Photo Slideshows Using Cooliris (formerly known as PicLens)

MissJenn

Have you wanted a dynamic slideshow feature to view photos on geocaching.com? Many of our pages have been recently configured to work with Cooliris (formerly known as PicLens). A couple of pages are not quite ready yet - we are working on those.

Cooliris is a browser add-on (also known as a plug-in) that "enables rich, full-screen slideshows that go beyond the confines of your browser window." Have a look at the full explanation and the "Guided Tour" at their website. It is best seen in action rather than just described with words:

http://cooliris.com

If you like it, you can download it for free and enhance the way you look at photos on geocaching.com. The process takes just a few minutes. Cooliris works on most of the commonly-used browsers: Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera. Other browsers may also be compatible.

Cooliris is not a Groundspeak product. Please contact Cooliris directly for any technical support.

Here is a screenshot of a cache page gallery at geocaching.com using Cooliris. Unfortunately, this (below) is simply a static shot. The real thing moves in so many fun ways:

422ae03a-bd86-4d8c-81bb-aedd54fb4373.jpg

Indeed, I saw it in another discussion regarding google and loaded it in. Very cool stuff.

It works on gallery pages and when searching images on Google.

Edited to add that I got an error in IE. I will try it at home when I get to my 2.0+ version of Firefox (yes, still v 1.5 at work).

Edited by mtn-man
The process takes just a few minutes. Cooliris works on most of the commonly-used browsers: Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera. Other browsers may also be compatible.

I cant download the plugin, it says i have an unsupported browser. And i use Opera.

\h

If you notice the post by MissJenn, she has a slash through Opera, I think meaning it's not a supported browser.

If you like it, you can download it for free and enhance the way you look at photos on geocaching.com. The process takes just a few minutes. Cooliris works on most of the commonly-used browsers: Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera. Other browsers may also be compatible.

I cant download the plugin, it says i have an unsupported browser. And i use Opera.

\h

If you notice the post by MissJenn, she has a slash through Opera, I think meaning it's not a supported browser.

That wasn´t there at the time i posted, so she must have edited it.

\h

Unfrotunately, CoolIris has not done their thing for Opera and says basically that they don't plan to. And a lot of people here use Opera.

I fired up Firefox to see what all the fuss is about, but it didn't work for me. Maybe I'd be interested if I could get it to work, but so far it's not doing anything for me. Firefox seems to hang on all attempts to contact img.geocaching.com when CoolIris is active, making the whole thing moot.

Edward

I tried this when it first came out and disabled it after a few days, guess I'll have to put it back on. thanks for doing this, I enjoy looking at pictures on cache pages, and there hasn't been a good way to view just the full pictures without clicking through a lot of logs individually till now.

thanks. :lol:

Unfrotunately, CoolIris has not done their thing for Opera and says basically that they don't plan to. And a lot of people here use Opera.

That's not really true. In their FAQ, they say, "Opera and Safari (Windows) are fantastic browsers, and we can understand why users love them. However, due to resource constraints, our team needs to wait until the user base for these two browsers grows a bit."

Wikipedia puts Operas worldwide usage at .71% compared to 71% for IE and 19% for FF. I used to use Opera and loved it, but understood that, because it's not used very much, most web developers weren't going to develop add-ons for it.

Edited by Skippermark
upon playing, it seems to work for me on the cache page, but not in any gallery pages. Is this still being worked on, or am I doing something wrong?

I believe that's the case. I installed it on FF, and it works well, but so many caches don't have many pictures that it's not really worth launching it for 2 or 3 images. For caches with lots of photos, its great, and when they get it to work with people's galleries, it'll be even better. The solution is that people need to start taking more pictures and add them to cache pages. :)

I use Firefox 3. I downloaded the app, installed, reopened my browser session (all the earthcaches in the Moab Utah area - a nice feature of Firefox is that it 'remembers' and reloads on request your open tabs) and spent the next hour cruising some awesome photography on our website! Great tool, especially for planning travel-related caching. I'll be able to find those caches which motivate the finders to post photos of awesome places to visit... my kind of geocache. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, MissJenn.