Ten favorite Cache items?

Rose Red

I have found a numerous caches that have dirt, twigs, leaves, etc. and "toys" that children would not even want. What are your ten favorite cache items?

A good writting untensil and dry log book!!!

(Pretty simple I guess...I really don't want too much)

:laughing::P:unsure:

What? You expect a writing utensil? I'd settle for just the dry log book!

I have found a numerous caches that have dirt, twigs, leaves, etc. and "toys" that children would not even want. What are your ten favorite cache items?

A good writting untensil and dry log book!!!

(Pretty simple I guess...I really don't want too much)

:laughing::P:unsure:

EVen easier, ill bring my own pen, just have a dry log book!

I always have a blue-sharpie with me...but just think how surprised one would be if the pencils one left in the cache at time of placement were still there!!!

:laughing::laughing::P:laughing::laughing:

I usually drop in a couple pathtags with new caches that I place...and every once in a while for caches I have found...

What are pathtags?

1. A pathtag

2. lapel pins

3. keychains

4. Signature items

5. Off wipes

5. Extra batteries

Sorry anything else would not interest me.

Pathtags are metal tags that you can log like a geocoin, but you get to keep them. www.pathtags.com

Becoming very popular - I have two designs myself.

1. A pathtag

2. lapel pins

3. keychains

4. Signature items

5. Off wipes

5. Extra batteries

Sorry anything else would not interest me.

Pathtags are metal tags that you can log like a geocoin, but you get to keep them. www.pathtags.com

Becoming very popular - I have two designs myself.

What are signature items?

I started out dropping batteries in a personalized (ok...a simple label) 35mm Film Container...but found out that people really were not grabbing those from caches. Found out later what batteries will do to the inside of caches. I felt bad enough cleaning some of my caches out where they "went bad"...felt even worse for the owners of the caches in which I dropped batteries after finds.

They were good, fresh batteries too...not used...like so many of the golfballs one finds now these days...

Signature items could be anything to represent something a cacher typically leaves in every cache. Some use wooden nickels since they are inexpensive. I left "Remove Before Flight" key chains early on but don't do that anymore. If there is a cache I especially like, I leave a tiny red devil duck in it.

tn11114.jpg

Nothing rocks more than hand made signature items. I love those. For example, here is a small token that AtlantaGal made and left in some caches. People spend a lot of time on these. Hers even glows in the dark (sorry for the poor dark picture). The actual size of this is around the size of a quarter.

IMG_8059-640.jpg

Anyone can have a geocoin or a tag made, so those don't excite me near as much as something that a person spends their own time in creating things such as these tokens. I wish I could do something like that.

You own 19 multi-caches but have no idea what signature items are?

You are a regular in the forums and when I met you at the MA event recently you had no idea I was a "Site Wide Moderator" in the forums. It says that right under my name in every post. Just because someone owns a bunch of caches doesn't mean that they have to know every nuance of the site, just as someone who posts a lot in the forums doesn't necessarily have to know the moderator team's duties by heart.

What are signature items?

You own 19 multi-caches but have no idea what signature items are? I can kind of understand your not knowing what pathtags are but really?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx

http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

The caches for my 19 (now down to 17) historical geocaches are small with only room for a log. I recently replaced two of the caches with medium size caches. I have occasionally seen wooden nickels however I do not look that closely at the contents of caches that I have found. Mostly it is "toys" that children would not even want sometimes mixed with dirt, twigs, leaves, etc. I just sign the log, replace the lid and rehide the cache.

Edited by Rose Red

you had no idea I was a "Site Wide Moderator" in the forums.

I'm sorry, but I don't make it a habit of knowing, by heart, every person in the forums signature, s.i.c.

As for not knowing your title, I don't think that actually came up when you and I talked. But did you and I talk? Even I was wearing a mtn-man name tag for a while, along with at least 25 other people there. I talked with a lot of people and a lot of sock puppet people since at least a few people there went by at least 2 different names.

