virtual geocaching at the airports

Oh - when in Copenhagen Airport, I think I grabbed three caches. Not sure if they are all still there (actually I am pretty sure one is archived). But it is a breeze to go through security there, so might be worth your while if you have time.

When I went through Copenhagen airport I had about a 5 hour layover so instead of finding the caches at the airport I took a train downtown, found 3 or 4 caches and got back in plenty of time for my connecting flight.

How about this one, actually on a public airport that is part of a military base.

http://coord.info/GC2R4D5

It took about 3 weeks of "hoop jumping" to get it approved - by "several" reviewers.!!

Has been very popular - up to 23 Travellers in it at one time.

This is a GREAT cache! We met a female security officer going off duty just after we signed the log, and she thought geocaching sounded like great fun. Good cache to seek in the spring, in between the Snowbirds' morning and afternoon airshow practice sessions!

Oh - when in Copenhagen Airport, I think I grabbed three caches. Not sure if they are all still there (actually I am pretty sure one is archived). But it is a breeze to go through security there, so might be worth your while if you have time.

When I went through Copenhagen airport I had about a 5 hour layover so instead of finding the caches at the airport I took a train downtown, found 3 or 4 caches and got back in plenty of time for my connecting flight.

I went through Copenhagen to and from Aarhus. So I got my first Denmark caches in Aarhus. I had about 2 hours on my way back, so that is when I got a couple more.

I was just in the Prague airport yesterday and grabbed a regular cache... in the airport! Literally just below the check-in desks in the international terminal! :ph34r: I suspect that happened with getting the right permissions, and it probably helps that geocaching is very popular in the Czech Republic (cache in question for those keen).

I have to date only heard of two virtuals inside secured areas of airports- the O'Hare one, and the Frankfurt one, mentioned here earlier. Beyond that I know there are virtuals in Washington Reagan and Atlanta in the parking lot areas, but the winner for me was an Earthcache in a cave under the Dubrovnik airport. Spectacular!

I've also found physical containers in Budapest, Geneva, Vienna... probably a few others too, usually in the parking area. The long and short of it is this: in the USA where the TSA and "terrorism threat alert" is forever on high, good luck getting something approved at an airport. The rest of the world is more lax about these things (proof: you can wear shoes through security) so geocaches can be allowed if you ask the right person.

I had no problem getting Denver airport's permission for the earthcache. But I agree, airports will be tough in the US. If anyone ever flies into the Europort (Basel, Switzerland - although technically in France) there is a great cache a short walk out of the terminal. GC1R9QK