA that had differing views...but that's besides the point. Would you want a cache allowed that said DEATH TO AMERICANS? It's a global game.

1. Because none of the caches are in the review territory for which I'm responsible.

2. Because I have better things to do than to seek out non-conforming caches outside my review territory.

If you're troubled by this handful of caches, you're welcome to contact their owners.

One other thing which hasn't been pointed out...

What one cache is, doesn't provide precedence for the next cache. So calling out a cache in this thread to be archived is quite inappropriate.

What one cache is, doesn't provide precedence for the next cache. So calling out a cache in this thread to be archived is quite inappropriate.

I kinda thought the demanding attitude toward Keystone was a bit inappropriate as well, but that's just MHO. Especially when you could simply post an SBA to the page or write the local reviewer. Don't expect to win any popularity contests when you become known as the cache police though... :anicute:

I'm sure there's not a single Iranian or other middle easterner anywhere in the USA that had differing views...but that's besides the point. Would you want a cache allowed that said DEATH TO AMERICANS? It's a global game.

How does a yellow ribbon = DEATH TO AMERICANS? A yellow ribbon is just a symbol of support it is nether for or against war or a political policy or ideology.

I understand its a global game. Not sure what your trying to get at. If the rule said "nothing offensive to anyone" there would be no caches. The rules say no agendas.

SO AGAIN whats the agenda? Its not an agenda.

How does a yellow ribbon = DEATH TO AMERICANS? A yellow ribbon is just a symbol of support it is nether for or against war or a political policy or ideology.

I understand its a global game. Not sure what your trying to get at. If the rule said "nothing offensive to anyone" there would be no caches. The rules say no agendas.

ummm...the fact that our troops are killing their people (no matter how we see them, they're still someone's loved ones), and the fact that the yellow ribbons support the troops, I'd guess that might be how some would see it. Do you want TPTB allow us to support our troops, would you like it if someone named a cache support terrorist actions against Americans because we hate their troops (or DEATH TO AMERICAN'S for short since I thought the connection was obvious...guess not)?

And guess what, if TPTB say it's an agenda, it's an agenda whether we agree or not! As was said, put the ribbons IN the cache if you desire.

eta: guess I wasn't the only one to feel those political coins weren't a welcome sight in the forums??

Edited by Rockin Roddy

.... snip ...

From your link, here's what the agenda is.

Main Entry: agen·da

an underlying, often ideological, plan or program

Supporting the troops is absolutely, 100%, positively an agenda. The same as NOT supporting the troops is an agenda. Why is that difficult to understand?

Again, it's NOT about whether or not it's offensive to anyone. It's not about that at all. It's about promoting an issue. Any issue. And promoting an issue is not permitted. Simple.

Supporting the troops is absolutely, 100%, positively an agenda. The same as NOT supporting the troops is an agenda. Why is that difficult to understand?

Again, it's NOT about whether or not it's offensive to anyone. It's not about that at all. It's about promoting an issue. Any issue. And promoting an issue is not permitted. Simple.

Bingo.

Really I saw those coins and thought that was kind of cute. I'm glad they had two version's one with each candidate. Or else then it really would have been an agenda. :anicute:

Who care's, it's a geo-coin if you don't like it don't buy it or don't pick it up from a cache.

If you want to support your troops in your cache go ahead. Put some ribbon inside as suggested before or put some reading material on how one can help to support the troops. It's really not something to make a big deal out of in my eyes.

As far as I can tell, it's not so much a matter of support vs honor. Both statements: "Support Our Troops" and "Honor Our Troops" could be perceived as agendas by the powers that be. They no longer allow cache pages that have agendas, so neither statement would be healthy on your cache page. TB's and coins have a lot more latitude in them. Swag is virtually unregulated. If you want to push an agenda, these are the avenues I would recommend.

As far as I can tell, it's not so much a matter of support vs honor. Both statements: "Support Our Troops" and "Honor Our Troops" could be perceived as agendas by the powers that be. They no longer allow cache pages that have agendas, so neither statement would be healthy on your cache page. TB's and coins have a lot more latitude in them. Swag is virtually unregulated. If you want to push an agenda, these are the avenues I would recommend.

Clan I have to agree with you on this one. If someone would like to help support our troops instead of leaving the links to the website they are wanting to show off they could use a TB and mark it to stay with in that cache and use that to spread the word they would like and post what they are trying to plug on the TB page. This would work for no only those trying to support the troops but other noble causes as well and it's ok to do in the guidleines.

