MB COINTEST - they are finally here!

Boom!pa

Well. I'm a quite disappointed that my batch of coins have not gotten here yet as the plan was to have them all here by the 7th of October. I was even hoping that the geocaching gods were looking down on me on the 15th (my b-day) but no such luck :laughing: ! As of right now, we have tracked it down to have being slowed down by customs. Regardless, I apologize for the delay for our MB coins.

This cointest is open to all of you who are patiently waiting for your coins.

There will be 3 prizes in this cointest: 1 MB original personal coin, 1 MB brick coin and 1 MB ghost coin

hmmm...now for what to do.....got it!

as you can probably guess, I enjoy a video game or two. I want you to name your favorite videogame past or present and tell me a bit about it.

only one entry per person, there will be 3 winners, one by my choosing (for my favorite game out of all the entries) and 2 will be drawn from all the entries.

the cointest end date will be the day I recieve my shipment {hopefully tomorrow! but perhaps next week :unsure: }

and the cointest starts now!

I'm not waiting on the coin - so I'm not sure if I can enter the contest.

However, I will NOT miss an opportunity to tell you of the greatest video game of all time - DONKEY KONG!

Not the dumb handheld or console versions either - but the true, classic arcade version. The one with the Pie-Factory Level.

DONKEY KONG has fear, barrels, love, and jumping.

DONKEY KONG is misunderstood, but mean

DONKEY KONG started the entire Mario universe and has given us more games and joy than any other character in the world!

There is no more famous video game character than Mario - there is no more evolved character than our friend and foe - the DONKEY KONG.

Finally - the KONG we understand - where did the DONKEY come from? What is the relationship between an Ape and a Donkey? The barrels? Is there a mastermind donkey that we will only meet in the far future? Is the donkey controlling the KONG? Did the donkey bring the barrels for the KONG?

In the end - all other games pale in the shadow of DONKEY KONG. They all want to be DONKEY KONG, but none shall be.

Haven't played video games in a long time. My favorite game is perhaps Myst and oh my, its 15 years old.

Bah! Myst is an island created by the DONKEY KONG in order to confuse you.

If you get the the center of MYST island - what do you find? That's right - barrels. In fact, every game since DONKEY KONG has a barrel somewhere in it to pay tribute and avoid getting barrels thrown at the creators.

Look for them.

Some are invisible, but they are there.

Now here's a cointest I can get into! I'm a long-time fan of video games. MORROWIND is at the top for me. Who can resist all that questing, magic, plant gathering, and real-time battling??!! (#'s 2-5 would be Myst, Diablo, Fallout and that Atari Haunted house game where you were just a couple of little eyes in the dark....)

Zork... fell in love with all the Infocom titles on the Commodore 64 and probably enjoyed some of them more than Zork (HHGTTG!) but it was the original Zork that got me hooked.

Infocom's games were interactive fiction games, all text, where you typed all your actions. I enjoyed these games so much that it got me interested in programming in basic on my C64, which only led to further geekiness for years to come. Zork changed my life!

And just because... you can actually play Java versions online...

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

Go ahead, open the mailbox... you know you want to.

Lemon Fresh Dog - you have me cracking up here at work :laughing:

I remember as a kid saving up loose change to get the original nintendo. The original nintendo games were cool and I still have fond memories of two in particular - Jaws and Friday the 13th (that game always made me jump out of my seat - ha).

Nowadays I would think the best game has to be Guitar Hero/Rock Band just for how addicting they are. I think if you spend more than 30 seconds holding the guitar your hooked! How does anyone play on expert level?!? Sick :unsure:

Ok - and now for my official entry... Jurassic Park for super nintendo. Dinosaurs and night vision goggles FTW. Who can deny the fun of walking around in a dark building with raptors trying to eat you! The sad thing is I wonder if I'm the only person who like this game :P

PS - I think T-Rex could take Donkey Kong.

Zork... fell in love with all the Infocom titles on the Commodore 64 and probably enjoyed some of them more than Zork (HHGTTG!) but it was the original Zork that got me hooked.

Infocom's games were interactive fiction games, all text, where you typed all your actions. I enjoyed these games so much that it got me interested in programming in basic on my C64, which only led to further geekiness for years to come. Zork changed my life!

And just because... you can actually play Java versions online...

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

Go ahead, open the mailbox... you know you want to.

Need I say it?

BAH!

If you re-arrange the letters of ZORK, turn one side-ways and replace the "R" with a "G" - what do you get?

KONG!

Ha! to ZORK! Open the mailbox so the DONKEY KONG can throw a barrel into your FACE!

Lemon Fresh Dog - you have me cracking up here at work :laughing:

I remember as a kid saving up loose change to get the original nintendo. The original nintendo games were cool and I still have fond memories of two in particular - Jaws and Friday the 13th (that game always made me jump out of my seat - ha).