Perhaps I'll have to make a list of people in the forums that I have good rapport with and have that on me at all times so that when I meet some dozens of new people I don't know I'll be able to say;

oh wait, are you...,

did you say on 6/7/8 the following...,

Is your avatar, today, a picture of the following...

Are you currently at 3,456 cache finds, and 234 hides?...

I don't have electronic access to the internet right inside my head 24/7, I wish WiFi were like that as in some Charles Sheffield stories from the 1980's.

1. a dry log book

2. geocoins

3. pathtags

4. travel bugs

5. sig items/ wooden nickels

6. anything geocaching related (like magnets or pins)

7. bug repellent wipes

8. hand sanitizer

9. anything else useful - NO batteries, they will corrode

10. action figures (my boys like these best) or other decent toys, if you cache with kids

Self designed business card signature items are always good. You can collect thousands of those and they take up absolutl\ely no space. But of course they are not as nice as pewter or fired clay or other homemade signature items.

I'm hoping to get a Western Mass Clan metal sig item, the proof of concept one I saw a while ago looked fantastic. Perhaps this Saturday while we all share ice cream, hint hint, I'll get one! But there I go off on a secant again.

1. a dry log (implying a waterproof container) that isn't already full

2. hand-made sig items

3. any other sig items, including pathtags and "business" cards

4. in-theme trinkets (like sig items, but for the cache)

5. hitchhikers (TBs, GCs, whatever)

I always have my own pens (including Sharpies, if needed).

I'll trade for the sig items and in-theme trinkets, and add them to my collection.

I'll move the hitchhikers.

Beyond that, I really don't pay much attention to what's in the cache.

This thread is getting more tangents than a geometry class. Let's bring it back on topic, shall we?

Sorry, only a site-wide moderator can do that. If only one was reading this thread and could do something about it.

Back to the topic. What are your ten favorite cache items? No one mentioned a small bottle of water?? Money??

But did you and I talk? Even I was wearing a mtn-man name tag for a while, along with at least 25 other people there. I talked with a lot of people and a lot of sock puppet people since at least a few people there went by at least 2 different names.

Practical tip: When you meet a site volunteer, sniff them. The real mtn-man smells like dog.

On topic, here are my top ten favorite cache items:

Campbell Russian hamsters

Chinese hamsters

Common European hamsters

Golden hamsters

Longtailed hamsters

Roborovskii hamsters

Rummanian hamsters

Striped hamsters

Tibetan hamsters

Winter White Russian hamsters

Things I would love to find in a cache:

Diamonds

Savings bonds

gold

100 dollar bills

any precious gems

any precious metals

Things I would realistically like to find:

clean and dry log book (I carry my own pens/sharpies)

hand made sig items

pathtags

Travel bugs

Geocoins

My daughter loves jewelry beads and just now said she wants to start collecting lapel pins

My son loves compas and cars

<snip>

Back to the topic. What are your ten favorite cache items? No one mentioned a small bottle of water?? Money??

Actually, many people consider leaving money in a cache as bad form. Others may feel ist is acceptable.

As far as water, I guess it would be OK in a pinch. But if I were out of water, I wouldn't be at the cache. I would be headed home. Also water bottles in desert caches taste like plastic. The contents of a desert ammo can could reach over 150 degrees.

Sometimes a cache has what you need. One day I was preparing to do some work in the garage but my safety glasses were broken. I was caching the next day and there was a new pair of safety glasses. Today, they would be an OK trade item.

So.. Since I seldom trade any more, signature Items and a Log Book would be the only things I would expect.

<snip>

Actually, many people consider leaving money in a cache as bad form. Others may feel ist is acceptable.

As far as water, I guess it would be OK in a pinch. But if I were out of water, I wouldn't be at the cache. I would be headed home. Also water bottles in desert caches taste like plastic. The contents of a desert ammo can could reach over 150 degrees.