I'm using the "support our troops" as a generic example but this can work for other causes that a cacher would like to make known to others.

See there are ways around everything. :anicute::D

edited cause my spelling sucks

Edited by Parabola
I think people might be getting wrong idea. The cache I was talking about never said "Honor Our Troops." It was called Patriots Ever Mighty and it was placed to remember a student at a local HS (Orange Glen Patriots) who lost his life in the first Gulf War. It isn't promoting any agenda and the reviewer agreed with that. Edited by TrailGators

I kinda thought the demanding attitude toward Keystone was a bit inappropriate as well, but that's just MHO. Especially when you could simply post an SBA to the page or write the local reviewer. Don't expect to win any popularity contests when you become known as the cache police though... :anicute:

Believe me, I'm not in this to win any popularity contests. I could care less what people here think of me.

I'm just trying to understand why the double standard. THere are 16 caches out there that support the same agenda that someone else was told they couldn't have on their page. At least 14 of them have previously had SBA posts put on them. THose were summarily deleted. But the caches remained without modification.

What gives?

Believe me, I'm not in this to win any popularity contests. I could care less what people here think of me.

I'm just trying to understand why the double standard. THere are 16 caches out there that support the same agenda that someone else was told they couldn't have on their page. At least 14 of them have previously had SBA posts put on them. THose were summarily deleted. But the caches remained without modification.

What gives?

I think that would be a question for the cache owner and or the person that reviewed them. Each reviewer does interrupt the guidelines a little differently but for the most part they all do have the same general concept's. If the SBA logs disappeared it's probably cause the cache owner deleted them due to they don't agree with those logs.

I kinda thought the demanding attitude toward Keystone was a bit inappropriate as well, but that's just MHO. Especially when you could simply post an SBA to the page or write the local reviewer. Don't expect to win any popularity contests when you become known as the cache police though... B)

What gives?

I think that would be a question for the cache owner and or the person that reviewed them. Each reviewer does interrupt the guidelines a little differently but for the most part they all do have the same general concept's. If the SBA logs disappeared it's probably cause the cache owner deleted them due to they don't agree with those logs.

:anicute: I love the Freudian slip. :D

Edited by TotemLake

Clan I have to agree with you on this one. If someone would like to help support our troops instead of leaving the links to the website they are wanting to show off they could use a TB and mark it to stay with in that cache and use that to spread the word they would like and post what they are trying to plug on the TB page. This would work for no only those trying to support the troops but other noble causes as well and it's ok to do in the guidleines.

I'm using the "support our troops" as a generic example but this can work for other causes that a cacher would like to make known to others.

See there are ways around everything. :anicute:B)

Of course there are ways around everything in life. :D

JI makes the point that TPTB can't control the contents of the cache. This is fine. No problem with that. Even though I have removed several religious tracts from my own caches in the past, but that's my own choice.

But Groundspeak profits from every single geocoin or TB, that can have any agenda they want. Obviously offensive and controversial things like the illegal alien geocoin aside. I don't get it, sorry.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

As the OP I would like this thread closed, wasn't trying to make this a witch hunt for other caches with ribbons on them or political agendas on them was merely posting a Black and White difference in opinion, We were not trying to cause trouble, and wouldnt want any caches archived because of this, We have changed our cache pages and will resubmit them with no political agendas on them.

PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD

Barry of sweetlife

What gives?

So why are you posting on a sockpuppet then?

PS: Why does my post say ringbone?

Supporting the troops has nothing to do w/KILLING Iranian's or other middle easterners. I'm sure there are a few thousand who are in the U. S. armed forces...............

I kinda thought the demanding attitude toward Keystone was a bit inappropriate as well, but that's just MHO. Especially when you could simply post an SBA to the page or write the local reviewer. Don't expect to win any popularity contests when you become known as the cache police though... :anibad:

What gives?

Cache Addickt???? This person just became a cacher on Oct 16th and is deep in this discussion. Said cacher has found NO caches to date. Me thinks he/she has an AGENDA..... :laughing:

Supporting the troops has nothing to do w/KILLING Iranian's or other middle easterners. I'm sure there are a few thousand who are in the U. S. armed forces...............

Did you read ANYTHING I wrote?? Try seeing it from someone's eyes who DOESN'T support our troops...ok? I hope I made this as simple as I could!

The fact that our troops ARE killing people others might call loved ones means some will think supporting our troops amounts to supporting killing whoever the loved ones are. Therefore, some might see supporting our troops as supporting killing...ok? An agenda, no doubt. SHEESH!