Nowadays I would think the best game has to be Guitar Hero/Rock Band just for how addicting they are. I think if you spend more than 30 seconds holding the guitar your hooked! How does anyone play on expert level?!? Sick :unsure:

Ok - and now for my official entry... Jurassic Park for super nintendo. Dinosaurs and night vision goggles FTW. Who can deny the fun of walking around in a dark building with raptors trying to eat you! The sad thing is I wonder if I'm the only person who like this game :P

PS - I think T-Rex could take Donkey Kong.

Bah!

DONKEY KONG killed the T-Rex and all his friends - it's called EXTINCTION! - look it up!

As for guitar hero? Try playing it when someone is throwing barrels at you!

Frogger!

Pumped many a quarter into that game at the local Safeway store when I was in high school, ohhh, how I loved that game! I still can remember the music for it! So brutal if you got run over, but sooooo fun otherwise! I graduated in 1984, so this is a long, long time ago, lol!

Naomi :laughing:

Next time you play Frogger - look at the far right of the screen where the logs are being launched. See those frightening hands!? Yep. It's our friend DONKEY KONG! He's sending those logs along the river in order to reach the BARREL FACTORY so they can be turned into barrels and made into a REAL video game!

:unsure:

Frogger!

Pumped many a quarter into that game at the local Safeway store when I was in high school, ohhh, how I loved that game! I still can remember the music for it! So brutal if you got run over, but sooooo fun otherwise! I graduated in 1984, so this is a long, long time ago, lol!

Naomi :laughing:

Next time you play Frogger - look at the far right of the screen where the logs are being launched. See those frightening hands!? Yep. It's our friend DONKEY KONG! He's sending those logs along the river in order to reach the BARREL FACTORY so they can be turned into barrels and made into a REAL video game!

:unsure:

I'll be so happy to learn what Mr. Kong has to do with my all time favorite game, Tetris??

This is, of course, not an entry, but I just gotta know!!!

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Pitfall!!!!! The classis and all time best selling game for Atari

Remember Pitfall Harry running through the jungle swinging on vines and jumping crocodiles? (I know he also jumped LOGS not barrels LFD!! LOGS doesn't rhyme with KONG but they do have two of the same letters. Maybe if I said them with a Canadian accent? :laughing::unsure:) Anyways he was looking for 32 treasures and could use ladders to desend to a lower level to see if he could collect more. The game ended at 20 minutes.

I was taking a rather boring class and for my study "breaks" I played Pitfall. I got hooked or maybe it was just avoidance. In any event my goal wasn't to see how many treasures I could collect but to see what happened at the end of the 20 minutes--if a message popped up saying I won or something. (Do numbers really count? :P ) Throughout the class we had 6 equally spaced tests. 600 was absolutely great and 300 was on the other end of the spectrum. I alternated between 300 and 600. Can you tell which ones I played Pitfall while "studying" for the tests? LOL I did find out what happens at the end of 20 minutes but you will have to play it to find out as I'm not telling!!!!

That's a true story and I'm sticking to it!

Easy!

In 1979, DONKEY KONG was working for a secret government agency that was seeking to end the Cold War. While in Russia, he didn't have access to any "round" shapes. The Russians hadn't invented the shape "round"

Need proof? - look at any Russian cartoon.

Anyhow - Tetris is, in fact, the Russian version of DONKEY KONG. The barrels are square and instead of Mario climbing and jumping barrels, the barrels stack-up until Mario is elevated to the place where DONKEY KONG can grab him!!!!

Can't see Mario or DONKEY KONG?

Of course not! It was a "covert" operation!!!

Remember Pitfall Harry running through the jungle swinging on vines and jumping crocodiles? (I know he also jumped LOGS not barrels LFD!! LOGS doesn't rhyme with KONG but they do have two of the same letters. Maybe if I said them with a Canadian accent? :laughing::unsure:) Anyways he was looking for 32 treasures and could use ladders to desend to a lower level to see if he could collect more. The game ended at 20 minutes.

I was taking a rather boring class and for my study "breaks" I played Pitfall. I got hooked or maybe it was just avoidance. In any event my goal wasn't to see how many treasures I could collect but to see what happened at the end of the 20 minutes--if a message popped up saying I won or something. (Do numbers really count? :P ) Throughout the class we had 6 equally spaced tests. 600 was absolutely great and 300 was on the other end of the spectrum. I alternated between 300 and 600. Can you tell which ones I played Pitfall while "studying" for the tests? LOL I did find out what happens at the end of 20 minutes but you will have to play it to find out as I'm not telling!!!!

Bah!

Who do you think OWNS all your fancy little swinging vines? DONKEY KONG does - DONKEY KONG owns the vines, he owns Pitfall and he owns YOU!

Bah!