Sometimes a cache has what you need. One day I was preparing to do some work in the garage but my safety glasses were broken. I was caching the next day and there was a new pair of safety glasses. Today, they would be an OK trade item.

So.. Since I seldom trade any more, signature Items and a Log Book would be the only things I would expect.

I never thought that leaving money in a cache would ever be considered bad form. I do not trade much these days and therefore do not carry much in the way of trade swag. Because of this, i have left money a couple of times when taking something that caught my eye or that i just happened to need such as a pair of aa batteries.

As far as top ten items we like to find in a cache:

1. Dry logbook

2. Signature items, especially homemade.

3 - 10. Hmmmm, really can't think of anything else.

My favorite 20 things I once found in a cache was a Canadian $20 bill.

I kept it in a convenient place and used it recently at the first ever Mega-Event in Canada.

Other paper money I've placed in my small collection since it's unlikely I'll ever go to Saudi Arabia or other such places.

I also love coinage from foreign countries, and even tokens.

Good thread...

1. dry logbook

2. any good non McDonalds Happy Meal toy.

3. Marbles

4. flashlight

5. compass (any hiking swag)

6. pathtags

7. batteries (I have needed em, and used em from a cache)

8. Camera from cache owner for pics to be taken and left in cache

9. Swag for my Dog

10. money :lol:

Perhaps I'll have to make a list of people in the forums that I have good rapport with and have that on me at all times so that when I meet some dozens of new people I don't know I'll be able to say;

oh wait, are you...,

did you say on 6/7/8 the following...,

Is your avatar, today, a picture of the following...

Are you currently at 3,456 cache finds, and 234 hides?...

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I always have this information pinned to my shirt.

Anyway, I don't have ten but things that I appreciate seeing are:

* The cache. I'm thrilled when it's there and I found it.

* A TB. I try to make an effort to move them around. I'm going to IN in Nov and will take one or two with me.

* CITO bags

* Geocaching/Waymarking merchandise

* Directions to an unlisted Letterbox

* A dry logbook with a writing utensil that works

* Extra pens and pencils thrown in as additional security that there'll be something there to write with

* Something the kids would like since they enjoy trading swag as an everytime thing.

- Elle

I love love love TB's!!!!!! I found one recently that was a civil war memorial coin, it was so neat (that one is on it's way to Utah for Thanksgiving so be on the look out).

Batteries, don't need them cause I always bring my own extra and they can be dangerously messy

Water, same case! What if it springs a leak?!?!?!

Oh, and I have a friend who likes to collect the playdough that some people leave even though I generally don't approve of perishable items being used as swag... he's a weird cookie though so I let it slide :rolleyes:

P.S. never seen one of those pathtag thingies around here but they sound cool, let's bring them to the AV!

I love love love TB's!!!!!! I found one recently that was a civil war memorial coin, it was so neat (that one is on it's way to Utah for Thanksgiving so be on the look out).

Batteries, don't need them cause I always bring my own extra and they can be dangerously messy

Water, same case! What if it springs a leak?!?!?!

Oh, and I have a friend who likes to collect the playdough that some people leave even though I generally don't approve of perishable items being used as swag... he's a weird cookie though so I let it slide :rolleyes:

P.S. never seen one of those pathtag thingies around here but they sound cool, let's bring them to the AV!

Some of the coolest things I have found are (in no particular order):

1. A pair of binoculars

2. An electronic Sudoku game

3. Pathtags (non-trackable, so I don't feel bad holding on to them for a while)

4. Custom geocoins, not just with cacher-creator's name, but themed around their name (e.g. Jayel57 looks like a Heintz 57 logo).

5. Live animals... that's always exciting (usually just spiders, but hamsters would be cool too)

6. Where's George dollar bills and state quarters

7. Foreign money and coins

8. Surprises... smething spring-loaded that pops out at me

9. Geocaching.com stuff (a GC.com shirt, & a GC.com water bottle)

10. And lastly... a dry logbook.... preferrably one that has never been found or signed before. I especially like the official geocaching.com logbooks.