Who do you think OWNS all your fancy little swinging vines? DONKEY KONG does - DONKEY KONG owns the vines, he owns Pitfall and he owns YOU!

NOPE!! Tarzan is the true owner of the wines!!!!! So there!!!! (AND if Tarzan wants to own me well.......)

1) Tarzan may have been King of the Apes, but DONKEY KONG is an Ape GOD! Bah!

2) What do you think happens when you fall in a pit in the jungle?

3) Wooden logs are just barrels that haven't reached their potential.

As for Circus. You will notice there are no apes in that game. DONKEY KONG escaped and took them all with him - Diddy Kong is an example.

The Mad Bomber of course. came out right after Pong. on atari. and its initials are MB!!! how is that for coincidence? i beat my kids regularly on this one! and yes, that makes me older than dirt.

gotta love google:

The Mad Bomber is loose in the city and he's dropping bombs everywhere! It's your job to catch them before they hit the ground and explode. Luckily, you have a set of trusty buckets to extinguish them with.

Mad Bomber is a clone of the excellent 1981 Atari 2600 video game "Kaboom!" by Larry Kaplan of Activision.

and then i had a loft and for $25 bought an old video arcade game called, i think, Dr. Do. but i am not sure. maybe someone remembers, had ladders and such. i spent HOURS on that until i got a mac. and then it was shanghai!

and myst.

and solitaire

we love games.

RSG

Ah, Q-Bert

This guy had to hop on a pyramid-like structure of tri-colored cubes. Q-Bert's purpose is to hop around the tops of these cubes, changing every square to a specific color (e.g., from blue to yellow). On early levels, the player's task is as simple as a single hop on each cube. Later rounds become more challenging: cubes have to be touched twice, cubes change back to the wrong color if they get hopped on again, - I never made it past this stage.

He had 3 main enemies, If I remember right. - "Coily" the snake appears at the top of the pyramid inside a purple ball, bouncing toward the bottom of the screen. Other threats came from "Ugg" the purple pig and "Wrong-Way" Not sure what he was.

My other had to have been, Dig - Dug and Asteroids ( loved the noises) :laughing:

P.S. Happy belated birthday ( mine was the 14th :unsure: ) Aren't Libras GREAT!

My favorite game from the past and a game that still makes my brain hurt is Duck Hunt for "old school" Nintendo. HOW DOES THE GUN WORK!??!!!???!!!?! Sometimes after the dog had me driven to depression and humiliation I would attack the clay discs, at least they couldn't hurt me mentally like that darn dog.

My favorite game from the present is the Splinter Cell series for PS2. It's a game that requires quick reflexes and stealth. Actually it's a lot like caching I guess.... except the wares for SC are a little more lethal than those I use caching (unless I'm attacking a nano LOL!).

Thanks for the cointest!

oooooookay.

This should get a laugh.

I had NO IDEA that the MB in this thread stood for Mario Brothers.

What are the chances of me being a Donkey Kong fanatic and not picking up on that?

I just saw the other thread showing the coin. Doh!

LOL...that's hilarious!....I have a question for you...what did you think the MB stood for?

Well, what a great contest. If I have to pick a favorite game I'd first have to break it down to arcade vs console/pc. If we're talking arcade it's Golden Tee Golf. I can play that stupid game for ever while enjoying a nice drink at the local pub.

But if it's any game, I'd say my favorite is Counter Strike. Something about it just keeps me hooked for hours and hours. The graphics are great and the objectives are simple and to the point. It's a FPS where you can be Counter Terrorists or Terrorists. One sides objective is to stop the other. You play with other people on the internet and it feels great to totally own someone else and listen to them complain about how good you are. And then of course come the claims of hacking, which I take as a compliment.

oooooookay.

This should get a laugh.

I had NO IDEA that the MB in this thread stood for Mario Brothers.

What are the chances of me being a Donkey Kong fanatic and not picking up on that?

I just saw the other thread showing the coin. Doh!

LOL...that's hilarious!....I have a question for you...what did you think the MB stood for?

I didn't really think about it. I thought it might be a person's initials or some organizations initials.

It as pretty funny when I saw the coin thread showing them.

Of course - it proves my point that DONKEY KONG is the greatest game of all-time.

oh oh i have to decline my post to win. I have gold mario brothers (sqauare) coins that i am waiting on. Not these halloween coins. so sorry!!

ps - Thanks for the chuckle LFD :(

I noticed that my wording was a bit off as this cointest was for anyone waiting for and MB coin (ghost, brick, original) but my wording states anyone waiting for a coin. And since I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts today as I dread going to work this afternoon, the "my choice" winner can be anyone awaiting ANY coin out there and for the two draws they will be chosen out of people who await any MB coins. Hope this clarifies things. Sorry if it was misleading at all! (this means your still in loridarlin!)